Notices

What Is Better

Old 12-03-2004, 05:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy What Is Better

Thank you all for your wonderful responses. But I must ask. Most of you told me that life was better without drugs, can you please explain how it is better? (I know this sounds stupid, but I wouldnt be here if I didnt start something stupid, right). I mean the reality of this world got me to do drugs because I couldnt handle life anymore, how do I get to that point now if it stunk before?

I would greatly appreciate everyones response on how they feel, because then maybe I can understand myself.

Thanks
Debbie
Old 12-03-2004, 06:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Debbie; I can tell you how being clean has made my life better....
hhmm where to start?

Clean conscience, no more guilt or shame
Clear head at work, I can actually function and remember
If I get an invitation to go out with friends. I can do that without saying no because I am not wanting to stay at home getting stoned or drunk. So better social life
Peace of mind
I am more conscientious of my responsibilities
More money
Not tired all the time, have more energy
Respect from my family and friends
Pride in myself
Knowing that if there is an emergency I can handle it and drive clean any time I get the call
Less stress, no more anxiety attacks or paranoia/fear etc
Much less of a selfish person
Thinking clearly and seeing things for what they truly are bad or good
Much more spiritual, giving me so much peace of mind and strength

I'm sure I will think of more after I send this Debbie, but you get the idea I am sure.

My hopes and prayers are that you will experience this in you life too.
Love Diana
Old 12-03-2004, 06:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Happy Christmas!

Nothing is better than freedom.
If life is hard, then it will only be harder with the weight of the monkey on your back. The monkey needs to be fed, he cares nothing for you and would kill you in exchange for a high. Toss the monkey...
Old 12-03-2004, 07:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

HEY DEBBY,DRUGS AND ALCOHOL WILL KILL IF YOU USED THEM LIKE ME.
I'M FORTUNATE TO BE HERE TODAY.
MY LIFE WAS VERY MISERABLE WHILE USING,IT WAS FUN AT ONE TIME.
LIKE DIANE SAID JUST THE CLEAR CONSCIENCE ALONE IS WORTH IT.
IT TOOK ME TO PLACES I WOULD NEVER GO UNLESS STONED.
DRUGS AND ALCOHOL RAPED MY MIND AND SOUL FOR THIRTY YEARS.
MY DISEASE TELLS ME THAT I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT USING,CUNNING.
CAN'T STOP USING ONCE I START,BAFFELING.
CONTINUE THE CYCLE EVEN THOUGH IT WILL EVENTUALLY KILL ME,POWERFUL.
DON'T USE TODAY AND IT WILL GET BETTER.
.......ted
Old 12-03-2004, 07:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

I have to agree with Bird. For me, the best thing about being clean and sober is freedom. I am not dependent on any substance to have fun or enjoy life. I can go out for an evening and KNOW what is going to happen, know that I will make it home safe and that I won't do anything I will regret. Since alcohol was my main drug of choice, now all I have to worry about is not ever taking a drink. I used to worry about how much I was drinking, where and when I would get my next drink, what consequences I might suffer from my drinking, whether other people could tell how drunk I was getting.

I can also tell you that the world hasn't changed. I'm the one that changed. I now choose to look at the positive things in my life and let go of things over which I have no control. Life IS better. While I was drinking and using, I never imagined that could be true. Now I know.

Best of luck--
Old 12-03-2004, 07:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You will know a new happiness. Do you go to meetings? It is in the meetings that I learned how to live again. Simply putting down the drink and drugs was not enough. I have begun to change on the inside. Many of us believe our fun is over once we quit. I have found that to be totally wrong. We have alot of functions in aa. Dances, partys, bowling league, picnics in the summer. And it is all good clean fun, that I remember. Why not give it a shot, and see how much better it can be. If you don't like being clean, you can always be refunded the misery of getting high once again.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ama

Good Living....

Originally Posted by ted
MY DISEASE TELLS ME THAT I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT USING, CUNNING.
CAN'T STOP USING ONCE I START, BAFFELING.
CONTINUE THE CYCLE EVEN THOUGH IT WILL EVENTUALLY KILL ME, POWERFUL.
DON'T USE TODAY AND IT WILL GET BETTER.
.......ted
Ted is so so right!!!!! Just a day at a time and thus little by little.....Diane is right!!!!....Stay safe, stay with SR (good people & good advice), Stay on the road to recovery.....Life is sometimes only up!!!! Luvs Ama
Old 12-03-2004, 08:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Musician

Hey Guy's ...
Yeah, i was curious about the same thing, just like Debby. Going on almost 2 weeks. Been going to meetings, but honestly it's getting hard to do this. I just feel so bored, lame, i know, but honest. I can't seem to connect with many people. too shy, i guess.... copout?
Old 12-04-2004, 03:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Originally Posted by sherbear5104
Many of us believe our fun is over once we quit. I have found that to be totally wrong.... And it is all good clean fun.
Debby,

What changed for me is the measuring stick I use to gauge my happiness and my life. Sherbear hit something with the words "good, clean fun." For most of my life, those words brought to mind what I considered negative images. Church camp, square dancing, roller skating, "The Waltons", Disney movies, etc. I was always a "Dallas" kind of guy. (And why not? The Ewing family got together for drinks before dinner just like my family.) Life without alcohol and drugs just seemed, well, so square and unsophisticated.

Back in the day, my whole life centered around using so everywhere I went for "entertainment" had to include alcohol or drugs. Of course, at the end I couldn't leave the house without having a couple of drinks but I know I looked very cool and sophisticated standing in line at the liquor store with my Box O Wine trying to control my panic attack long enough to actually pay.

What I believe today is that anything that is not worth doing without drugs (and alcohol is a drug) is just that: not worth doing. So I have surrounded myself with other people who think the same way. And we are happy and we have fun. Good, clean fun. And we don't buy our happiness in three hour pieces from the dope man. The world didn't change, we changed and as a result we came to know a new happiness and a new freedom.

One Love, One Heart, Jah Bless