Notices

Antidepressants during detox

Old 06-28-2020, 02:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antidepressants during detox

Hi Everyone, its been a while since my last post, now home from Saudi Arabia and 125 days alcohol-free. My problem now is anxiety and depression. I never had it before and think the alcohol was possibly masking it? My doctor initially gave me an SSRI (Sertraline) prescription which was terrible, I couldn't sleep and my head was all over the place. I stopped taking them after a month without a taper and thought I was going crazy. I eventually began another type of anti-depressant called mirtazapine 30mg and I am on it 6 days now, some days are good and others bad but I know it can take a few more weeks to adjust to my body. (it's working better with a clear head now 50% of the time and relaxed) I don't want to be on it long term but do not know if that is my choice and hoping that its PAWS still playing up and eventually will balance itself but I know I am altering my brain by taking an anti-depressant. What a conundrum to be in. I start a new job tomorrow and hope I can keep it all together in a quite senior management position. Hopefully, the new meds work and I can ween off them in time and reclaim my life. Regards the alcohol now, it doesn't bother me now at all not drinking and I look upon it as the poison that got me into this situation after 40 + years of putting my hard-earned money down the drain. Any thoughts or similar stories/situations greatly appreciated. God Bless and stay safe.

Old 06-28-2020, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Never taken that antidepressant but I'm on another - for nerve pain - and that looks like it will be lifelong.

It took a couple of months to get used to the meds and for them to start to have a consistent effect, but now?

I'm not high, I'm not feeling like I'm high, and I'm not wanting to be high - I'm not avoiding responsibilities to take an anti dep instead and it's never left me in bad dangerous or embarrassing situations.

I'm not taking extra or obsessing about it...And i'm not blissfully happy night and day either which was one of my silly fears before hand.

Each to their own, but I don't consider I'm breaking recovery - I'm simply looking after myself and my quality of life.

congrats on 125 days Carlingford

D
Old 06-28-2020, 04:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh yes, exactly what Dee said is true for me. I finally got started on antidepressants just before I stopped drinking. I have been taking them for years and don't intend to or feel a need to stop. My depression started in my early teens and I didn't start antidepressants until my mid-forties. I no longer fear going to that 'dark place' but at the same time, I know I have to work at staying positive, too.

Good luck with the new medication and good luck on your new job.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have been on various anti-depressants for over 15 years. Also been drinking alcoholically for 15 years. I have had sober periods during this time where they seemed to work. I think I have tried 4 different anti-depressants but they have sexual side-effects that made sex a waste of time.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My husband takes this with good results. His brother, who is a recovering alcoholic, also takes this and is doing well. He (BIL) had terrible sleep problems and anxiety and it helped him a great deal. I hope this works well for you.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Never taken that antidepressant but I'm on another - for nerve pain - and that looks like it will be lifelong.

It took a couple of months to get used to the meds and for them to start to have a consistent effect, but now?

I'm not high, I'm not feeling like I'm high, and I'm not wanting to be high - I'm not avoiding responsibilities to take an anti dep instead and it's never left me in bad dangerous or embarrassing situations.

I'm not taking extra or obsessing about it...And i'm not blissfully happy night and day either which was one of my silly fears before hand.

Each to their own, but I don't consider I'm breaking recovery - I'm simply looking after myself and my quality of life.

congrats on 125 days Carlingford

D
Thanks, Dee, I'm feeling good today after 1st day in a new job. I was getting numb hanging around in the Covid crisis worrying about bills, etc etc. getting to use my brain in work and have no doubt I will sleep soundly tonight. Feeling normal again Thank God, I will continue as long as my doctor says too. No high just normal and anxiety, head melts and obtrusive thoughts and gone. Take care and Thanks for reply
Old 06-29-2020, 02:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Smile https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/448113-antidepressants-during-detox.html

Thanks, Anna, the first day went well and feeling upbeat especially since the anti-depressants seem to be clicking in now and feeling normal again. Sorry, its day 10 now on meds now. Hope it keeps getting better but happy out now big time now take care C

Last edited by carlingford; 06-29-2020 at 02:27 PM. Reason: TOO SHORT
Old 06-29-2020, 02:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mayabee View Post
My husband takes this with good results. His brother, who is a recovering alcoholic, also takes this and is doing well. He (BIL) had terrible sleep problems and anxiety and it helped him a great deal. I hope this works well for you.
Thanks, Maybee,, yes I tried one before unsuccessfully, this one seems to work great, TG especially helping with sleeping. Take care
Old 06-29-2020, 07:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Samantha

I take a med for my bad anxiety....took a while to get anywhere with it though. I think it took about a month until I noticed a difference.
I know how you must feel, especially starting a new job. But keep posting, we are here fo you.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I experienced social anxiety about 4 weeks into sobriety. Six months later, I was dealing with it more often. Usually in public speaking situations when I would start sweating and hyper-ventilating.

I considered seeing a doctor for it but decided to manage it with regular exercise and cutting down coffee on days when I was due to present publicly. It went away after a couple of years of sobriety but I did have to manage it quite actively.

I realised that I'd masked my natural shyness with drinking and for a time wondered if anxiety had just been latent in me all along. With more time having passed, I don't think I actually have anxiety. I feel perfectly fine now and haven't had an anxiety attack for about 2 years. I really think what happened is that I messed up my nervous system and chemistry with prolonged heavy drinking.

This is just my personal experience. Certainly not meaning to discourage you from medication if it helps your situation.