Notices

Back after a break

Old 07-07-2020, 02:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back after a break

Hey folks, Hope y'all are staying safe. I took a break from SR over the last year. During this time, I was continuing to do my usual routine of about 8 to 10 drinks each week. Recently, I noticed with those whole virus thing, my frequency has increased to thrice a week (still counting at 10 standard drinks a week). I want a break from this useless beer and need your guys help to take a solid break and possibly sober up for good. Joined the July class and looking forward to hearing from y'all.

Question: With the covid situation, comes the big question of job security. This anxiety imo is one of the reasons i have to reach out to the beer can. That gives me a break from the constant worry for at least a couple of hours. How do you guys manage this? Suggestions welcome.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome calmself. We would mostly all advocate for sobering up for good but for now just don't drink today and don't worry about that yet. You might just like the non drinking you and not want to drink at all anymore.
Old 07-07-2020, 03:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry that you're feeling anxiety about job security. I wonder if it might be useful to work on updating your resume or looking around a bit to see what's available in your field in the job market. It might help to reduce your anxiety by being a bit proactive.

I'm glad you decided to stop drinking.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, Guys! I will put in more effort to resolve the root cause than masking the symptoms. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2020, 11:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi calmself - welcome back

I dunno about you but any anxiety I tried to drink away was still there after I sobered up - if not even a little worse cos I missed out on opportunities and spent money I needed to save.

I can think of better more proactive things to do to deal with anxiety than drinking.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...d-edition.html (Relief and Respite Covid Edition)

D

Old 07-08-2020, 11:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have found that after a week or two my anxiety goes down drastically and then comes back periodically but nothing compared to when I was drinking. I agree with what was suggested, at least for me, if something is giving me anxiety then I work on it to try and relieve it. Work on your resume or start looking for jobs and you will probably feel better. If you are worried about losing your current job maybe start thinking about a job with better job security?
Old 07-08-2020, 11:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Back!

Anxiety is something I have always dealt with as well, since I was a little kid. I used to think that the glass (never just one, which was the problem) or wine I had at the end of the day was the only way to deal with anxiety. When I was trying to moderate I became obsessive with counting glasses, and would find myself making deals with myself that I could have just a tiny bit more, it was exhausting!

I finally decided enough and got completely sober. I have found going for a while a walk outdoors each day is the best way to shake off any stresses from the day. Also, when life throws a curveball, and 2020 has seemed like one after another,! I am much better equipped to handle it sober.

you can do this!