Notices

Face to face support. UK

Old 07-21-2020, 11:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Face to face support. UK

Hi all.

Just wondered if anyone knows the score with face to face support/recovery groups in the UK?

I really think it would benefit me but I'm not sure they're allowed because of Covid?

Thanks
Old 07-22-2020, 12:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm in the north east and none of the recovery groups where I live are yet back to having face to face meetings. That not only includes local drop in groups run by charities and other voluntary sector organisations as well as NHS funded treatment centres but also groups like AA. Organisations that offer counselling are only doing so via the phone at the moment.

From what I can gather, based on the organisations near me, none of the recovery groups will be offering any face to face support, whether one to one counselling or group support, for at least a few more weeks. It's not an ideal situation.

I don't think there's anything now to stop any of the support groups / treatment groups from now opening up but as we are still supposed to be practicing social distancing I guess it's down to the practicalities of how to safely do so when people are sitting close together.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes most places are just doing things by phone at the moment, and services are different in every region, I have just signed up to do an online therapy thing but it's only available in north west where I am. Definitely keep looking for places reopening I think they will soon.your doctor should have a list of any local support services available too if you think it's something that will benefit you in recovery, Good luck :-)
Old 07-22-2020, 11:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can find something face-to-face before too long, Flowing. Life has changed for most of us, and it's continuing to change.

In the meantime, please make use of SR as a source of support.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In my part of England an AA meeting reopened this week, so there’s a chance there may be one in your area. The people on phone line will know