Notices

Day 22 check in

Old 07-06-2020, 11:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 22 check in

All going well,one day at a time still though

i am planning on quitting smoking next week , failed many times so thinking of trying champix.

wondered on thoughts regarding this ? Should I just concentrate on sobriety at moment or give it a shot ? My priority in all honestly is alcohol and don’t want to jeopardise this after all the hard work so in 2 minds ..

thoughts very welcome and also anyone used champix to quit smoking?

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2020, 11:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it depends, do you think quitting smoking simultaneously will lessen your chances of staying off alcohol short time? If you quit both, do you think you could choose to lapse short term into smoking or will the combination propell you towards the bottle?
I think most people would say that quitting booze was the priority, I would tend to agree with that. It will be great if you can put both down at once but not at the expense of relapsing into both behaviours
Love Billy x
Old 07-06-2020, 11:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Also what sort of smoker are you? Did you start to smoke more 22 days ago when you quit the booze? For me smoking went hand in hand with drinking but I rarely seemed to pick it up otherwise. The option of course (and we wouldn't suggest this with booze) is moderation with the smoking, do you think you could start gradually eliminating certain cigarettes of the day and replacing them with other things slowly?
Just a thought
Love Billy x
Old 07-06-2020, 11:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some people quit both - especially if they tend to smoke while drinking, while others wait and tackle each in turn.
The right way is whatever you think the right way for you...for me that was to quit both at once.

D
Old 07-07-2020, 04:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you think you can quit smoking...than give it a try...nothing to lose and good luck.
Chantix worked for my friend...Did not work for me...because I didn't have a strong enough desire to quit.
I quit for a year using nicotine gum once....to each his own...do what works...give it a try.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Personally, I'm not making any changes until I hit the 1 year mark of sobriety. Just staying sober is taking all of my mental energy right now. That said, I did switch from smoking to Nicorette 2 years ago because my lungs were a state. But I'm totally addicted to the Nic Spray now (but lungs are good). I found these Listerine breath strips recently that gives me a very similar sensation. My plan is to substitute with that over time and eventually quit altogether, which I know I will do.

Re champix, my mother and father in-law quit with that after a lifetime of smoking. It really worked for them. My spouse tried it too, but it gave him nightmares. I also work with a guy who can't take champix because it causes suicidal thoughts for him. A lot to consider.

I'm the kinda lady who never rips off a band aid, though. I like to take things slow and make them as painless as possible. I'll stretch out dull pain over a long period as opposed to just ripping the band aid right off. I think both ways are valid, depends on the type of person you are and what you believe for yourself.

Congrats on 22 days!
Old 07-07-2020, 01:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies

I think I may give it a shot,my smoking has to be fair reduced quite a bit now i have stopped drinking so no maybe the time

Thanks for replies re Champix,read about the wierd dreams,if that starts then will be ditched fairly quickly as sleeping habits have vastly improved in last week and not keen on being a owl again!
Old 07-07-2020, 01:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sometimes I quit both and sometimes just alcohol. I would say alcohol should be a priority. If I drank I would smoke so I had to stop both. I tried different quitting drugs and ultimately quit without them. I don't even know what my quit date is for smoking. It has been a few years at least. Somehow I haven't been as successful with quitting drinking. I never stopped trying though. I would buy a pack, smoke 1 and throw them away and I did this for a while until it finally stuck. Now I haven't smoked in long enough that if I drank I no longer needed to smoke thank god.