Notices

Sober Independence Weekenders 03 - 06 July 2020

Old 07-02-2020, 12:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

Sober Independence Weekenders 03 - 06 July 2020

to the Weekenders

Independence from alcohol.

Three words potent enough to give us our lives back from the chains of addiction.

Before I got sober, my life being ruled by alcohol, ruled by my next drink, a slave to addiction and my life on hold, nothing could interfere with my drinking.

When I became sober, I had no chains holding me down, no weekend binges, no embarrassments from blackouts and all the things I said and did when drunk, and no hangovers.

It’s a fight worth fighting,

It’s a mountain worth climbing,

It’s a prop worth rejecting,

It’s a life worth living

And it’s a fight you can win.

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes. (We’re here all week too!)
Old 07-02-2020, 12:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

thanks Mags
Old 07-02-2020, 12:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags
Shotgun
Old 07-02-2020, 01:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Woohoo Congratulations on shotgun Willow! xx
Old 07-02-2020, 01:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, I'm off work from this evening until Tuesday now!
Old 07-02-2020, 01:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags.

I would love to be completely free of any addictive behaviours but they keep reforming in different ways. I am happy though that I am 20 months free of alcohol and long may that continue.

Alfie has a ball addiction, one is never enough.

Old 07-02-2020, 02:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reid82 View Post
Thanks Mags, I'm off work from this evening until Tuesday now!
me too Reid. I have 4 days off
Old 07-02-2020, 02:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lol Kaily, Alfie is so cute ❤️
Old 07-02-2020, 02:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Woohoo Congratulations on shotgun Willow! xx
Thanks Mags
Old 07-02-2020, 02:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Magsie

Reid, Willow, enjoy your days off.

Kaily, One can never have enough balls.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Mags

D
Old 07-02-2020, 03:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thanks Mags
Old 07-02-2020, 04:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wonderful OP! And so true.

Alfie looks very proud of his colorful balls.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Afternoon Weekenders! Thanks Mags.

A ball addiction seems so much less insidious than an affinity for alcohol, Kaily. Being free from it for 20 months is something to cherish and be proud of.

I have something that I’d rather get off my chest right now, namely that I’ve been struggling for the past few weeks. Figuring that I know what needs to be done, I didn’t share this in my posts. I won’t be looking for excuses, as there are *so many*, especially during this time, but none of them hold true. One thing I did differently though, is to stay close to SR throughout it all. Willow, at risk of singling you out, you inspired me to no end. The bottom line is that I’ve been tapering (and held to it) for the past 4 days. I’m ready to commit once more and to make as many changes to my plan as may be needed.

I’ll be taking a little walk later this afternoon, and hope to post a picture or two.

Old 07-02-2020, 04:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

We are all with you dear Captain. s xx ❤️
Old 07-02-2020, 04:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wishing you strength and perseverance captain, and a nice walk.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags! I'm in!

Firstly thank you all for the kind comments on my 18 months. Vman asked if I am working a formal program and no I'm not, but I most certainly have my recovery plan which develops over time. Contributing to Weekenders every week is an important part of it (thanks guys), as is daily accountability, regular exercise, healthy eating, steady work and plenty of gratitude...

Lately though I have been displaying some addictive behaviours. I'm fairly sure I'm getting addicted (please don't laugh) to Diet Coke. I drink several bottles a day, rotating between stores, sometimes first thing in the morning or last thing at night. I use it to ground myself when thinking about work etc. My housemates initially thought I was drinking again but have since been reassured. Should I be worried?

As for the end of June work deadline, I was able to demonstrate all the components of it working to the client's satisfaction, though didn't quite bundle it up in time. Never mind - they had a few outstanding bits and bobs to tie up themselves so were not worried. Delivering this would have been impossible when I was unwell so it is another major thing to be thankful for.

Stay close this weekend everyone. Warm wishes to all. Forwards.

Old 07-02-2020, 06:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Alfie looks very proud of his colorful balls.
Who wouldn't want colourful balls.

Captain I am so pleased you didn't disappear and that you kept reading. Glad you are ready to commit and fight the good fight. You are good and strong, you will beat it. Enjoy your walk, I look forward to seeing your pics.

Forwards I think anything that makes us feel good in any way has the potential to become addictive. Just wish I knew the answer. I have got to the stage where I avoid nice things just in case I like them too much. There is a constant niggle.

From my walk today.

Old 07-02-2020, 06:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Chains. I won't tell my story again about quitting smoking, but the chains of addiction are so strong - all the stupid little addictions.

Forwards, I think caffeine is a tough one. I try to keep my caffeine intake down to one coffee and two teas per day. I really want to have a lot more, so I know how easy-hard that one is. I stopped drinking fizzy drinks when I quit drinking as beer was one of my favorite things and even soda with lime made me want tequila so that was easy.

The sugar thing. It's still hard. Kaily I feel ya, girl. It's a battle.

There is no dog in the history of ever that can display obsession quite like a terrier - especially a Jack - so I think Alfie was born to it. As were we.

Hang on everyone. Captain, you can kick this thing. Nothing good for you there in that bottle - but I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. I'm really glad you're back posting.

Dropping the chains of bondage. There's a good story in the back section (Personal Stories) of the Big Book of AA about that. It starts on Page 110 of this AA pdf:

Freedom from Bondage
https://www.aa.org/assets/en_us/en_b...es_partIII.pdf
linked by permission of AA World Services Inc.

Last edited by Dee74; 07-02-2020 at 02:05 PM. Reason: AA copyright requirement.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:03 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in. Wonderful OP, Mags. Being free from alcohol is a feeling that never seems to get old. I'm reminded more often these days of how my life used to be, because of the man friend and his DUI. He's really down about it and struggling with all of the legal stuff. He's not quitting drinking, though. I struggle with that a little. I'd love to see him free of alcohol also. He has a pretty significant problem with it, I think. I'm not in his head so I can't say he's an alcoholic, but he even admits it's an issue. But it's his life and his decision. It's just sometimes painful for me to watch him behaving just like I did after my second DUI, about 8 years ago. It's a potent reminder of that time in my life, and good reinforcement for my decision to leave that part of my life firmly in the rear-view mirror.

Captain, thanks for sharing and being honest. We are here to support you.

I am working today, and probably will tomorrow. Because the holiday falls on Saturday, we have a floating paid day off - so I can take it whenever I want to. I'm debating whether or not to take the day off tomorrow or save it for another time. I might just go ahead and take it tomorrow, because I'm sure most people will and it will be quiet.