Notices

Smart recovery

Old 08-07-2020, 03:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smart recovery

Hi,
I see that a lot of people on her talk about Smart recovery. Is that a free service?
Old 08-07-2020, 03:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes it's free.

I think they pass a basket around at F2F meetings like in AA though. I've never been to one
​​
Old 08-07-2020, 03:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

https://www.smartrecovery.org/about-...ked-questions/

SMART Recovery is a nationwide, nonprofit organization which offers free support groups to individuals who desire to gain independence from any type of addictive behavior. SMART Recovery also offers a free Internet Message Board discussion group, and sells publications related to recovery from addictive behavior.
I have no personal experience of it but I have heard good things about it

D
Old 08-07-2020, 05:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Never went to one of them meetings but would defiantly would like to at some time. I've heard good things about it and yes it's free.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It’s free. They have tons of online meetings everyday if you can’t find one local to you. If you want to order the workbook, that costs something like $20. I adore SMART.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
waking down

If you check their website you'll see some meetings are open and some are closed. Open meetings are free. Some of the closed meetings take place in rehab centers or agencies that might bill for service. Generally, open meetings are run by trained facilitators that may or may not be professionals. I attended a group that was free and run by a licensed counselor. Sweet deal. Closed meetings are often run by professional counselors and may have a cost. For those who have been in therapy or studied therapy, SMART combines elements of motivational interviewing, CBT, DBT, and reality therapy. It focuses on motivation, dealing with cravings, dealing with thought/emotions/behaviors, and living a balanced lifestyle. They focus on personal responsibility. Some who adhere strictly to 12 Step philosophy might disagree with some of what SMART teaches, but I know people who have attended both. They kind of grew out of Rational Recovery, but not as dogmatic, for lack of a better word. Lots to learn on their website.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I tried several meetings when I lived in LA. It is younger than AA so it needs to mature. The meetings were a little disorganized and it is hard to find meetings because there aren’t many. It is not 12 step based which is what attracted me to them, but I didn’t find them that effective.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
waking down

I think a lot depends on the facilitator.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My friend and I were in AA together and she couldn't just brush off the "God" stuff like I could.
So, she left and joined "Smart"...I remember her telling me ...she loved the meetings because "God" wasn't mentioned every meeting...like it is in AA.

AA says it is not a religious program - she would say but they talk an awful lot about GOD.....I just laugh....and say Whatever works for ya...that is the only thing that matters!