Notices

Checking in - warning AA propaganda ;)

Old 08-07-2020, 09:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in - warning AA propaganda ;)

Hi everyone. Hope you're all living your best lives. I just wanted to check in. I'm on day 15 or 16, can't remember. I'm sitting at my table at home (where I do my working from home) and one of my 16 week old kittens is curled up in my lap sleeping. She is so carefree and she trusts me absolutely. I had to take her to the vet for shots yesterday and she rode beside me in the car like we were going on an adventure. It was so neat. I'm sitting here feeling overwhelmed by gratitude. All the same crap that was bad in my life weeks ago is still there, but my focus is not on those things. And I've really been practicing faith and letting go of things out of my control. My oldest daughter said something so sweet to me the other day. I told her how proud I was of her. Then she said she's proud of me too. I cut her off because I don't like compliments and I don't feel worthy, but I said I was surprised that she's proud of me, I had just snapped at her earlier in the day. She told me that that way I snap at her is so much better than how her mom does. She said I always start with, "honey, you know I love you, and I'm not mad at you, but I want to talk to you about something." And then I get onto my soapbox. She said I always check in later to discuss and/or apologize if I raise my voice. And realize, her mom is a normie, a good person, a great mom. But this made me feel really good. I know that part of the reason I'm a good father is because of my involvement in AA. AA to me, is as much about becoming a better person as it is is about not drinking. It has taught me to be accountable, to be kind, to hand over problems that are bigger than me. The lessons are countless.

If I weren't an alcoholic, I would never have joined AA. If I had not joined AA, I'm not sure how much effort I would be putting into myself these days to become a better man.

I recently upgraded my garage workshop so I don't have that idle free time on the weekends. I'm now building custom furniture (that I absolutely don't need and have no place to put, lol) which is something I really enjoy. I pray to God every night. I thank him for keeping me sober and pray that I can continue to do what is intended for me instead of what I would choose to do left to my own devices.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that's what it's all about - being the best person we can be.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't think your post is AA propaganda, BABM. Because it's just a post about following your conscience and doing the next right thing, which are universal values.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like a good day!
Old 08-07-2020, 10:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done BABM. The difference between you sober and when you were drinking is night and day. I hear you about problems not going away but already I can see you tackling life much more evenly. Keep at it, I remind myself very regularly about where alcohol took me and will do again if I have the first drink
Old 08-07-2020, 10:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you're doing well. Sobriety rocks!
Old 08-07-2020, 05:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're sounding great

D
Old 08-07-2020, 07:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This post is really polar opposite from the posts you were writing 3 weeks ago..Thank God! I really had you as a "goner" and I could not bear to even comment on the posts back then....because I honestly didn't see the hope....

I am very happy for you.
AA also has been a big part of my life in the past....it was amazing how when I left a meeting....I felt "different", better and proud because I was finally doing something to help myself.

I think for me also it added that little bit of "separation" from society....I was separated with alcohol....i was different than anyone "I knew"....but when I became sober still needed to be "different" I still didn't want the responsibilties that other adults had..its like a hangup of mine that kept me drunk...so going to AA...was "different" and it also got me away from my normal environment...and then added bonuses were I learned how to be a better/calmer/happier person. And I had friends and support there and people who knew what I was going thru.

I think I liked going too because it pissed my Mother off....she would say....You spend just as much time at those meetings as you did drinking what is the point you are still not living your life.....???
Wrong....I had a life because of AA....Just like your are saying.....
I was free.....from alcohol....glad to hear you are "free" and doing well.

ps...I'm 21 days today and now instead of beer cans and empty nip bottles around my bed and my house...there are all kinds of food wrappings and empty bottles of water....so much better to wake up to.
Old 08-08-2020, 02:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There is a wonderful sober life as a recovered alcoholic (in the AA definition) freely available and AA facilitates that for many, many alcoholics. Grateful to be sober 🙏
Old 08-08-2020, 03:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

BABM, I do believe that many of us actually get in better touch with ourselves in recovery. We are forced too. People who don't deal with addiction may not ever need to put in the work to be that much better. Glad to see you posting and doing so well!
Old 08-08-2020, 03:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow. I am so glad I checked in quickly and got to read your post!! congratulations on your sober time and reading this just lit me up. I know exactly how you are feeling because I feel it too. I am in AA and am 2 years and 3 months sober and I went into AA to stop drinking and what I got, and continue to get, is so much more. As a result of working these steps I have had a spiritual awakening with lots of spiritual experiences along the way which I have faith will continue if I keep following this path and I am not the same person I was when I first walked through AA's doors and that is a direct result from working the 12 steps.

It is such a beautiful programme and a wonderful design for living and I can honestly say that the obsession to drink has been completely removed which is an absolute miracle for an alcoholic like me.

Keep going. I promise you it gets better and better. The more you work it the more you will benefit.

❤🙏❤🙏
Old 08-09-2020, 05:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good stuff. One doesn't have to be an "AAer" to appreciate all that. Keep it up and do the work. A better life is waiting.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You sound like you're in an awesome place mate. I read your posts when I first joined and I felt really bad for you man. You seem so much more content now.

More power to you