Notices

Supplements that have helped me

Old 08-07-2020, 07:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Supplements that have helped me

for two weeks now i have been taking Milk Thistle and St Johns wort...These are over the counter supplements.

i am not sure if its a placebo, but they have helped to reduce alcohol cravings. The SJW helps manage mood, and the MT apparently helps to clean the liver...i did some research and read that these both help to reduce cravings.

Since 2 weeks i have been taking these, i have not had the craving to get absolutely drunk wasted. I have had some hard days at work (construction) and i dont have that craving like i usually do ( the 5pm drink a 6 pack in the car before walking into the house - everyday) craving

I guess this may help for some.

Old 08-07-2020, 07:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Anyone in early days of recovery should take vitamin B1
Old 08-07-2020, 07:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's interesting to hear, thank you. I am a big fan of herbal remedies though I think the SJW can't be taken with anti-depressants. Amazing that it's having such a positive impact on your cravings!
Old 08-07-2020, 08:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think that there is a specific vitamin that should be taken by everyone in recovery and it sounds like medical advice. We all react differently so it's best to just say what works for you.

Please remember supplements are not necessarily safe to use and could have side effects, and may also conflict with other medications you're taking.

It's always a good idea to check with your doctor before taking any kind of supplement or vitamin.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
EndGame

Like SSRI antidepressants (Celexa, Lexapro, Prozac, Zoloft, and more), St. John's Wort provides the brain with increased levels of serotonin. If you're taking an SSRI and also take St. John's Wort you place yourself at higher risk for serotonin syndrome.

Talk to your doctor before taking supplements. They went to medical school so the rest of us don't have to.

https://www.webmd.com/depression/gui...s-treatments#1

Old 08-08-2020, 06:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

No i dont take any pills at all, no Anti depressants, no pain killers or any sort of medication, its just SJW.

I actually asked my doctor about Anti depressants and he told me "since your 29 i should go for a run and meet some friends" to get out of my depression...which is pretty true actually. But i didn't want to go back to him and DEMAND pills or look for a excuse to get them.

Call me abit ignorant, but the way i have abused my body i think a few over the counter mood lifters wont hurt (me personally)
just saying it feels good to not feel/think like the world is ending every day since ive been taking these.

and to my doctors advice, iam actually going to a social sporting event this afternoon.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

the way i have abused my body i think a few over the counter mood lifters wont hurt (me personally)
I never thought there was anything wrong with supplements vitamins etc either, but as Annas already said they can impact on other meds, they can have an effect on existing health conditions - heck you even overdose on vitamins.

Thats why the rules there.

No recommendations for others, experience only.

I'm sure looking back now, you can see how your first post really rides the razor blade between experience and recommendation.

I gave up on the self medicating thing when I got sober I run everything past my Dr, or at least a medical professional of some kind, these days.

D
Old 08-08-2020, 07:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Samantha

I dont take any supplements but water with lemon and cayenne helps me immensely by detoxing and getting rid of bloat! I noticed a big difference in my belly especially.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
EndGame

I have nothing critical to say about St. John's Wort or any other supplement.

It seems to do the trick for a lot of people.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was prescribed by my doctor Thiamine and vitamin B1, to take both while in active alcoholism, and advised to continue early on into recovery.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Water, water, water stay hydrated its one if the best things you can do.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I took nothing clearly helpful during active alcoholism or early sobriety other than vitamins, but had good results for anxiety with Ashwagandha and CBD a few years sober. Especially CBD, which has also been shown to be helpful for cravings for various drugs in some people. It makes me generally more stable and helps with low motivation bouts as well, very glad that I gave it a try this year as it pretty much fixed the minor mental issues I've still had and don't need any other psych treatment or attention now. But please do your research on these if you are interested and I would definitely discuss with a doctor, especially if you have health issues or are on medications.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I do have a medical background and worked in the medical industry for over 25 years.....and because I know that every drug/supplement affects everyone differently...I will say this:

For myself, I have found Supplements to be "under rated" and have taken some over the past couple years that have really helped me with symptoms such as...anxiety, depression, healing the damage I have done to my body.

We all know that "supplements" are not scrutinized by the FDA, that in itself is a "safety" concern.

But, do we all know that "Natures Made" Supplements contain the seal of the USP approval for dietary Supplements?

I personally only will buy a brand of supplement that has a USP stamp on it...

USP approval means you can be assured of purity, potency, stability and disintegration (dissolving). USP stamp ensures that the product contains the ingredients listed on the label and that it has been made according to FDA Good Manufacturing Practices.

Not all Supplements are made according to FDA Good Manufacturing practices and I have seen on the FDA website (they do spot checks on companies producing supplements/vitamins and I have seen where the FDA has issued warnings to some companies for false advertising...example: they can't prove unless they have clinical trials that something helps anxiety so they shouldn't be labeling it as such)...

I am assured that Supplements and vitamins with USP stamp at least shows an effort to audit and measure the safety of a product and for them to put their seal of approval on a product is very reassuring to me.

I also personally never take a drug or supplement for a very long time....in my opinion they are there to get me thru times of when I am "short" on something (after reviewing my annual bloodwork)....Currently taking Iron supplements suggested by my Dr. because my bloodwork showed anemia a couple weeks ago...but this is the last week I will take it.....

Hope this helps anyone taking supplements to make sure you are taking "safe" ones.