Notices

Really Scared

Old 08-25-2020, 06:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Really Scared

I had a martini last night. After 476 days. I'm really scared.
Old 08-25-2020, 06:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are you sober today?

You drank and you cant change that. Yesterday has gone and today is a new day. Your alcoholism has been lit so you need to extinguish that flame straight away before it becomes a full on inferno. You do not have to throw in the towel because of one drink.

Stay close to SR

❤🙏❤🙏
Old 08-25-2020, 06:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh SoHard, that must be really scary.

What can you do today to make sure you don't take another drink? I would've thought today is really vital you don't drink...do whatever it takes to protect yourself today

(as every day is of course!)
Old 08-25-2020, 06:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What led you to drinking that Martini? On a monday evening of all days. Identifying the trigger will help you going forward.
Old 08-25-2020, 06:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was just feeling very anxious. I have anxiety and am on medication for it, so I usually don't feel anxious actually. I'm not sure what happened. I just felt chemically off. So I used it as an excuse to have a drink.

I know it's a drug in a beverage. That's all. I WILL NOT allow myself to get sucked back in. It was a slip, not a lifestyle. I HAVE to believe my neural pathways are strong enough to keep going in my new life. I am BETTER, and STRONGER, and WISER than I was 476 days ago. I WILL NOT allow this to ruin me. I GOT THIS!
Old 08-25-2020, 06:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Over a year sober..Congratulations for extending your life....this happened to me after 8 years and it hasn't ended well...after I took the first drink I thought...wow..that wasn't bad...now I will just go back to NOT drinking like I did for 8 years....

Maybe the fact that you came on a website and confessed to your drinking (which you didn't have to do)....maybe that means that you are in fact enough upset about the drink than I was when I picked up and maybe you have a better chance of just continuing on the sober path that you were on than I did.

After my first drink after 8 years I mistakenly thought....Ok, I can drink now once in a while...and for the first 6 months I did that....I drank "normally" as far as distance between drinking ...like every 3 weeks...but when I drank I never drank "normally"...always over did the drinking....and eventually ended up again drinking in mornings to alleviate hangovers...and then the 6-7 and 20 day binges started to occur..

I hope for your health, safety and well being of your family and affairs...what happened to me does not happen to you....and again the fact you posted about it to me is a positive sign.....But, alcohol addiction does not care if we are posting or not....it all comes down to how YOU feel and how your brain processes this slip....

Many people can say things...plant seeds...be there for you...but it comes down to "us" when we are alone. I chose to keep testing the waters, because I struggled with coping with life....and what it has done to me is shortened my life....made me feel bad about myself...hurt my family and friends...and its not that I didn't "care" it is that once I put alcohol back into my body after a long period of time....for some reason.....(probably brain chemistry)...I did not find it easy to stop again....

Currently, I am on 38 days....
In 2018 I had 8 months.....but after putting the alcohol back in my system after not having it for 8 years really surprised me that it is NOT JUST THAT EASY to go back to "sobriety" as I knew it.

I wish BETTER for you.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

From what I've read on here, people who relapse after a long stretch like yours end up doing one of 3 things:
-they say F it, and continue to drink and wait for the day that quitting will be easier. We all know where that leads.
-They rationalize moderation and spend all their time trying to control it....but we all know where that leads (see previous)
-They get scared and run for the hills. They feel the fear and use it as a lesson learned to further solidify their sobriety.

I'm so glad to see you are running for the hills.

On the upside, your experience is not lost on others here. I'm only 7 months sober yet and my biggest fear is what just happened to you. It's a huge reminder to all of us, that the AV is always there, waiting to pounce.

Old 08-25-2020, 07:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I appreciate all your thoughts. They do make me so scared and feel really screwed, though. I'm sincerely frightened.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just wanted to send you some support and love just now.

You have achieved an amazing amount of sober time......it's not gone. Take a deep breath and keep going
Old 08-25-2020, 07:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Sohard, you're right to be scared. My slow descent back into H3ll started with one little drink. Hope it goes better for you.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
I just wanted to send you some support and love just now.

You have achieved an amazing amount of sober time......it's not gone. Take a deep breath and keep going
THANK YOU! The scare tactics and tales of how it went wrong for others don't help me (although I appreciate they are coming from a good place). I need positive thinking. I'm desperate for it. I really needed this comment of yours. THANK YOU.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well, in that case what are you scared OF? It's up to you what you do now, there is nobody gonna force you to drink or make you repeat your actions of yesterday.

I understand it being scary but in reality you are scared of your own potential actions, and you are in control of those. That's what your 400+ days have taught you.

So I go back to - what are you going to do today to make sure you don't drink? Do stuff to protect your sobriety today and on day 730 this will be a small blip in the distance.

What you gonna do for the rest of the day?
Old 08-25-2020, 08:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Be123 View Post
Well, in that case what are you scared OF? It's up to you what you do now, there is nobody gonna force you to drink or make you repeat your actions of yesterday.

I understand it being scary but in reality you are scared of your own potential actions, and you are in control of those. That's what your 400+ days have taught you.

So I go back to - what are you going to do today to make sure you don't drink? Do stuff to protect your sobriety today and on day 730 this will be a small blip in the distance.

What you gonna do for the rest of the day?
I'm scared that this is the start of an avalanche. I just want to be one of the ones who DOESN'T say "one drink and I was back to the races." I NEED to believe that there are exceptions to those realities. That there are people who were fiercely addicted to alcohol, quit for 474 days, made a mistake and drank, and then got back up and it didn't destroy their lives.
Old 08-25-2020, 08:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sohard,

As Gabe said, one drink does not entirely negate all of the positive sober time you had (still have, frankly). Only you can decide to keep drinking or not, and you were able to do the latter for over 400 days. Thoughts are just thoughts - they can't make you do anything.

I know from reading your threads that you fought like hell to get where you are now. You are not the same person you were when you initially quit. Use that to your advantage, use the lessons you've learned, the tools you've stored up, and the support offered here. I fully believe you can make this just a small slip.

Keep posting, let us know how you're doing, and don't drink. <3
Old 08-25-2020, 08:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You have scared yourself, annoyed yourself and reminded yourself exactly what you don't want to do.

Its done, move on and continue your sober journey.

Only you can make it a disaster.
Old 08-25-2020, 08:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dpac414 View Post
Sohard,

As Gabe said, one drink does not entirely negate all of the positive sober time you had (still have, frankly). Only you can decide to keep drinking or not, and you were able to do the latter for over 400 days. Thoughts are just thoughts - they can't make you do anything.

I know from reading your threads that you fought like hell to get where you are now. You are not the same person you were when you initially quit. Use that to your advantage, use the lessons you've learned, the tools you've stored up, and the support offered here. I fully believe you can make this just a small slip.

Keep posting, let us know how you're doing, and don't drink. <3

Thank you so much for this. I really appreciate it.
Old 08-25-2020, 08:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

What Kaily just said!
Old 08-25-2020, 08:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You are the exception, Sohard.

474 days is amazing. You had a blip, but you're sober now, so you're back in business!
Old 08-25-2020, 08:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Resurgence View Post
You are the exception, Sohard.

474 days is amazing. You had a blip, but you're sober now, so you're back in business!
thank you. I really appreciate your belief in me.
Old 08-25-2020, 08:40 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

476 days of sobriety is amazing. I think you can put this one drink behind you and move forward.

Thanks for posting. It's a powerful reminder to be vigilant.