Notices

Still can't find my 1st day

Old 07-22-2020, 09:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still can't find my 1st day

Everyday is my first day, until it's not. My doc says i need to quit, my husband (who is also is an alcoholic) says i need to quit, my body says i need to quit. Sooo usually i really have no problem taking time off here and there, but lately i have the sweats sooo bad, clammy hands, anxiety, and of course, i have most times before had insomnia. So, i guess any ideas on withdrawing in a way that's safe and possible?

Old 07-22-2020, 10:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Depends how much you've been drinking. If it's more than the equivalent of 500ml of vodka for a month straight, you may need medical help.

Otherwise you can just quit and suffer through the anxiety and sweats and insomnia. It has to get worse before it gets better.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I suggest you see your doctor and be honest with him/her that you need to stop drinking. There are ways your doctor can help you quit safely.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, it should be case by case. You're right suki . Should a see doctor if symptomatic.

Today is the first day of your recovery Backtogood. You will never regret it. It is so much better than drunkiness. Stupidity. Have a future now.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I think freedomfries is speaking from their own experience so far. What I didn't know before I got here was that quitting repeatedly without something really bad happening is no predictor of the future.

My experience has been lots and lots of quits, sometimes with medical support and most times not. Hands down, the best time was when I did detox with medication as an outpatient under supervision. I had to go through an intensive outpatient program (IOP) to do that because doctors in my area won't support doing it alone.

Although IOP was the most comfortable for me, inpatient options might be more effective for some people because they provide medical support and remove access to alcohol. Ultimately that's what I did; inpatient rehab for 8 weeks followed by several months at a sober home. "Safe" for me entailed a lot more than physical withdrawal.

O
Old 07-23-2020, 09:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Doesn't matter how much you drank. Your body is used to daily intake of alcohol.

See a doctor and be honest with them so you can be prescribed a proper and safe detox.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Backtogood View Post
Everyday is my first day, until it's not. My doc says i need to quit, ... So, i guess any ideas on withdrawing in a way that's safe and possible?
First days of sobriety aren't found - they're created.
I suggest you go back to that doctor and flat out tell him or her that your detox is too intense to do alone and without some kind of medical intervention. Just put it all out there on the table and then quit talking so that your doctor can decide the most appropriate route for you. Hopefully, it'll work. Of course - ultimately, the only thing that really works is to stop swallowing alcohol. No matter what.

All my best.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think the fact that you intend to quit every day, but fail, is actually an excellent sign of progress. You don't want it anymore. The glamour is gone and now you probably just drink to fix the hangovers (that's how it went for me). Sobriety is so much better.

Be safe in your detox, that is the most important thing right now.

Glad you are here

Old 07-23-2020, 11:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

All the recommendations are great and that is the safest bet to detox under medical supervision if possible. That being said, millions of alcoholics quit on there own without the serious complications that can come. At the height of my drinking a while back I was EASILY drinking 12 shots/drinks a day and probably was intoxicated for weeks straight. When I would quit I would get shakes so bad I couldn't even use my hands and wouldn't sleep for days and anxiety was through the roof but I always went through it without any medical intervention. Again you can do it both ways but medical supervision obviously is the safest. There really is no other way than through though.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going Bart?

D