Notices

Things that can be done at 2:30 am while sober

Old 08-22-2020, 04:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Things that can be done at 2:30 am while sober

I was awake at 2:30 am. Gotta love that insomnia. So, what do you do when you are sober but need to kill some time alone at 2:30 am and not wake up the house? Here is my list:
1. Consolidate the shampoo and conditioner bottles to one each. It reminded me of how waitresses used to transfer a near empty ketchup bottle's contents into a new one back in the day. Stack 'em up!
2. Take some cute pet pics that turn out blurry and have no context. I know, seems a bit like a drunk activity but even a stopped clock is right twice a day, just don't drink! At least you will remember the story that went along with the failed snapshots.
3. Find a set of sheets in the dryer and fold them...including that fitted one...or at least smooth out the top after folding it so it looks like you know what you are doing.
4. Online banking does not wake people up. Unless you have a "clacky" keyboard like mine, then it will take some time as you can go slow and not wake people as my fingers want to fly over the keyboard.
5. Ditto on reading SR. Reading the forum doesn't wake people but my clacky responses can.
6. Watch your morning business news show, live. Don't forget to delete the recorded version of that 3 hour show which usually gets queued up to begin just as the live show is ending (like *normal* people LOL)

Insomnia sucks. Drinking is worse. Find things to fill your time, not your glass.
Old 08-22-2020, 04:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Fellow insomniac here.

I sorted out all my paperwork, got all the dishes washed, dried and put away, replied to all the emails I should have replied to sooner, watched a couple of shows I'd missed during the week.

It's amazing how much more I get done at times like that than during the day.
Old 08-22-2020, 05:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Since becoming a non drinker for life, yay!, my sleep patterns have gotten better.

I used to wake up every 2 hours, sometimes with a racing heart. That can't be good.

Now I wake up after about 4 hours, use the restroom, have a sip of water, then lay back down. I don't fall asleep right away unless I am tired from work, exercise, or a previous night of insomnia. When I fall back asleep, usually, and wake up 2 to 4 hours later I feel like I have a hangover from drinking. This feeling goes away in minutes as I get up and start my day.

It is the natural melatonin that my brain produced. OMG it is the best. It seems to be getting stronger and stronger as the time clean counts up. The rest I feel is pure heaven on earth.

For all the folks struggling with staying quit, this is something that took a few years to really stand out to me. Maybe something to shoot for as we make our sober way.

I never want to lose this hard earned gift. I will never drink again.

D122y soap box....you can sing along if you like.

Booze is pure poison. I don't believe the commercial hype. It is all a huge money making scam from cradle to grave. Booze is highly addictive neuro toxin. It causes euphoria while altering the bodies ability to create natural euphoria. The effects generally dissipate in about 20 minutes per unit, leaving the user tired, weaker, chemically altered for weeks to years, and craving more. Not a good thing.

Love and Thanks.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You’re doing OK, Kaptn. I read somewhere (couldn’t find a link just now) that sleep patterns in ex-drinkers can take up to two years to return to normal. I doubt it’s that much, but the reduced amount of sleep you’re having now is far better quality than alcohol-fuelled sleep. You’ll soon sleep better than ever before.

I wear a Fitbit watch which tracks sleep based on heart rate. I doubt it’s that accurate, but it’s just me wearing it so the day to day comparisons are probably meaningful. My level of deep sleep has gone up from around 20 minutes a night to well over an hour since I quit 20 months ago. That doesn’t sound a lot - I wish it was more - but that’s a clear indication my sleep quality has improved.

You’ll get there within a few weeks.
Old 08-22-2020, 11:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'll read something boring. Puts me right back to sleep every time.
Old 08-22-2020, 02:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I used to wake up in the wee hours out of a sound sleep for no reason whatsoever. I'd get on the computer and surf the net or watch episodes of MASH.

Now I usually sleep thru the night. But waking up sober was so much better than when I used to 'come to' when the alcohol wore off and I'd have the shakes really badly.
Old 08-22-2020, 02:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Helpful tips, Kaptn - except for folding the fitted sheet. No to that.