My alcoholic has died. She was only 28

Old 08-05-2020, 02:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My alcoholic has died. She was only 28

Heavy in the grieving process at the moment. My ex GF who I've known for 3 years died suddenly from a heart arrhythmia two weeks ago, brought on by alcoholism and bulimia. We broke up 8 months ago due to her refusal to do anything about her drinking problem but we stayed in touch. Today would have been her 29th birthday.

I took her to the ER three times last year, the 3rd time she was admitted for a week with alcoholic hepatitis. She refused any sort of help. It was not the wake up call it should have been. When we broke up I told her she should go home to her family, but instead she moved in with an alcoholic abusive ex BF and drank herself into oblivion. I told her when she left that she was headed for disaster, but she didn't listen to me or her family.

Last month she finally moved to her family and seemed to maybe have turned a corner. But it was just too late. Her mom told me after I learned of her death that she was so thin and frail and that her body was just worn out.

I'm almost 40 years old, this is the only woman I have ever wanted to start a family with. I was really rooting for her to live a very long and happy life, even if it couldn't be with me. Instead, she's dead and buried. At 28. Damn it

Old 08-05-2020, 02:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Z71Ross - I'm so sorry for the pain you are feeling over this tragic turn of events. You did all that you could possibly do to lead her to help. You stayed in touch and continued to be there for her, even after your relationship was doomed by her behavior. Not many would have been willing to do that. You sound like a compassionate and empathetic person. I'll pray for you & her family to be comforted.

Old 08-05-2020, 02:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ah Z, I am so very sorry. Even when you can see it coming, it is still a horrific shock.

Please do everything you can to take care of yourself. This is a hug blow that will take awhile to process.

May all the angels of the world dive bomb you and her family.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am so sorry for your loss.

D
Old 08-05-2020, 03:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There is only so much you can do to help someone.
Sorry for you loss.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'me very sorry for your loss.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry, Z71Ross.

Thank you for sharing her story. It may help someone else - maybe some other young person - into seeing a different way.

May your GF finally find the peace she couldn't find here.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am sorry for your loss.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I’m so sorry for your loss. It is hard to stand by and watch people destroy themselves. I have a couple of patients currently that are young and with serious alcohol related medical issues that likely won’t be around for much longer. They say they want to quit but they just keep drinking. For non addicts it is hard to understand that serious medical problems (or really any problems, financial medical etc) still aren’t enough to get sober. Rock bottom is different for everyone unfortunately. I can tell you from a provider stand point it is also very hard because you can’t do anything to help them unless they are willing to help themselves. It is very sad to see anyone lose their battle with addiction but at such a young age I think it is even harder I think.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello Ross, I'm just so sorry to hear about your loss! Please know you are among people who understand here. Take very good care of yourself!
Old 08-06-2020, 03:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Stronger every day!

I'm so, so sorry. I do hope she has found the peace that eluded her here and that you too will begin to heal and find peace. It's so hard to watch a loved one struggle with addiction.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So sad. Sorry for your loss.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry. I lost my estranged AH to complications of alcohol on May 1. It's heartbreaking to care and be so helpless watching the slow deterioration of their body. I bet he weighed less than 110 when he passed at 54. Now that they have found peace, I'm hoping for ours.