Notices

You’re not like other people...

Old 07-05-2020, 03:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

You’re not like other people...

In your reaction to alcohol. So don’t compare yourself to them. If you’re an alcoholic drinking alcohol will always lead to loss of control of the amount consumed and a loss of control
therefore over your behaviour.
Grateful to be sober 🙏
Old 07-05-2020, 05:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You don't know how many of those people have issues with alcohol and are not doing anything to address their problem. I read somewhere that eighty something percent of people with issues with alcohol will never attempt to remedy the situation.
Old 07-05-2020, 05:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Some long term problematic drinkers do actually learn to have an occasional drink. And everyone’s drinking pattern is different, what may cause problems and distress to some may not to others. Everyone is different and has their own problems. Can’t really say that we are not like other people... I feel like I fit in with the rest of the world just fine
Old 07-05-2020, 06:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Buttery View Post
Some long term problematic drinkers do actually learn to have an occasional drink. And everyone’s drinking pattern is different, what may cause problems and distress to some may not to others. Everyone is different and has their own problems. Can’t really say that we are not like other people... I feel like I fit in with the rest of the world just fine
I know I don't (at least if I am actively drinking). Now I know for sure that one joint or one beer will eventually lead to the dark, dark road and everything, I mean literally EVERYTHING will be wrong. Therefore I don't even think about negotiating with my Addictive Voice. No way, it will sooner or latter become a huge mess. For me it's just a snowball.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Buttery View Post
Sounds like you're saying that "addiction" is a myth, that "alcoholics" just need to learn how to have an occasional drink, that this site doesn't really need to exist because the problem, if it exists at all, is merely about adjusting one's "drinking patterns?"

Definitely not my experience.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have tried to become an occasional drinker for as long as I have known I was a 'problematic' drinker. I have failed dozens of times, both with alcohol and with cigarettes. The approach does not work for me; I would not be in this forum otherwise.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

By any means necessary.

Stay clean. Booze is poison. I hate the stuff.

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
Sounds like you're saying that "addiction" is a myth, that "alcoholics" just need to learn how to have an occasional drink, that this site doesn't really need to exist because the problem, if it exists at all, is merely about adjusting one's "drinking patterns?"

Definitely not my experience.
If I believed addiction was a myth I wouldn’t be on this site...
all I was pointing out is that everyone is different. I have met a recovery worker in the past who had been sober for a very long time and was open about how he learned to manage just an occasional drink. There is actually a lot of evidence that shows that addiction isn’t always a life long problem, but depends on the person. I personally don’t want to find out if I would ever handle that one drink or not though.
im not saying it’s for everyone, but as mentioned above problematic drinking is different for everyone. I actually took offence reading the original post stating that we are not like everyone else... I know lots of people who have problems, just because their problems don’t involve alcohol doesn’t mean we are not all human and deserve to be part of normal society.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

To me the first post reads like - don't waste time wishing you were like normal drinkers because you're not.
If you drink like me, our relationship with alcohol is not a take it or leave it kind of one

That sounds very simple - but it's not.
It took me decades to accept that.

I was drinking all day everyday and still was looking for the thing that would 'turn me normal'
I was never going to be the guy who grew out of 'problematic drinking' and drank normally.

Id be surprised if any of those kind of drinkers would spend much time on a site like SR?

D
Old 07-07-2020, 06:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
To me the first post reads like - don't waste time wishing you were like normal drinkers because you're not.
If you drink like me, our relationship with alcohol is not a take it or leave it kind of one

I was drinking all day everyday and still was looking for the thing that would 'turn me normal'
I was never going to be the guy who grew out of 'problematic drinking' and drank normally.

Id be surprised if any of those kind of drinkers would spend much time on a site like SR?

D
Exactly this. Grateful to be sober 🙏
Old 07-07-2020, 07:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

D
they most likely wouldn’t spend much time on a site like this if they were going to be shut down for sharing that they recovered and were able to have just one.
I personally don’t need to find out. Happy as i am. Was just sharing an opinion and some experience from meeting others. I really don’t feel like we are all the same, what works for some does not work for others. If it did no one would relapse from this.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree BackandScared, except I have tried hundreds of times, no, probably thousands of times. I have never succeeded.