Notices

Bad anxiety and struggling for breath

Old 07-18-2020, 11:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bad anxiety and struggling for breath

Led me to drink tonight. Pray that I can arrest it in the morning. I’m such a mess.
Old 07-18-2020, 11:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey BABM

yeah by the end, my 'have to drink cos...' list got pretty big.

Right at the top of this link are some ideas for anxiety - any one of them is better than drinking, man.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...f-respite.html (Relief and Respite)
Old 07-18-2020, 11:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that BABM. My anxiety was off the charts when I first quit...it got gradually better (with exercise, work, therapy and mindfulness) and by week ten I could say: 'I don't feel anxious any more'

I'm sure that seems like cold comfort for you now but if you need to see a doc to get you through the first bit then maybe that would help? You seem really committed to sobriety and I reckon you deserve as much help as is available to match your incredible drive, perseverance and personality.

(My number one top tip for anxiety (which may not feel of much use now!) - eat PORRIDGE. Seriously. Try it for a week and tell me I'm wrong...
Old 07-18-2020, 11:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Be123 View Post
Sorry to hear that BABM. My anxiety was off the charts when I first quit...it got gradually better (with exercise, work, therapy and mindfulness) and by week ten I could say: 'I don't feel anxious any more'

I'm sure that seems like cold comfort for you now but if you need to see a doc to get you through the first bit then maybe that would help? You seem really committed to sobriety and I reckon you deserve as much help as is available to match your incredible drive, perseverance and personality.

(My number one top tip for anxiety (which may not feel of much use now!) - eat PORRIDGE. Seriously. Try it for a week and tell me I'm wrong...
I love you Be...Food has been a trigger though. I feel like my diaphragm is full. Again....a mess.
Old 07-18-2020, 11:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I love you too BABM ♥️. Your perseverance is a key trait that makes me confident you'll nail this at some point.

How about asking for help from the GP? Your will isn't the problem, any practical help you can get may be the difference between last time and ongoing sobriety?!

#bouncebackability

Old 07-19-2020, 04:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't know what PORRIDGE is but I'll throw in my vote for the Oreo* cookie diet.

Money back if it don't work.

*I don't work for them just a happy taste/quality control tester.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I feel for you, I'm in the same boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRW_iVajmfA
Old 07-19-2020, 08:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Stick with it BABM. Anxiety is hellish....I struggle all the time with it but there are really healthy ways to deal with it. My top 3 are

Walking
Baths
Breathing exercises

Keep working on finding a few things that help you calm down. Breathing exercises/meditation can be a total game changer.

Be123 - porridge? Really? I love porridge and eat it all winter but not in the summer. Do you think it really helps?
Old 07-19-2020, 09:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sigh, sorry bud. I know that exact place you're stuck in - I can call up the anxiety, fear, nausea and shortness of breath which were my companion in the last days of my drinking. I say this only to be able to tell you that you can get out, you can get free.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think it is important not to catastrophize your feelings too. If you build something up in your mind as "unbearable" or "hellish" or "insurmountable" it will become those things to you.
It's uncomfortable, to be sure. Sometimes very uncomfortable. But as Gabe and others have said can be brought into line with the right actions taken on your part. Nothing soothes my mind and anxious thoughts as much as writing them down. Gets them from playing like a broken record in my head.
And remember, the AV is not just thoughts, it's also any feelings that may lead to using. If anxiety is suddenly ramped up, restlessness, boredom, irritability, lethargy, feeling down. These are all AV.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Urge Surfing: https://motivationandchange.com/urge...s...%20More%20

4-7-8 Breathing Technique: https://www.healthline.com/health/4-7-8-breathing#1

Old 07-19-2020, 10:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
Stick with it BABM. Anxiety is hellish....I struggle all the time with it but there are really healthy ways to deal with it. My top 3 are

Walking
Baths
Breathing exercises

Keep working on finding a few things that help you calm down. Breathing exercises/meditation can be a total game changer.

Be123 - porridge? Really? I love porridge and eat it all winter but not in the summer. Do you think it really helps?
I do believe it helps Gabe, I mentioned it to my therapist and he mentioned 'hypoglycemic anxiety' - I find that the stodgy, slow release carbs make a massive difference to me. I eat mine with water, not milk, and golden syrup, and when I was really anxious it made a hell of a difference
Old 07-19-2020, 11:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

luckily there's a few lakes by me. Don't know why but staring at water relaxes me. It was a sunny day and the water was rippling. Some canada geese and even the noisy kids didn't annoy me.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

By drinking, you have set yourself back. The anxiety will come back along with all the other unpleasant aspects of withdrawal. If it's really bad, go to the ER and get treated. You've got to get thru the first few days for the anxiety to finally lessen. Whatever you do - DON'T DRINK!!
Old 07-19-2020, 12:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

The breathing technique SugarBear mentioned can really help. And, there are other breathing techniques that help with anxiety and panic attacks. You can google or look on youtube for lots of suggestions.

I'm glad you're back.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I took a long walk with the dogs and was feeling better but my AV already made the decision to drink
Old 07-19-2020, 12:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm not sure you understand what the AV is.

It doesn't make decisions. It makes suggestions based on made-up scenarios to get what it wants.

YOU make the decision to drink. You have to move your hand to Your Mouth. The AV is just a thought process that can be interrupted at any time with the answer, "I don't drink." The AV is simply a maladaptive part of your brain that YOU can control by just not acting on it.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

A bunch of kind humans. Ugh.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yeah, well the world is full of kind people. Why is that an "Ugh?"
Old 07-19-2020, 12:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Yeah, well the world is full of kind people. Why is that an "Ugh?"
I don’t feel worthy