Notices

Cafe put alcohol soaked peppers in my salsa...

Old 08-10-2020, 05:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cafe put alcohol soaked peppers in my salsa...

Day 19 and had my first major challenge today...

I went to a charity cafe who employ staff with learning disabilities. There was a homemade side dish salsa that I ate one mouthful of. I luckily had to leave the rest as it was too spicy...

...well it turns out the chef had soaked the chilli peppers in whisky 🤬 and didn't write this on his allergen notes or on the menu. Luckily I only had a teaspoon of the stuff. I couldn't taste alcohol or whisky and I don't feel inebriated in the slightest. Of course my AV jumped into action and said "That's it, you might have just put alcohol in your body, you may as well give up and buy a bottle of rum on the way back"

I haven't though, im just sitting at home now fuming. Gah, what a horrible little scene that was. I have since found out that he has rinsed them in water extensively beforehand, which is a slight reprieve.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I wouldn't make too much of that Owen although I understand that being somewhat triggering. Sounds like you handled it really well. It is a great metaphor for all of us living in a world awash in alcohol, although seeing it everywhere is certainly different than having it slipped into your salsa. Yeah, I imagine your dirty little AV jumped right into action on that one, but you didn't listen to the little twerp. Well done.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wouldn’t worry at all, although it’s not really acceptable that anyone adds alcohol to any food without saying.

It’s interesting, though. Everyone’s different. I’d be messed up by a glass of wine now as it could reset all my urges to day one levels (20 months ago), but I’m fine with the occasional dessert with alcohol such as tiramisu or a dish cooked with wine. I know the alcohol’s in there, but I’m not drinking it neat from a glass. Each to their own. It’s not a good example to set, so I wouldn’t recommend it.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, you've put my mind at rest. I was probably overreacting.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't get too worried about stuff like that, heck I eat a lot of ripe fruit which smells of alcohol and especially a ripe banana actually does have some alcohol. I think all fruits do. So those tomatoes in the salsa likely had some too. I did have a momentary WTF moment with hand sanitizer, though. That smell - I may as well have been dunking my hands in Margaritas. Bread smells like beer. That was a problem in early sobriety.

I lived.

I think the bigger worry with your story would be the emotional resentment toward the chef. It really wasn't enough alcohol to harm (even) an alcoholic. Should he have *maybe* printed it on the menu? Probably, but alcohol in food is one of those things I really don't get worked up over, and he wasn't doing it to be malicious. I was handed a smoothie one time that turned out to be alcohol...I had a couple sips before I figured it out and then just put it on the table and left it untouched. Making a big emotional deal over it would have caused me more trouble than the actual sips.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

oh. We cross posted. Glad you feel good now.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thanks Bimini

I didn't cause a scene or anything. I called him afterwards to ask him how he had prepared it. He was ok, just concerned. I guess I had one of those early sobriety emotional mood swings.

Apologies for coming across like a lunatic.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Owen, it's totally all good I think and the fact that you're so concerned just shows how truly dedicated your heart and soul are to your sobriety. That's awesome. Congrats on Day 19!!!
Old 08-10-2020, 06:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks mate
Old 08-10-2020, 07:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Agree with Copperfield, your dedication is undeniable. For me, hand sanitizer has been the biggest trigger so far. Congrats on 19 days...that's a long stretch!
Old 08-10-2020, 10:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Owen, you are not a lunatic for sure. i would have been a bit worried as well so no problem. Don't discount your feelings.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

You’re not a lunatic. I take what I put into my body very seriously these days.
Even then mistakes happen. You learn a little and move on. Hope the chef learned something too.

A mistake like this without intent is not a relapse, just a mistake

D
Old 08-10-2020, 01:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. I was wondering about that.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm no chef, but I'm pretty sure that the alcohol was cooked off during the cooking process. Chefs cool with wine/alcohol all the time. The alcohol burns off and the flavor is left behind.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

That’s not correct.

Old 08-10-2020, 01:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LumenandNyx View Post
I'm no chef, but I'm pretty sure that the alcohol was cooked off during the cooking process. Chefs cool with wine/alcohol all the time. The alcohol burns off and the flavor is left behind.
Ironically, Owen IS a chef.

Salsa does not get cooked.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes, it is raw which is why I freaked out and reacted badly.

(plus Dee is correct, not all alcohol gets cooked off during the cooking process for other dishes if anyone needs that info for future reference)

Thanks for your support guys, i'm much better now.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Always about intention. If one recoils like from a hot flame once they realise then there’s no problem in my experience. Best advice I can give is to always smell everything before it’s consumed as that has served me well over the past decade if you’re unsure.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was very worried about this early on in recovery. Is it an over-reaction? I don't think so. It's taking precaution in the face of an unknown that has little evidence to support either side of the argument. Better safe than sorry. Today, I don't worry about it, but if I know a culinary preparation includes alcohol, even boiled off alcohol, I simply avoid it. I don't do this out of fear exactly. It's more like I ask myself, "Why bother?" There are plenty of good things to eat that aren't made with alcohol. It's not like I need to eat that particular preparation.