Notices

Need some help

Old 07-05-2020, 09:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need some help

I've read a lot on this site and but I realize that I'm using the site the wrong way. I'll read the next morning or after I drink basically see a thread that may make me feel better about myself or to tell me that "maybe I'm not so bad". Well I realized that objectively speaking, I am that bad. I sometimes drink in the morning to take the edge off but then not much throughout the day until that wears off. I guess what the idea is that (at times like this) when I'm thinking about a couple of drinks to feel better that I know tomorrow I'll regret it but for some reason, I still do it. I guess I'm laying it out there and seeing if you guys just white knuckle it through these times or do you have tricks to avoid these urges. I know this is pretty basic stuff but I'm really at that level right now.

THanks for listening and any help in me avoiding make that run to the liquor store. Have a nice day.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A few other things, I don't believe that my drinking is "out of control" in so much as I'm never out of control or objectively drunk but I know that has little to do with being an alcoholic drinker. I know it's what the drink does to you that makes you an alcoholic. So I guess if I'm considering a drink at 12:19 than that represents a problem in itself and maybe an addiction of some type.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The urges to drink are insistent in the beginning - they just are. So yeah, there's a bit of a struggle but it's only as bad as you decide it is.

The longer I went without a drink the easier it got but that doesn't mean the desire for a drink is [necessarily] going to go away completely. I just have decided there's nothing good for me in alcohol.

I don't drink, despite what thoughts may pop into my head. It does not matter what happens, what I think, what I "feel" - I don't drink, no matter what.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks so much Bimini. I never really thought I would get to this level and always read that it's a progressive disease and this couldn't be more true in my case. I and I'm sure others, have constantly rationalized the drinking as to nothing major happening or something like that, but slowly, things did get really bad and worse.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would argue that you have had a lot of bad things happen. You've posted about a few of them in the past nine years, maybe go back and read your past posts.

Trying to compare your drinking with someone else's or trying to fluff the pillows when the house is on fire are really futile endeavors, yeah?

How about you stop drinking for a while and reassess when your head and nervous system are not chemically altered.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

In my earliest days of sobriety I used heavy heavy exercise to give me dopamine etc. I was working out 5 to 7 days a week. I used the desire to improve physically to stop me from drinking. I basically worked out instead of drinking.

Graham Stephens, a youtube investment sensation, calls the hours between 6 pm to 12 am as most productive hours for taking it to the next level financially. I agree.

During the "witching hours" I also binge watched tv, played terrible guitar, cleaned the garage, etc etc etc.

The science behind the crave is what got me this far. There is no "taking the edge off."

It is simply all about suffering and feeling insane. After I long long long while, the insanity felt normal and I got this well. Nobody knew I was in hell on earth and I didn't advertise it anywhere, but here.

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

JAD, I think the only way to get through a craving is to distract yourself as best you can, and get through it. It will help to know that, each time you get through a craving, the next time will be a bit easier. And, the number of cravings will lessen, too.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

there are a lot of basic but effective tips here JAD.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

I also recommend a recovery action plan -

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

and a little bit more involvement here. I used this place 24/7 in the beginning.

Effort and persistence really does bring results

D
Old 07-05-2020, 02:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks all. I was able to stave off the cravings for the day. On to a new day tomorrow.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

JADIII, I'd like to share with you what really helped me. The 2 things that enabled me to drop my addiction: 1. turning my life over to my Higher Power 2. Becoming more loving and helpful towards people.

Everyday I reaffirm that I am giving my life over to God, that I want him to come into my life, that I want to have a relationship with Him.

Becoming more loving started by posting positive messages on post it notes and leaving them in bathrooms and other public places. And then everyday I think of what I can to help someone that day or make their life easier. It has produced amazing results for me.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going JAD?

D
Old 07-11-2020, 06:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by timi0000 View Post
JADIII, I'd like to share with you what really helped me. The 2 things that enabled me to drop my addiction: 1. turning my life over to my Higher Power 2. Becoming more loving and helpful towards people.

Everyday I reaffirm that I am giving my life over to God, that I want him to come into my life, that I want to have a relationship with Him.

Becoming more loving started by posting positive messages on post it notes and leaving them in bathrooms and other public places. And then everyday I think of what I can to help someone that day or make their life easier. It has produced amazing results for me.
Wow! This is wonderful advice!
Old 07-11-2020, 11:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

JAD, lots of good advice. I will just add to never give up! Each time you slip you learn. Nothing more to add as all I would say has been said. Good luck and stay close!