Notices

The 'Moving Somewhere New' Cure??

Old 08-08-2020, 07:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The 'Moving Somewhere New' Cure??

I know many an alcoholic has tried moving to a new city or country in the hope a new location will help with their sobriety. For some, it helped. Others, made no difference. I have increasingly been considering a move. I can't walk around the city without passing some sort of landmark that automatically brings back unpleasant memories For example, today I walked by the hospital where I was once locked up in the psych ward for 3 days against my will. Now, I am reliving the moment all over again after putting it behind me a few years ago.

I may have to move in order to truly get a fresh start. Far too many places, people, and things that compromise my sobriety and general wellbeing around here. I have had many traumatic incidents and I get triggered by the environment sometimes.

Has anyone found a move to be essential for a fresh start?? I have been considering a new country. I have dual-citizenship so thinking about the UK. (When the pandemic ends of course, 1-2 years time)
Old 08-08-2020, 08:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think a move is essential for a new start. I got sober in the same house and neighbourhood I got drunk in.

If your surroundings are getting you down because of past associations, I can understand the desire to move but your mental health is probably not going to change much if you just move into a new building and do the same old things?

D
Old 08-08-2020, 08:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I think our 'inner landscape' matters as much as our outer landscape. And no matter where you go, there you are. I got sober in my den, where I had previously gotten drunk. But now I have a different inner landscape and don't think and feel as I used to do. My whole perspective has changed, but my geographic location is the same.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wherever we move we take ourselves with us and the problem is us not other people places or things.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've never found a move essential, but I'm one who seriously appreciates newness.

I think that as long as you aren't running from obligations and/or responsibilities - there's no harm in moving somewhere new for a fresh start. I've done it numerous times whether I'd been drinking or not and each time I found the experience valuable. I'm actually thinking of moving again in another year or so simply because there's so much I still haven't seen. I'm still young enough to move about. In another 20 years or so I'm sure I'll feel like settling down, but today - I'm ready to hit the road.

I know a lot of folks are prone to the familiar and calling a place home, but to me - I can turn any place into my home. A few personal touches here and there, my clothes, some plants, my books, kittens and my laptop - and I'm good!

Old 08-08-2020, 11:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wherever you go, you go. Moving doesn’t work unless the individual undergoes the profound psychic change required to recover in my experience.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I think our 'inner landscape' matters as much as our outer landscape. And no matter where you go, there you are. I got sober in my den, where I had previously gotten drunk. But now I have a different inner landscape and don't think and feel as I used to do. My whole perspective has changed, but my geographic location is the same.
What least said.

I think fresh starts are a good thing, but as a part of life rather than a recovery strategy. I have a move coming up in 2-4 years, but the only reason I can contemplate that is because I am firmly sober. Attempting to reason my way through a move while drunk would have been a disaster.

I had to embrace and solve my biggest problem before I could embrace the other changes life may bring.
-bora

Old 08-09-2020, 04:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

I chose to do it the other way around. I just moved to a new town, and wanted to make this new start a great time to stop drinking.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would use those places that remind me of horrible times as motivation to never get back to that condition again. A constant visual reminder of progress.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I’m contemplating a move. Although I have been for years. It’s only now I’m sober (19 months) that I check myself so I’m doing it for the right reasons.

im in the same flat that I drank in and got sober in. And the city I live in is great. I’m just bored of it, I’ve got no ties and i feel it’s time for a new chapter.

Being sober allows me to make sure I’m moving towards something and not just running away from things.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Like most I still live in the place that I did all of my most harmful drinking. Like the saying goes - wherever you go, there you are.

There are times I end up in an area, backstreet, bodega, park, that reminds me specifically of a time I was still destroying my life and my self. Not always the best feeling, even though I am clear. But it's a reminder and reminders don't hurt.

Get sober and save your life WL. Rooting for you as usual.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't think you can ever allow the idea of i can't get sober where I'm at. Unless the alternative is going to some out of state rehab tomorrow or something extreme.

I don't think you want to give away 1 or 2 more years of life? I'm 45 years old and I'm going to be an old man soon so just 1 year means so much to me.

I still live near where I got arrested. Many towns here have one stop shopping for recovery. You go in handcuffs downstairs, meetings upstairs, meet with sponsor across the hall, then down the hall from there is court. I've gotten sobriety chips in the same building that I got dwi and felony drug charges in. Full circle!

Funny thing even though I was actively using i was on a 2 week crash diet with no alcohol when I found this town. I use to work nearby then I got fired.I've been thinking of moving to get closer to my current job. The better one I found after getting sober well over a year . The commute is insanely expensive on gas and destroying the value of my car. The thing is I actually like the commute. Like the cold, dark, icy winter streets I run on. Like running in the heat and humidity of summer, I've learned to love it here.

I live not much more then a mile from where i got arrested. I remember where the cop was sitting. The light he got behind me. The surprise and shock when he turned his lights on knowing I'm done. It use to make me sick to drive by there. Now I wonder what would have happened if I didn't get arrested. If I continued to drink.

God is everywhere. I had the idea that I can get sober anywhere. Once i completely surrendered it didn't matter where i was. I think the best course would be stay sober a year or two then weigh the pros and cons of moving.

I've heard it said that some states, especially like Florida or California should have signs at the border for alcoholics. This state doesn't work either!

Old 08-10-2020, 09:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This would work the opposite for me. If I were to move I would probably want to go out and drink. I am in the settled down stage though.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

my first move was across the country. That did not go well, I drank more than before. I was kicked out of bars, broken toilets, broken face, etc... It was bad.

When I really wanted sobriety I moved 45 mins away from all my "friends" and all the places I went to often. I still work very close to where I used to live however I moved to a town where no one would know me, or my past and I was able to recreate who I am, and be the person I wanted to be! I like it however now the drive is taking away family time so we are looking to move a little closer to my work, just not in a town I have ever drunk in.