Notices

Anyone in recovery from food addiction?

Old 07-05-2020, 10:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone in recovery from food addiction?

So I'm on hospital and the nurse weighed me. 91kg at 175cm. Almost obese. So there's no denying I have a problem with food. I've gone to OA before and I think I'm gonna go back.

What helped you with food. Obviously complete abstinence isn't an option so I am going to try and moderate. I'm going to cut out junk food entirely and limit myself to three modest meals. I'm returning to college in sept so I'm going to try and lost 15kg in 11 weeks so I can buy new clothes at size medium .

Is anyone else struggling with food addiction?
Old 07-05-2020, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Food addiction is really complicated.

I didn't like the OA model because it requires complete abstinence from certain foods. While I agree that some foods can trigger over-eating (like sugar, sugar/fat combinations, wheat products, nuts, dried fruit and various other things for other people) I don't see myself as abstaining from them forever or calling myself a failure at recovery/not recovered if I don't.

My approach is moderate daily consumption of sugar and wheat. Allowable treat days where I can over-eat. Limiting those treat days.

I don't see food addiction as nearly as dangerous as alcohol. However, some people will see it that way and I think if a person gets to 300 pounds or so then, yeah - some pretty drastic behavior modification is in order. For me, working on my personal issues was enough for me to be able to stay at a healthy weight and still enjoy treat foods now and then. I had to stop using food to quiet my emotions. I don't have big treats all day every day and definitely not without some limits, but not total abstinence either. I also wasn't trying to stick with a food program when I was getting sober from alcohol. I was already ten years into my food program.

As far as recovery goes, complete alcohol abstinence has to be the first priority. It's hard enough to tackle one of those issues and alcohol is the dangerous one since you're still at a reasonably manageable weight. I lost about the same amount as you need to lose, and it took me a little less than a year.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think with me with any junk food it's hard for me to stop. So OA"a abstinence model could work for me
Old 07-05-2020, 11:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There is a section of the forums dedicated to Eating Disorders...quite a few threads there with abstinence as the goal.

Good luck, FF.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/eating-disorders/
Old 07-05-2020, 11:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I recently decided to "change my lifestyle" so that i would maintain a body weight closer to 200 lbs. Ideally, around 190. I am currently 225.

I always try to eat healthy with proteins, veggies, and fruits. The problem is I would eat tooooooooo much. I would eat until my stomach was popping full. I was compulsive. I would start and just eat as fast and as hard as I could until I was popping. This led to way too many calories.

I decided to use my knowledge of quitting drinking booze to managing my eating. This means an internal battle of analysis vs emotion. The way I got this clean has been self discipline and self denial.

That means "suffering." That means everyday my stomach is going to be growling. I am going to feel hungry every day. I only eat 2 times a day. The first time is breakfast about 14 hours after my last meal. The next and final meal is about 7 to 10 hours later. In that time I might have some fruit or a couple of corn chips, but not a full meal.

I have lost about 5 pounds so far.

Prayers.

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I read somewhere that you can eat whatever you WANT....just in small amounts....
I do think eating disorders are equal to alcohol disorders because you are going to the food for some type of comfort...relief...
So...just like drinking....if it were me I would pick a diet that I thought I could stick with and pick a date and stick with it....
I feel bad someone above told you there is an "eating forum" I have other problems and I have found that this website doesn't have a lot of activity on other boards...been months since some people have posted on some of the other forums and years on others...Do what works...If it works posting here...than post here....unless the moderator says you can't....you do have some answers here.
Best of luck
Old 07-05-2020, 02:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have a binge eating problem.....just like someone cannot have one drink...I cannot have anything sweet/junk or I lose control.It has been a struggle for me for over 35 years. I am not overweight because I do exercise daily (hell I am probably addicted to running but that's not causing me problems). I treat certain foods just like alcohol....I cannot have them. With me I really try the day to day approach and if I fall off the wagon I just dust off and get back on. It's hard though because when I binge it will cause me great depression let alone feel sick for two days. I have to agree with Missy...the eating disorder forum does not get much activity...many of the posts are mine, Not sure if I helped you much but I know your struggle. Like biminiblue said...it is complicated...very!
I have started a food and mood journal and that seems to help. I am 7 days free from binging.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm currently trying to lose weight (again) due to various health conditions
The things that work for me are portion control, regular exercise and no sugary stuff wherever possible.

D

Old 07-05-2020, 04:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I’ve definitely struggled with eating disorders over the years, though probably not the most extreme cases (borderline anorexia in my teens, binging and purging randomly over the years, particularly when I’ve been depressed and drinking too much). I’m much better now, but it’s been a long road of incremental changes. I used to be weirded out by vegetables and healthy food in general, and I’m not free of neuroses, but cooking more so I could be in control of what I was eating, especially portion-wise helped. For a short while I measured EVERYTHING I ate, but just for a while so I had a better understanding of portions. I also would let myself eat whatever I wanted, but had to eat my salad or whatever vegetables I made to go with my junk food dinner, which generally resulted in me eating less of the junk food (like not a whole pizza) and training my taste buds to crave the salty/sugary/fatty stuff way less. I also found working out early in the day tended to help me make much better food choices throughout the day- if I felt good from working out, I would want to keep that feeling going. Anyway, those are all things that worked for me, but everyone’s different. I think one thing that everyone can benefit from is trying to let go of shame. I used to try hardcore diets and when I inevitably slipped, I’d get so down on myself and give up on the whole thing. I had to switch that frame of mind and not shame myself - if I enjoyed the treat, just let myself enjoy it and try to move on. If I didn’t actually enjoy it and physically felt bad, take the lesson and move on. Those shame spirals can really do much more damage than the “slip” and getting away from that helped a lot. Good luck on your health goals! It’s really worth it to learn how to best care for yourself, even if it takes some trial and error.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

"Is anyone else struggling with food addiction?"

