Notices

14 Days

Old 08-11-2020, 03:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

14 Days

14 days.
In those days.

my partner had a feeding tube placed due to cancer and is suffering a lot

I was threatened to be fired over something a coworker did... but being new, I took the fall.

my daughter moved to her 1st year of college and out of the house

today I wake up with no electricity... a storm came through and did a lot of damage to our larger metro area.

all things that I would have drank at. wanted to drink at. but didn’t.

i tried 2 A.A. meetings and joined weekenders both weekends. which helped.

dont get me wrong.... I’m stressed....and tbh scared about lwhat life is hanging me right now. but I'm certain this past two weeks would’ve been a sh*tshow if I were drunk through it.

I wouldn’t be able to feed and care for my partner in the way they need

i would’ve lost my job

i wouldn’t have been able to help my daughter move—/a couch up three flights—drink or hungover?

my yard would still have tree branches all over it and I wouldn’t have helped the neighbors with theirs.

this all while feeling hungover, angry, tired, paranoid etc.

it has not been an easy two weeks..., but it’s much easier sober.

thanks SR

B

Old 08-11-2020, 04:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post Beels has humbled me that you have stayed sober through those situations. Makes me realise how lucky I am and how much worse it could be, thank you and congrats on 14 days.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What a great post. I'm 7 months sober and I've been doing a lot of what you're doing in your post....reflecting and comparing the new me to the old me because that way, we won't forget what alcohol did to us! Two weeks is an excellent foundation. You're doing it!
Old 08-11-2020, 04:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

2 Weeks is a long time for a drunk not to drink. You can make it your norm now.

Sorry about your partner and the other horrid issues life decided to deal you.

I am in my usual period of pissed at my wife phase. This happens about every month or so.

I try to except the fact that she and I are simply crazy, but it still sucks. I do love her more than ever and it seems she knows it. Such is love.

I never want to start over in anything again to include being single or being a drunk.

My youngest wants to move away to college next year, but with this covid I thought most kids will do college from home for a while.

Curious about that with your daughter?

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BEELS View Post
14 days.
In those days.

my partner had a feeding tube placed due to cancer and is suffering a lot

I was threatened to be fired over something a coworker did... but being new, I took the fall.

my daughter moved to her 1st year of college and out of the house

today I wake up with no electricity... a storm came through and did a lot of damage to our larger metro area.

all things that I would have drank at. wanted to drink at. but didn’t.

i tried 2 A.A. meetings and joined weekenders both weekends. which helped.

dont get me wrong.... I’m stressed....and tbh scared about lwhat life is hanging me right now. but I'm certain this past two weeks would’ve been a sh*tshow if I were drunk through it.

I wouldn’t be able to feed and care for my partner in the way they need

i would’ve lost my job

i wouldn’t have been able to help my daughter move—/a couch up three flights—drink or hungover?

my yard would still have tree branches all over it and I wouldn’t have helped the neighbors with theirs.

this all while feeling hungover, angry, tired, paranoid etc.

it has not been an easy two weeks..., but it’s much easier sober.

thanks SR

B

that's a good attitude. Being sober makes tough times easier.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good on you BEELS.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
2 Weeks is a long time for a drunk not to drink. You can make it your norm now.

Sorry about your partner and the other horrid issues life decided to deal you.

I am in my usual period of pissed at my wife phase. This happens about every month or so.

I try to except the fact that she and I are simply crazy, but it still sucks. I do love her more than ever and it seems she knows it. Such is love.

I never want to start over in anything again to include being single or being a drunk.

My youngest wants to move away to college next year, but with this covid I thought most kids will do college from home for a while.

Curious about that with your daughter?

Thanks.
regarding my daughter.... she earned a large academic scholarship to a major university. Luckily it’s only a couple of miles away.... but she’s the oldest, so milestone it is.

they are mostly doing online classes, but she wanted the “move away” experience so we agreed on an apartment right on campus rather than a dorm/residence hall.

We figured a single apartment would be most logical.... if they shut down mid-semester, she doesn’t have to move home.

shes very covid-conscious—she won’t let friends over. But she wants her independence and I can’t blame her.

with my spouse being compromised...another really hard situation for me is that my three kids have been living full time with my ex..,, so we keep germs to a minimum. I haven’t hugged my kids since June 1.

we are being creative. I just bought a Nintendo switch so I can play video games virtually with my son. We have outside dinners on the weekends.

Covid sucks. And where I live, no one gets the truth and we have idiots refusing to wear masks. That’s a whole other level of stress and frustration but I don’t spend time there. I just monitor my habits and quarantine as much as possible.

B
Old 08-11-2020, 07:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Very well done, BEELS.

You have chosen a very wise way to face and meet those many challenges. Be proud of yourself as we are proud of you.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks all.

ive tried getting sober many times in the last few years. I think I white-knuckled it 27 days a couple of years ago.

in November I had a binger and went to work wasted. Managed to get thru.... and swear never again. Held to that. But it’s been a slippery slope since.

I turned 50 the same day my spouse had surgery. Drank a few when I got home after leaving the hospital and decided the second half of my life on earth will be sober.

I’ll keep posting. And joining the weekenders. That’s my hardest time.

B
Old 08-11-2020, 08:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

We love having you in Weekender, BEELS.

When I first got sober I spent a lot of time on this site, reading and posting. I joined my "Class of" thread and posted in it until it died. Then I tried some other threads before I settled on Weekenders as sort of Home Base.

That's pretty great about your oldest earning that scholarship. I was a drunk before I even graduated high school.

Stick with us. All the rest of the crap-ton of stuff life throws is easier when there's some place to talk about it.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

All sounds great BEELS! Stay close here!
Old 08-11-2020, 10:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well done on staying sober through all that.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's great having you here, BEELS
Old 08-11-2020, 11:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great post! That's the way I think about it. No matter how stressful and awful things can be, particularly at the moment, they would be a whole lot worse if i was drunk, hungover, depressed, paranoid, feeling poisoned, mortified by drunken antics, unable to eat, unable to function, etc. I also have a partner undergoing cancer treatment so I'm with you on that too! You are correct that caring for a spouse/partner with cancer, while actively drinking/drunk, cannot be done properly. Keep going BEELS, you are doing great!!
Old 08-11-2020, 12:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's hard getting thru all those things, but it would be much worse if you had been drinking.

Good job on staying sober!
Old 08-11-2020, 01:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sound like you've lots on your plate BEELS, stay sober and you'll be able to cope better mentally and physically. Well done on your 14 days.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's a lot of deal with BEELS...all the more inspiring to read you're sober
Congrats on 2 weeks

d
Old 08-11-2020, 10:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congrats on 14!

You in the Midwest?
Old 08-12-2020, 12:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yeah. Where the “inland hurricane” happened. Still no power.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Okay, I'm smack dab in the middle of the US or at least I consider it the middle we only lost power briefly.