Notices

Day 6 and doing okay!

Old 07-19-2020, 07:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 6 and doing okay!

I can't believe it's almost been one week. I have to say, it is a little bit easier than when I tried quitting in February. I think its because I have a few tips and tricks up my sleeve and you gain experience each time.
I also learned that you can't quit for anyone else, like I posted last week. You have to quit for yourself. I only have 2 supporters, my sister who lives out of state and my husband. My husband is very apprehensive of me quitting this time because "we've been through this so many times ". That was very discouraging to hear but also gave me the motivation to keep on keeping on.
I really can do this....one day at a time.

Edited to add a question.....is early sobriety like literally mentally and physically exhausting or is it just me? I'm not hyper focused on alcohol like I was the first few days but I find at the end of the day, I am mentally and physically spent. Is it just me or is this normal?
Old 07-19-2020, 08:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No, it's not you.

It is exhausting. The nervous system is hyper-aware, hyper-active. All those days/months/years of adding a sedative and now it's gone.

It gets better quite quickly. First couple weeks were the worst for me, then at about 90 days it was significantly better and at eight months I finally felt again the way I did as a small child, before alcohol.

Keep it going.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Having a few tools and tips makes all the difference....I think once we have a bit of knowledge behind us it takes away some of that intense worry too.

You are so right, doing it for yourself is key....but as a lovely by-product it benefits everyone. Being exhausted is totally normal. Get plenty rest and take care of yourself. The energy will come back! xxxx
Old 07-19-2020, 08:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

RedheadJen, congratulations on 6 days of sobriety. No, it's not just you. I was exhausted mentally, physically and spiritually in early recovery. It took a few weeks to begin to feel better for me, but things will improve.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I believe that you have more than 2 supporters. Maybe you forgot where you are at! SR has a couple of supporters I think.
Old 07-19-2020, 03:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

No it is exhausting but it gets better - congrats on nearly a week!

D
Old 07-19-2020, 04:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Looking back, I feel like I was rebuilding my body in early sobriety. As if literally, cell by cell! I was having to take naps out of the blue and had some brain fog, plus new habits and routines to bed in and new neuron pathways to create. I exercised a lot and ate differently - much more healthily - which helped the reconstruction.

Eight weeks in my body decided to show me some results and I lost a couple of kgs rapidly and started to build some lean muscle. Felt like my liver had arrived at a certain point of healing and was finally operating normally again.

It is a process but can be a very gratifying one if you listen to your body, nourish it and help it to heal. Your mind too will heal.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on a week! Yes the body is having to adapt to not having that sedative of alcohol. When we have alcohol in our system for so long the body has to ramp up everything to counter that sedative, downing affect. Once we remove the alcohol the ramp up from the body is still there so now we are to aroused. It takes time for the body to ramp back down to a more normal level.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It is exhausting ! I’m a month in and totally worn out 🤪

I am guessing it’s the body finally getting some well earned rest after years of abuse ..napping through the day even after a decent nights sleep and generally feel blah but will get better I am positive !!

well done on a week. 💪🏻