Notices

Lacking Motivation

Old 07-31-2020, 06:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lacking Motivation

im 37 days sober and I'm completely lacking Motivation this last week. Can't even bring myself to brush my teeth or have a shower. I'm just under the duvets vaping

What's your advice for getting out of a funk?

At least I'm not tempted to drink. Though I doubt I could motivate myself to walk to the store even if I was.
.it's hard being unemployed. If I had a job I'd be able to motivate myself I think

Im already on anti depressants so thats not helping
Old 07-31-2020, 06:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have you tried looking for some comedy to watch online? I just look for random comedy/standup on youtube when i'm low. Hope you feel better soon
Old 07-31-2020, 07:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've been struggling with motivation on/off since my teens. It got way way worse with drinking but, for me, sobriety (even just a week of it) had improved it very significantly. I think also just normal aging decreases motivational forces in most people (I am 46 and am definitely experiencing this). If you are struggling with basics, like personal hygiene/self-care, and if those antidepressants are not helping, I would go back to the doctor and try something different, or adjust the dosage. I really think that some of us just have biological issues with how our reward system works, which drives us to seeking stronger alternatives (drugs) in the first place and it naturally becomes more difficult when we suddenly give those up, very common. I've learned over the years to push myself and do things even if I don't feel motivated. What helps is knowing I will like the result, once I see the result, it'll be satisfying. Even little things like taking a shower. It's a bit like "playing the tape through" to imagine what will happen as a consequence of drinking, but a positive reinforcement version.

I think being unemployed (when we don't want to be) can have serious negative effects on anyone's mood, self-esteem and motivation. Do you have any other things in your life that excite and energize you somewhat (other than vaping)? If yes, I would spend more time engaging in those. If not, look for new activities you find interesting, however small. Engaging social connections also help. If you would like to find a job, maybe start working on that, even if you don't feel inspired in the moment. In my experience, a lot of the time it's starting that's the most difficult - once I am in the action, it becomes more rewarding and inspiring. The motivation arrives with some delay.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

HI FF. 37 days is awesome and things would be so much worse with 37 days of drinking layered on your last 37 days.

I would revisit your meds with your doc. There are many different ones and some work and some don't. You sound horribly depressed and perhaps your med isn't working on you right now?

No need to break any speed records but can you get outside and wander a bit? I find that outdoor movement of even 10 minutes is a mood changer. The longer the better.

I'm sorry you are feeling unmotivated. Staying off the drink though is the only way you will get better.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What are you vaping? I hope it isn't marijuana, that will suck the life right out of you.

You sound like 10 year old me, "Grandma, there's nothing to doooooooooooooooooo."

Grandma, "Go outside and pick off the dead flowers in the garden."

Can you get outside? Take an hour walk every day and it will change your life.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

You don't need to wait for motivation to do something.

Think about that.

If everyone were motivated to "do" anything - not much would get done in our society. And I sure as hell would never go to the gym. Yeah - how about PASS on that idea?!!

This is the time in your sobriety where you get out from underneath your covers and do the things you need to do ANYWAY. Screw motivation. You'll catch up with IT later. Right now you've got a shower to take and a home to tidy up.

Get up and get to it. You'll be glad you did and your covers will be there waiting for you when you're done.

Don't forget to change your sheets and put a glass of water next to your bed.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I struggle with getting motivated. Motivation can come from inspiration but it can also come from forcing yourself to get up and go. Getting started is the hardest part as they say.

Exercise is a big one for me. The other day I was feeling really low after a couple days of binge watching on youtube. I've basically watched every episode of the soft white underbelly...depressing stuff but it kills my desire to drink. I then switched to the talent shows dancing auditions (I love dance). Yes, I watched them all! However, they inspired me which helped me get onto the treadmill and I finished off dancing with myself. This is my 3rd day being active.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Are things looking up FF?

D
Old 07-31-2020, 07:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Are you vaping "weed"? I smoke weed and when I do...I am NOT motivated to do anything.
I'm waiting for bloodwork to come back for antidepressents and they have helped motivate me in the past but they take a while to work.
yes, this COVID is literally killing people and motivation.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can relate, freedomfries. Not having a job is tough, not just for the financial stress but because of what it does to your head. Others have mentioned taking a walk. Sometimes you just have to force yourself to do something.

Congratulations on 37 days sober, anyway!
Old 08-01-2020, 03:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hope you are ok FF
Old 08-01-2020, 04:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How are you feeling today FF? I hope you are perking up some today.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I will also suggest taking a walk. When I get that 'blah' feeling, I take my little dog for a walk. That soon cheers me up and makes me feel useful.

And I get a big kick out of watching her just 'being a dog' - sniffing and following her nose. I always feel better when we get home.