When I stopped drug abuse, I took up Sees candy, dark chocolate to be specific. Dark chocolate is mood elevating for me.
The truth is that all addictions serve an emotional purpose and that purpose is to regain control of how we feel. We are all biologically wired to seek control, avoid pain and pursue happiness. We all want to experience happiness in our lives, we want to be in control, because the perception of control, makes us feel good.

What I noticed, for myself, is that when I, "decided," got get my fix, I felt in control. It was exactly like I felt when I scored cocaine for my weekend use! There was a sense of profound relief. I had empowered myself and regained control of my feelings because I knew what was ahead for me. In sobriety there is a big difference in my behavior though. I don't eat the entire box of candy, in fact often the free samples are all I need. Often I won't even open the box for days and when I do I just eat a few pieces (moderation if you will). My point is that psychologically, food can be addictive when it is used to reverse feeling of overwhelming helplessness, being trapped, powerless and out of control to intolerable circumstances in life. The antidote is to empower yourself with more healthy behavior that is important to you (even if not perfect) and that you value. Bottom line: Recognize your feelings, Reframe the pros and cons, Replace your corrupt behavior with empowering, valuable, more healthy behavior.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

How have you been doing, FF?
Old 07-06-2020, 08:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PuckLuck View Post
How have you been doing, FF?
Well I was in hospital from saturday morning to just a couple of hours ago (I had a seizure) so I've been eating the junk food my parents brought me. But now that I'm out the diet is starting.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
Well I was in hospital from saturday morning to just a couple of hours ago (I had a seizure) so I've been eating the junk food my parents brought me. But now that I'm out the diet is starting.
Glad to hear you're out and doing better. I apologize, I have been completely out of the loop.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CRRHCC View Post
"Is anyone else struggling with food addiction?"

When I stopped drug abuse, I took up Sees candy, dark chocolate to be specific. Dark chocolate is mood elevating for me.
The truth is that all addictions serve an emotional purpose and that purpose is to regain control of how we feel. We are all biologically wired to seek control, avoid pain and pursue happiness. We all want to experience happiness in our lives, we want to be in control, because the perception of control, makes us feel good.

What I noticed, for myself, is that when I, "decided," got get my fix, I felt in control. It was exactly like I felt when I scored cocaine for my weekend use! There was a sense of profound relief. I had empowered myself and regained control of my feelings because I knew what was ahead for me. In sobriety there is a big difference in my behavior though. I don't eat the entire box of candy, in fact often the free samples are all I need. Often I won't even open the box for days and when I do I just eat a few pieces (moderation if you will). My point is that psychologically, food can be addictive when it is used to reverse feeling of overwhelming helplessness, being trapped, powerless and out of control to intolerable circumstances in life. The antidote is to empower yourself with more healthy behavior that is important to you (even if not perfect) and that you value. Bottom line: Recognize your feelings, Reframe the pros and cons, Replace your corrupt behavior with empowering, valuable, more healthy behavior.
agree with the above 100%!!! For me, food binging was a problem until I became a drunk. Now that I'm sober, it's back to food. But I'm developing a healthier relationship with food. I choose to believe food should be enjoyed. I'm finding that for most bad food habits, there's a healthy alternative....like the avocado chocolate pudding i made today. With alcohol, there were literally no alternative healthy drinks so I'm actually happy to be working on food issues now. My perception/perspective on food has certainly changed.

Old 07-06-2020, 02:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Freedomfries. Do me a favor and if you haven't already, watch a few documentaries that are really interesting and fun to watch and all 3 eye-popping: Fed Up, Supersize Me and Forks Over Knives.

Sometimes learning about nutrition and doing deep dives is the only way to begin to rewire bad food habits. Those three movies will really make you feel good and positive about making some nutritional changes. The food industry has stacked the deck against our health and these three movies really do a great job shining bright light on that.

How are you otherwise FF? Not drinking I hope?? Food is another bugger but you'll get it figured out. And at least when you eat 3 cheeseburgers you don't start blackout texting, running into **** with your car and generally making an ass out of yourself.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by Sober45 View Post
agree with the above 100%!!! For me, food binging was a problem until I became a drunk. Now that I'm sober, it's back to food. But I'm developing a healthier relationship with food. I choose to believe food should be enjoyed. I'm finding that for most bad food habits, there's a healthy alternative....like the avocado chocolate pudding i made today. With alcohol, there were literally no alternative healthy drinks so I'm actually happy to be working on food issues now. My perception/perspective on food has certainly changed.
Avocado chocolate pudding! That gives new meaning to, "Comfort Food!" :-)
Old 07-07-2020, 09:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Samantha

I am a food addict. At 5'2 my highest weight was 208! I was horribly obese. Now I weigh 156, still overweight but I exercise a ton and am in pretty good shape.
I have struggled with anorexia, bulimia and binge eating disorder and it is not pretty and my poor body image is probably the main reason for my drinking. Its all related.
Food addiction makes me sad, it's horrible. I would rather drink than eat but of course that is not how life works.