Notices

The journey starts now

Old 07-06-2020, 12:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The journey starts now

Hi

I'm a 35 year old male and looking back over last 10 years or so i think I have a problem with alcohol. Only me being a low income worker has prevented me from drinking to dangerous levels. However my drinking if it carries on several more years will cause me health issues. 5 or 6 nights a week I will drink 4 - 6 cans of beer / cider. Its always in the evening to unwind i think i would get anxious and agitated if I didnt. It was 3 nights a week but from 2016 - 2019 I was working 6am - 6pm shifts and the only way to unwind was between shifts was have a few bevvys, this is when my drinking went to 5, 6 nights a week. I've got a better job hours wise now but the drinking stays the same. Its got to the point where if I have 15 pounds left a day or 2 before payday I will eat less so I can drink. This has alarmed me. I want to cut back first to two nights a week. Then maybe from there to teetotal. My mum is an alcoholic so I believe I'm genetically susceptible, I've currently been with my partner for 5 years and she will drink 2 or 3 nights a week (its more tho during lockdown), i want to learn how to relax without drinking alcohol..... any advice from you good people will be much appreciated
Old 07-06-2020, 01:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Hobbes!

If you read and post enough here, there is all the support and advice you need to get stop drinking. Perhaps the most important thing I have learned here is that you should have a plan to stay sober. For me, I like the 12 Steps of AA, because it is a simple plan with lots of support (in the form of Zoom meetings recently).

Here's a couple good threads to join:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-one.html

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post7472526 (24 Hour Recovery Connections Part 492)
Old 07-06-2020, 01:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Coldfusion I'm going to start looking at those links
Old 07-06-2020, 01:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I drank same way as you and for similar reasons. My mother is also an alcoholic. I’m six months sober now And I can tell you the intense anxiety I had was caused by alcohol. I know now I was drinking to fix what the drink was causing. With each sober day comes more clarity.

There is so much you can learn on here and a ton of support. You can do it!
Old 07-06-2020, 01:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Hobbes. Welcome to SR. It's a good place to get some support.

If alcohol is causing you problems, I think you should think about quitting altogether. Moderation of problematic drinking seems to be nearly impossible for most people. That's just not how our brains roll with booze. When I had the first sip, that was it. If there was alcohol within 5 miles of me, it was going to pass my lips on the way to my liver until I passed out for the night. Then rinse, repeat the next day.

Why don't you try quitting for a few days? Read about planning to be sober. It sounds like drinking has lost its original charm for you anyway. Drinking to dull anxiety sounds awful.

Anyway, keep posting on this thread and tell us how it is going. Cutting down, quitting, drinking the same or drinking more - keep posting whatever the case may be.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well you are young enough and drink moderately enough to really kick this beast in the teeth and have a happy healthy life.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Hobbes

personally I found cutting back to 2 nights a week harder than quitting all together.

I'd make a plan to drink Friday and Saturday nights and I'd drink what I used to drink in a week on those two nights. Eventually I was drinking earlier and earlier on Friday and later and later into Sunday so that those two days got involved too...then wednesdays..etc

I say this with concern..but if you're at the point where you'd rather drink that eat - I think you need to reassess this plan and the true nature of your relationship with alcohol..

D
Old 07-06-2020, 04:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family Hobbes! I tried moderating but it didn't work for me. I found it was a lot easier to just stop drinking altogether. I'm a lot happier for it too.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I'm glad you recognize that alcohol is a problem for you. As others have said, trying to moderate drinking is almost impossible and exhausting. It's really much easier to stop drinking altogether. Things that help me to relax are music, books, walking, sitting with my cat. Can you think of things that would work for you?

I'm glad you found us.