Notices

Tempted

Old 08-11-2020, 02:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tempted

I didn't take my Antabuse this morning. I know there's probably still a lot in my system but I'm tempted to drink. Just one or two cans. :/
Old 08-11-2020, 02:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Take that Antabuse, FF. Think of all you stand to lose if you give in to those cravings. Play the tape ahead. It's not worth it.

Good on you for posting! I'm proud of you.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Take solace in the fact that antabuse remains in your system for something like 2 weeks.

You don't want to get ill, you don't want to undo all your hard work you dopn;t want to go back to drinking hand sanitizer and you don't want to mess up college now you're so close to starting again.

If you're still too depressed/anxious/paranoid to consider AA or other meeting based methods right now, please consider seeing someone about that.

Mental health is as important as any other kind of health.
You've worked too hard & too long to lose your nerve now.

Take your antabuse and stay on the right road FF.

D
Old 08-11-2020, 02:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not worth it, especially for 1 or 2 cans. You won't enjoy it.

When I get an urge or craving, I can make it go away by eating something. Eat an apple. It works!
Old 08-11-2020, 04:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Don’t do it, I’m back on day 3 and fuzzy head feeling yuk, was sick yesterday no sleep, it’s not worth feeling like that, don’t pick up good luck
Old 08-11-2020, 04:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Temptation will always be there, whether its alcohol or some other vice. We are evaluated on the decisions we make in life. Make them good ones. As alcoholics, we all know we've probably made some really bad ones along the way. Stay strong FF.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One or two cans would never be enough and I'm sure deep down you know that. You might be better off taking the meds and changing focus. You do not have to entertain these intrusive thoughts. There must be something you can get absorbed in? Is there anything you can think of?

In the meantime, try deep breathing, I find it helps.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

soooooo pop that pill!
Old 08-11-2020, 05:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Did you take your meds yet, FF?
Old 08-11-2020, 05:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I drank with Antabuse in my system and here is what happened...and I waited a week before I had a drink (it was a planned drinking thinking thing for me)...first I replaced Antabuse with Asprin because I had people watching me TAKE it....And Antabuse if you don't look too closely looks like Asprin.....Then I took an asprin for a week while my family thought I was taking antabuse...this was back in 2004....

And I waited a week to the day...I had been taking it a month....
And my husband at the time...drove me down to the Airport (good place to sit and watch planes and talk)....and I asked for just a couple of beers....because my craving was thru the roof.....He obliged...the kids were at school and I didn't want them to see me drinking....

So..on the first can....my face became "really, really flushed"....it was really scary....I didn't think much of it...but the second can....I started feeling really WARM and after that I don't remember that much....I know I became more and more flushed and my husband was SO concerned with the way I was acting (talking about seeing things) he drove right to the fire station to ask them to take me in an ambulance to the hospital...When he went in the Firestation....I locked all the doors and would not get out of the car....they begged me for some time to open the door and I finally did...

I ended up in the hospital...talking about Nazi's invading the place....I KNOW NOTHING about NAZIs have no reason to be seeing those things but somehow I ended up strapped to the gurney...for a period of time and there was a Police Officer guarding my room...I remember talking so much crap to them (over 2 cans of beer) that....they were threatening to arrest me if I didn't stop...and my husband was begging me to "behave" and I just couldn't.

drinking with Antabuse in your system can have really, really bad consequences and after that happened to me...I came home and remember reading about the reactions...to it ....very rarely...but it happens depending on the condition of ones body....people do die while experimenting with alcohol and antabuse.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Take that pill, freedomfries. Dig into your toolbox, too, and start using other toools - play the tape forward; go for a walk; go to the gym; take in an AA meeting; start a gratitude list or add to an existing one, etc.

Drinking is not worth it - it never is.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
I didn't take my Antabuse this morning.
The relapse happens well before the drink.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

For me and lots of us here,1 or 2 cans would lead to a 3 day blackout, waking up in a pool of vomit somewhere left with £200 worse off and with a body closer to destruction. Then coming back here full of remorse knowing you shouldn't have done it and berating yourself with guilt and shame.

Doesn't sound that fun for a meaningless buzz. Why do you want to? Your AV is romanticising a false fantasy.

Don't do it. Ride out the cravings, go for a walk, watch a documentary on end of life alcoholism.

You've got this FF, don't ruin your progress just because a dirty little AV is intent on trying to make you fail.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Stay strong FF. If it could ever be just one or two cans, this site would not exist. That's just now how this thing works on us. Tell your dirty little AV to tell his story walkin.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you have decided to take the Antabuse and to not drink. Your AV is kidding you that one or two drinks will suffice. But, we know that's not true. You've worked so hard to lose it now.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you for all your posts.

I'm ashamed to say I didn't take them on board and drank two cans. Got very sick. Don't know what I was thinking.

I've taken the Antabuse and I'll be joining the August class.
​​​​​​
The one good thing is that 48 days is more than I've managed since April 2017.

So it's a case of two steps forward and one step back. I am overall making progress.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes, overall, you are making huge strides. No doubt about it. Don't let this get you down. Learn from it and move on. Really glad you decided to come back here and post. I hope you can enjoy the rest of your day
Old 08-11-2020, 10:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

FF, I feel like I saw this coming for the past week or 2 in the way you changed your posting. Glad it stayed contained but recognize that this had a long lead up and have some plan ready next time. If I am off base on this then I am sorry, I am just trying to help you as I have been following you since the Class of June when I was in it.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Max FF - you primed this drink a long way off.

I'm not beating you up - just pointing out we need to stay proactive and - essentially - put more energy into not drinking than drinking.

You're obviously a smart guy - I'd start using that intelligence for you, not against you

There's a few very good lessons to learn here and take on board from this, and I hope your recovery will be the better for it FF

D
Old 08-11-2020, 07:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Don't know what I was thinking.”

sure you do; you thought a little drink would be just the thing.

isn’t that exactly where the issue sits: the thinking? isn’t the purpose of the antabuse, ultimately, to overrule those crazy thoughts? to give you time to reconsider, or take actions to counter those thoughts?

i don’t know you, and might be entirely off base. when i returned to drinking, i know i only had one thought. one track.