Notices

So Happy that You Want to Drink to Celebrate?!?

Old 08-07-2020, 05:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So Happy that You Want to Drink to Celebrate?!?

Hello everyone,
Today was a weird day for me. It's day 14 which is very good for me. In preparation for my music gig tomorrow I went out and got my own NA drinks to bring. I know it's going to be tough and I didn't want to wake up tomorrow morning stressed out that I didn't have that part already sorted. I had ordered a 'one day at a time' token on amazon which was supposed to arrive Aug. 18. As I left my house to go get the drinks I found the package at my door. I had even checked online this morning and it was still many steps away from arrival and still had the Aug 18 arrival date. So that was an extremely pleasant surprise to know I will have it with me tomorrow in strength and I returned home all ready with my NA drinks for tomorrow.
I sat down to eat dinner and I get an email I had applied for a job and had two interviews for it that went extremely well. They had said they'd likely get back to me by July 31 (last Friday - which was also two weeks since the last interview). Once last weekend happened and early into this week with no word I had sadly wrote off the job. Then at 6:17pm I receive an email from them asking me to come in on Monday so that they can present the job opportunity to me. I was shocked! This also made me want to drink like I haven't wanted to for the last 14 days. The urge was crazy and is still nawing at me. I went for a run and took a shower to calm myself down. I did not go get booze. Now I am writing this to just communicate how crazy this is. Things are actually going right and it's like I want to self sabotage myself, like I don't deserve to be this happy. I almost burst into tears on my run. I've been super happy these last two weeks and accomplished so much. It's been great. Anyway, thank you to SR for being here and giving me a spot to vent. I intend to have a good night sleep and take on tomorrow, tomorrow. For tonight, I do not drink.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're thinking it through, Copperfield

Being sober, things going right, and feeling so happy that you need a drink is one of the best examples of cognitive dissonance there is.

Good luck with your gig. You know that there will probably be times then when you want to drink, nervous happy or whatever, or when others offer you a drink or expect you to drink. Be prepared for all those things.

I'd often wish I hadn;t had that last drink but the truth is its not the last drink that messes things up, it's the first.

This is a pretty good link to read and think about.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...val-guide.html (Social Occasion Survival Guide)
Old 08-07-2020, 06:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was just as inclined to drink when I was happy as when I was sad. I just wasn't good at dealing with any strong emotion. Congratulations on getting the job and good luck with your music gig.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for your comments Dee and especially that link. I will definitely work it tomorrow and keep it close to me in times of worry.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So true Anna, I've totally wanted to drink when super happy and when super sad. I am happy I did not drink today!
Old 08-07-2020, 06:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you didn't give in and drink. I'd suggest that you start practicing gratitude every day. Being grateful makes me happier and more content. Instead of lamenting over what I don't have, I am just very thankful for what I do have.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I drank for everything, and then one day I stopped. Those knee-jerk reactions were still there, but I didn't drink. They're just associations with past events and emotions. Well done for talking yourself through that.

Congratulations on the job offer! I hope it is everything you want. The gig will be awesome, you're ready and you won't drink because you don't drink anymore and you have a new life. Plus, you will want to be sharp on Monday. Really happy for you.

Old 08-08-2020, 12:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had a very strict criterion to meet for me to drink my barley pops, if the day ended in “y” I was golden or so I convinced myself.

Congrats on the future job!
Old 08-08-2020, 03:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done Copperfield Great example of self control and inner strength to resist that huge craving. Congrats on the job! Enjoy the gig, good idea to bring your own NA drinks.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Drinking because I had a good day was just as necessary as drinking because I had a bad day. Drinking as a response to an emotion is alcoholism. It's really just giving into the alcoholic craving. Your AV doesn't care if you are happy or sad. It just wants alcohol, and if you end up falling down and puking, it doesn't care about that either. It just wants alcohol.
Old 08-08-2020, 04:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Success in your career and "drinking" often go hand in hand, for alcoholics, they need to stay in two very different lanes in my opinion. The alcoholism bleeds into the "success" and the success fails. Congrats.