Notices

Day 9

Old 07-30-2020, 09:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 9

I posted a couple days ago about anxiety.

It’s day 9 and I still feel awful. Constant anxiety, panic attacks, feeling like I’m in a dream.

I just don’t feel hopeful.
Is it normal for this bad of anxiety to last this long after drinking? I just want to feel like myself again.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd say, yes it is. Your body and mind have to begin to heal and it takes time.

TIPS FOR DEALING WITH ANXIETY (from the American Assoc for Anxiety & Depression)

I always give myself a grounding moment. You find 5 things you can see, 4 you can touch, 3 you can hear, 2 you can smell, and 1 emotion you feel. This (at least in my case) reminds me that the things around me are concrete and not changing all that much in this very moment so you can feel a little more at peace with your surroundings.

Take a Time-Out. Try some yoga, listen to music, meditate, get a massage or learn relaxation techniques. Stepping back from the problem can help clear your head.

Eat well-balanced meals. Do not skip any meals. Keep healthful, energy-boosting snacks on hand. Limit caffeine.

Get enough sleep/rest. Exercise daily to help you feel good and maintain your health. Use an iPod or exercise buddy to help you stick to your routine.

Take deep breaths. Inhale and exhale slowly. Belly-Breathing: Sit comfortably with shoulders, head and neck relaxed. Breath in slowly through your nose so that your stomach expands. Tighten stomach muscles, letting them fall inward as you exhale slowly through your mouth.

Do your best. Instead of aiming for perfection, which isn’t possible, be proud of however close you get.

Accept that you cannot control everything. Put your stress in perspective: Is it really as bad as you think?

Welcome humour. A good laugh goes a long way.

Maintain a positive attitude. Make an effort to replace negative thoughts with positive ones

Get involved. Volunteer or find another way to be active in your community, which creates a support network and gives you a break from everyday stress.

Learn what triggers your anxiety. Is it work, family, school or something else you can’t identify? Write in a journal when you’re feeling stressed. Look for a pattern.

Talk to someone. Tell friends/family you’re feeling overwhelmed and let them know how they can help. Talk to a professional.

Books

Amen, Daniel Change Your Brain, Change Your Life

Bassett, Lucinda From Panic to Power

Burns, David MD When Panic Attacks

Chodron, Pema The Places that Scare YoDoidge, Norman MD The Brain that Changes Itself

Dyer, Wayne Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life

Orsilla, Ken Mindful Way Through Anxiety
Old 07-30-2020, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Jess, I have been there before in my earlier quits when I had much less sober time. I figured out a few tricks which helped a lot!

1. Download a meditation/sleep app. I use "calm". All you have to do is lay down and listen. I tend to stay up at night because my mind wanders and I think too much. This helped me to end that and even during the acute withdrawals I actually fell asleep somewhat fast!

2. Diet. I had no idea how much this affected my sleep. When I quit I would eat TONS of sugar and that wrecked my sleep. I cleaned up my diet and sleep came quicker.

3. I take a over the counter sleep pill like unisom. (not medical advice, if you take it check with the doc) The sleep pill helps as well.

All of this is about sleep but it also helps anxiety to get more sleep.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you'll feel a little better soon JessJo

D