Notices

Lost my job due to COVID and have relapsed

Old 07-01-2020, 12:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lost my job due to COVID and have relapsed

I lost my job March 26. Out of 14 weeks I have only been paid 2 weeks in unemployment. I am drinking heavily again. Yesterday was terrifying. I drank in the morning. I went to get more alcohol at 1030am. I drove the wrong way on a heavily traffic road. I luckily noticed and drove over the median and got in the right lane before the traffic light changed. I have Antabuse. Starting that now. It may not be the answer but it will keep be from drinking.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

That sounds so dangerous, and I'm glad you were able to get the car turned around quickly. I'm sorry that you've lost your job and have received almost no compensation. I hope the Antabuse helps. Do you have a plan for how to stay sober? Are you able to start looking for a new job soon? I hope so because it will help to create some structure in your day. I haven't used Antabuse but I hope it works for you. Above all, don't lose hope that you can get past this drinking period.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was always good when I had a job. Kept me busy and connected to people. The chances for a job right now are slim. I am female 61 and jobs are slim pickins right now and if there are any they want younger. Unemployment is overwhelming. My plan right now is just Antabuse. Better than nothing.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, I think job prospects are slim everywhere. If you're not already doing some kind of exercise each day, that might be something that would help. Do you have family/friends that you can connect with via the internet or in person? That might help, too.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Go for it Kiss. The Antabuse, that is. Even if just for a short time until you find your feet.

I'm so sorry about not receiving adequate unemployment benefits. An appalling situation, no fault of your own.

Don't let govt policy bring you down! Rise to the occasion. Get sober.

You were doing so well. And you'll do well again.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad no one was hurt KMT.

I struggled with losing my job in my 30s.
I hated not being productive and having the days stretch out into nothingness.

Eventually I had to find some meaning and focus cos drinking like I was literally a game of Russian roulette.

Volunteering helped me get back a sense of purpose and a reason to get up in the morning.

Is that an option for you too?

D
Old 07-01-2020, 03:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm glad nobody was hurt in your traffic incident.

I can relate to being thrown out of sorts by the lockdown. That's what put me on the road to ruin too. God willing, I will stay off that path for good this time.

There's no problem that drinking can't make worse. Good luck.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think lockdown has pushed many to ruin...I was already in ruin and it just ruined me even more.
You are 61...you have to stop (I am 56) driving the wrong way in traffic is something I would find myself doing....very possible...cause I always say Im not going to drink and drive but no one is around when I am in the alcohol withdrawals and feel like I need to go because I need that alcohol...and the only way around that is to not drink...…

Antabuse...I got very, very sick once ….I had been taking it a while and I stopped it for a week (planned the drinking) and I still ended in hospital because the Antabuse was still in my system. If you take that you have to be really sure your not going to drink.

Sometimes the thing that we think will help us....helps us a great deal...so if you have belief that the Antabuse is going to help you...than you know what is best for you to do....anything is better than drinking and feeling how you feel now
Old 07-01-2020, 07:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I remember after one of the times I should not have been driving I realized there was a bible verse in the car. I'm not a bible thumper and I don't even go to church. Long story how it got there. Because of this I now know one bible verse number. John 3:16 God loved the World so much that he gave his only son. Just that statement, stand alone, believe in Jesus or not, the bible word for word translated in English or not. That's powerful to me, how much God, or ones concept of God, must love the World.

Anyway your story reminded me of that particular night.

Antabuse may be good in the short run but if you're really in a deep mess with alcohol something to treat the alcoholism might make life easier.

My drinking was a symptom of my alcoholism. Periods of time without alcohol only left me with untreated alcoholism. It left me with restless, irritable, and discontent. What got me through it was getting a sponsor and working the 12 steps. Meetings got me through day to day but I had to work the steps to treat the alcoholism. There are alternatives, smart recovery and a few others I've heard of people having success with.