Notices

Trying to Focus on Positive

Old 08-10-2020, 09:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to Focus on Positive

Today is supposed to be a super happy day for me. I was asked to come in for a meeting with a company I interviewed for them to present me with a job opportunity. I've been so excited about this since I heard about it Friday because it's been so hard to find a job and it's a job that is not in the bar industry which I've been trying to leave. I just got an email though that my landlords have decided to put the house I live in up for sale. I absolutely love my apartment. I always said if this ever happened I'd look to relocate back to where I am from as it's cheaper to live there. Now, on the day of my hopeful new job in the expensive city, my home may be sold and I may have to move... just sucks, I feel crushed. My meeting is in a couple hours and I'm trying to just stay focused on that happiness but this news really sucks and ruined my day
Old 08-10-2020, 10:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Everything happens for a reason. Trust that you have what it takes to work this out, because you do! If you can work though all of this sober, you'll be so much stronger for it. I would look at this situation as a "test of my resolve". Also, with sobriety you'll have the clarity you need to make the right decisions.

Now go kill it at the meeting!

Old 08-10-2020, 10:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
nez

What the hell do I know anyway?

One timeI got a job as an executive chef for a hotel. I totally reworked all the menus for all the venues. Trained the staff in the production of those menus. Did TV spots for the hotel. Won a professional cooking competition for the hotel. Newspaper food critic who said he would never ever review the hotel again, but who knew of me from previous establishments he had reviewed, was convinced to come in and wound up giving us a great review. I was let go at six months in a supposed economic move in which they decided to eliminate my position. Basically I had been used and abused. They had no intentions of retaining me once I had accomplished what they wanted.

I thought that losing my job was the absolute worst thing that could ever happen, but...what the hell do I know anyway?...a couple of months later I was working in the Caribbean, which had been a long time dream of mine. When I was a drunk, I spent a lot of time on bar stools dreaming of moving to the Caribbean, but I never got off of the bar stool to actually do it. In recovery and after the worst possible news that sucked and ruined my day, I found myself in paradise! What the hell do I know anyway?

In recovery, I have learned it is alright to make plans...as long as I don't plan outcomes. I try to stay out of my way as much as possible.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that Copperfield. Life is so cruel sometimes. Not sure what to say but i'm sending you positive vibes my friend. You will find somewhere new and will love that place too
Old 08-10-2020, 11:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by copperfield View Post
My meeting is in a couple hours and I'm trying to just stay focused on that happiness but this news really sucks and ruined my day
Why are you allowing it to ruin your day? Have you asked yourself that question?
Why does one situation have to affect the other? Your job interview is still a happy thing for you. Allow it to stay that way.
Why can't you accept the job offer, if it comes, and then find a new rental near your new job?

It seems to me like you're creating your ruined day by a rigidity that you're forcing on yourself and in your life.
Attitude is everything.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. And Yes Lumen - that is said right! I'm not gonna let it ruin my day. I can't do anything about it right now. But I can go and listen to a job offer. That is huge. Thank you for your perspective.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I completely agree that everything happens for a reason. Things are changing for the better and being forced to move, when you look back, will also be for the better. I had to move out of a house I really liked and it ended up being the start of my new life. you never know.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I wouldn't care about the apartment myself as long as I had the job. Job is paramount. You could sleep in a tent if need be!
Old 08-10-2020, 01:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

In 2000 my place was sold. I found a new place and learned to love that.
In 2007 my place was sold. I found a new place and learned to love that.
In 2014 my place was sold. I found a new place and learned to love that.

you’ll find another place you love

good luck on the interview Copperfield!

Old 08-10-2020, 01:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I also believe everything happens for a reason. Hang in there and good luck with the new job prospect.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone who brought me back to reality, off my ruined day horse, and made me appreciate what is actually real today which is the job offer I just accepted!!! Yes it is the most important piece that I needed in my life. The apartment will be dealt with when the next step needs to be dealt with, for now I have a home, an amazing cat, and A NEW JOB!
Old 08-10-2020, 02:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

^
Congratulations on the new job copperfield! Allow yourself some time to feel good about your new job. Obviously your housing situation will need to be addressed down the line but try not to let it detract from your good news.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeeeeesssss!!! That’s wonderful news, so happy for you!
Old 08-10-2020, 03:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

How exciting! Congratulations!
Old 08-10-2020, 06:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you can leave the bar tending behind now Copperfield

D
Old 08-10-2020, 07:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on the new job! Everything happens for a reason, we don't always know the reason tho. Try to focus on what you're grateful for. The rest will work itself out.