Notices

The regret

Old 07-02-2020, 05:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The regret

Hi, I am new to this forum and just finished my 3 day detox today. I feel ok physically but struggling so much mentally with the regret of all the harm I caused to myself, my loved ones and others. I am getting divorced and have limited time with my kids and have lost friends. The extent of it all didn’t become clear until I became sober.
Anyone have any good thoughts on how you deal with that regret and still maintain the strength for sobriety? I know it should be simple - alcohol made you lose everything which should be reason enough to stop. But I feel like now that I already lost it all, why stop? I am struggling.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'd suggest you stay sober cause if you drink again, you never know how low you'll fall. There is always something worse that can happen so don't risk it.

I love my sober life. I wake up feeling good and I know I won't do anything to get myself in trouble.

I hope you'll read and post and soak up all the support you'll find here.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you, Hhk. You're in good company - we all understand. You'll find encouragement here. Congratulations on completing your detox. I know you're still feeling shaky & vulnerable - it's normal.

Regret and remorse was a big problem for me when I was newly sober. I'd been foggy most of the time for years. I was still able to work & get by, but was not paying full attention to what was going on in my life. I hurt and confused many people with my reckless behavior. In my heart, I knew I wasn't that irresponsible person - the drunk me was nothing like the actual me. It's so hard to explain it to a normal drinker. That's why being here helped me so much - I never felt isolated and alone after joining.
I hope with time you'll gain strength and confidence. Hold your head up and be kind & patient with yourself. You're beginning a new life - you're free.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
nez

Things lost due to alcoholism, can be found again in recovery; but it is only a possibility if sober.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Things are never so bad that they can't be worse, and there is nothing alcohol cannot make worse.

While it may appear that you have lost everything, you haven't. Maybe make a list of things you still have to be grateful for. I assure you, there are many.

Welcome to SR. You'll find a lot of support here.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great advice here HNK - welcome!

My motivation, simply, was to do better.
I knew I could do better the the life I'd been given, and I have since I got sober.

You have an added layer there of doing better for your kids.

Regardless of how limited the time is you see them you'll always be their parent - there's no better time to start working on rebuilding that relationship afresh - and the only way to do that is sober
D
Old 07-02-2020, 06:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that early recovery is so hard mentally. It's the time when we have to stop and look at the messes we created with our drinking, and it can be overwhelming. But, I know you can get through it, slowly but surely. Focus on staying sober and being the best person and best dad that you can be.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know exactly how you feel. I have lost everything. No marriage/kids involved, but everything else pretty much. Most of the damage was to myself but I feel an immense amount of shame and guilt. Left with a pervasive sense of hopelessness as my constant companion.

It helps to remind myself that people have come back from much worse and gone on to find happiness. There will be dark days ahead. I still have them. You certainly shouldn't feel that you are a horrible person. No one asks to be an alcoholic.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi HHK. I really know how you feel. It's not easy, and whatever we say those feelings will probably remain to some extent. In a way I don't think they are ALL bad - I'd be a pretty terrible human if I didn't regret the way I've treated certain people.

Having said that, if those feelings make your sobriety at risk then you have to do something with them - part of my insanity when drinking was the remorse drove me to carry on and do MORE of the stuff that made me feel so guilty.

I make the decision to take RESPONSIBILITY for the past but repeat, almost as a mantra, I cannot change the past. Taking responsibility means not repeating mistakes, learning from the past and doing all I can to make the present (and therefore future) better. It's hard and there are days I am overcome by grief at why I've lost and how much stuff I've ****** up. But what choice have we got? Become paralyzed by shame? No - got to move forward no matter how it feels
Old 07-03-2020, 12:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome HHK! Ugh...the regret and shame in the beginning is awful. I could barely hold my head up the first month due to the shame of what I’d done to my family and close friends. It was horrific and shocking
But, I promise you—IT WILL GET MUCH BETTER. It will be GREAT actually. Truly. Focus on the relief you will feel once you get more sober time.
Most of us have been right where you are you now, so keep checking in.
Hang on and remember there is HOPE and HAPPINESS in your future. The dark feelings will disappear sooner than you think if you stay sober. Problems with your family are repairable.
You truly can redeem yourself, get your life back and it will be better than before.
Are you going to do AA or some other type of peer program after your detox?
Sending you all the best thoughts and support.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Hhk, you and I are "day buddies" I guess as I'm only on the third day myself. Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone in that nihilistic thinking. I gave in to it after a pretty decent stretch of sober time. Not only did the drink not kill my pain or fix what was wrong in my life; it made it worse.

Good luck with everything.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The most important thing that I have learned is patience. You didn't get in the shape that you are in over night and it is going to take a while to recover. Patience.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

one if the ways to deal with regrets is to do the 12-step stuff suggested in AA. when i finally did that, i got to clean up the harm i had done as best as possible.
that was helpful to me and my regrets.
it’s true we cannot change the past, but sometimes/often we can change the way it impacts the present.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going Hhk?

D
Old 07-04-2020, 12:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I know its difficult but I would really encourage self compassion. I think we can all say our actions/behaviour don't match our values whilst we drink. I struggle with the guilt too. The worry I cause my other half. My kids being scared to see me so drunk I cant physically stand up. I know it's not the real me though and I find that does give me some strength.

You've got this and I'm rooting for you 👍
Old 07-04-2020, 06:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There is much more to getting sober than just not drinking.

You may want to give AA a try. The program can help you deal with regrets from the past and fears about the future. And as a bonus, you can meet a bunch of sober people who have gone through what you are feeling.