Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

After sobriety: the laundry, chop wood, carry water, hoist that cross . . .what did you do today?

Notices

After sobriety: the laundry, chop wood, carry water, hoist that cross . . .what did you do today?

Old 08-17-2020, 12:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have chosen to believe that my daily tasks are part of something bigger than myself and an important part of what is going on in the world. It so helps me to read what others are doing each day as a “next right step” in their lives so . . . . .

What did you do today to keep your life moving in whatever tiny way? . . . nothing is too small.

I am off to fold laundry, make a bed and brush my teeth.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Play with my son and getting ready to put him down for a nap.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I love this. I also feel like my simple acts of doing the right things every day somehow add to the order of the world. Our efforts are collective. My life may not be large or exciting or even all that interesting, but I can feel like a part of something bigger.

Today I did my worky work, getting ever closer to working in the office again after being remote for 5 months now. In addition, I went grocery shopping for the week, delivered cucumbers to my best friend because my mom grew too many and in turn, gave me too many, and I did some laundry. About to make a nutritious meal for me and my daughter. I will also pay some bills tonight. Just a normal, adult, sober day.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I woke up around 5 am. I needed to crawl under my truck to check a fuel evap sensor. Good thing I did, because the one Autozone had would not have fit. Autozone is no Walmart when it comes to returns.

Then I hung around my wife working on our relationship. Just hanging out and being with her without getting on each other's nerves. Since this covid killer, we have grown together because I have had a ridiculous amount of time off work.

Then I went to Autozone, got a quick code read, and then I finally passed smog. I had to disconnect the battery blah blah blah. It was a huge pain, but without some help from the smog guy, I could have spent hundreds, versus <$30.

So, basically all this, including coffee and breakfast, before 9 am.

Sometimes I sit around all day, but today was busy. I did a bunch more, but my day in the life is fairly boring lately.

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I didn't do much other than return from a caravan holiday weekend so that was sitting in a car as a passenger and when I got home I gave the house a quick tidy..
Old 08-17-2020, 02:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sometimes boring is good!
Old 08-17-2020, 03:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Samantha

I love this! Today I did dishes, went for s run, did bootcamp, worked (really boring lol), and tended to my blind senior cat, then made dinner
Old 08-17-2020, 03:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaximusD View Post
Sometimes boring is good!
Yes, I agree. Boredom is something that is worth all of us getting used to dealing with rather than drinking ourselves into oblivion.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Took Billie for several walks. I always feel better after we've gone for a walk.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Bekind

I had to move this to the main forum. Daily support is for continuing threads

Today is my home help day but I always do a pre clean first, move vehicles out of the way, dump the rubbish...it's a good workout LOL.

D
Old 08-17-2020, 04:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Angry

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Thanks Bekind

I had to move this to the main forum. Daily support is for continuing threads

Today is my home help day but I always do a pre clean first, move vehicles out of the way, dump the rubbish...it's a good workout LOL.

D
It's okay with me Dee to put in on the Newcomer forum. I would like it to be continuing as I ambitiously want to be chopping wood and carrying water long into the future but will see how it goes.

Thanks all for posting.

I'm all about boring myself. I'm living with my Dad in his senior living facility as we are trying to keep him out of the Memory Center until there is a vaccine. I think the isolation in the facility might do him in unless some nice lady with dementia took a shine to him. He is increasingly incontinent so I do a lot of laundry and floor mopping.

Covid sure makes me feel like we are part of a greater whole . . . the virus seems to see us as one big host; each of us is here to catch and pass the infection on to someone else . . .sigh.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope it will continue too bekind - it's a great idea

all the best to you and your dad.
D
Old 08-17-2020, 07:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Argh . . . that angry face was not at you Dee. It was supposed to be in the part about covid! Argh.

Old 08-17-2020, 07:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't even notice

D
Old 08-17-2020, 07:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great thread idea! I am increasingly boring these days. Today I helped my daughter set up her remote learning space, worked, went on a long walk, did a boot camp, laundry, dishes, and had a meal with my sweetheart. Ot was a pretty good day.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ah, what a great thread! My days seem to be a very long grind of doing a lot of nothing. But being forced to re-assess that by posting here - I just love this site :-)

So far today I have... started the day with a nutritious breakfast and good coffee, quickly followed by a 25 minute walk to the gym, an hour's workout, and the 25 minute walk back. Then spoke on the phone with my mum 11,000 miles away for an hour or so. I've just killed an hour poodling around on the internet, and don't feel the least bit guilty about doing so.

About to do the dishes, and a bit of housework (maybe!) with my favourite radio station on. Then lunch, after which I have a very routine doctor's telephone appointment. This gets a mention because before covid it would have entailed a 90 minute round trip, plus at least a half hour wait, all for a 2 minute conversation that has been the same for years: "how are you; I'm well, everything is all good; great, see you in 6 months time".

I will probably call my son after that for a chat, which is always a joy. Later in the evening I will take in a movie or two on tv...

Old 08-18-2020, 04:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've done more housework this morning. And I've just had lunch which was kippers on toast. Very easy to make (the kippers were boil in the bag!) and very tasty. And several cups of tea (I don't like coffee).
Old 08-18-2020, 06:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I want to challenge the word "boring" in this thread. Can we rephrase that? I thought life would be "boring" without alcohol. Mainly because I was a very social drinker, in that I was usually in a bar surrounded by friends when I drank (I didn't drink much at home). So when I quit, I thought I'd lose all my friends and be sitting at home alone, sad and bored. Most of that has not been true. Yes, I don't see a lot of the same people I used to, because they were drinking buddies and they are still right where they were, sitting on bar stools talking about the same stuff over and over again, no new stories. I didn't "lose" friends, I know where they are, I'm just not with them most of the time. My life is mostly in order, and I have my routines, and it might not look like a lot of fun on the surface. I definitely get out and do things, just not the same sorts of things. It might look "boring." But I like to think of it as a life of freedom. Free from drama, shame, guilt, remorse... free from all of the negative things alcohol brought to my life. I don't feel bored. It's a feeling of peace and serenity. Joy at times. Appreciation of the simple things. To me, that's not boring.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm totally bored and find little or no joy in anything these days.
I get up early, exercise, breakfast, housework.
today I went into my local town for a walk around.
Now I'm home and crippled with loneliness.
It's not because I'm not invited anywhere - its because I never accept the offers.
I don't want to disappoint anyone so I isolate.
Sorry for the negativity x

Old 08-18-2020, 06:46 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I love this thread, too. And I really enjoyed reading every single response, realising that others were "doing laundry, chopping wood and carrying water" and all the other routines, chores, disciplines and actions, that amount to the "next right step".

Because every "next right step" I perform now, simply wasn't doable when drinking, due to physical incapacity, lethargy, aversion, boredom, irresponsibility and all those traits I associate with my drinking-self. So as a sober person, I do feel a certain pride, and camaraderie with those who are doing likewise! What a great bunch of people inhabit SR.

Very best wishes to you and your Dad, Bekind.