Notices

Alcohol an expensive sink cleaner

Old 06-28-2020, 02:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol an expensive sink cleaner

I have thrown about 10 cans of beer and 4 bottles of beer down the sink in the last week after consuming alcohol.

This cycle of giving in to cravings - drinking - throwing alcohol down the sink - swearing never to drink again only to be drinking 3 days later has been going on far too long.

A silver lining is I have not had any spirts for about 10 days after pouring half a bootle of Jameson’s Irish whiskey down the sink.

I had to work hard last week and felt I needed/ deserved a drink. Almost every emotion I have seems to automatically lead to a strong desire to drink, my brain seems hardwired to it.

I have work to do on this.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you tried online meetings Stable - just about every recovery method has them now.

D
Old 06-28-2020, 02:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by Stable View Post
I have thrown about 10 cans of beer and 4 bottles of beer down the sink in the last week after consuming alcohol.

This cycle of giving in to cravings - drinking - throwing alcohol down the sink - swearing never to drink again only to be drinking 3 days later has been going on far too long.

A silver lining is I have not had any spirts for about 10 days after pouring half a bootle of Jameson’s Irish whiskey down the sink.

I had to work hard last week and felt I needed/ deserved a drink. Almost every emotion I have seems to automatically lead to a strong desire to drink, my brain seems hardwired to it.

Hi Stable, I can relate...

Alcohol was my go-to for everything thing.
  • If I felt pissed off, I wanted a drink.
  • If I was happy, I wanted a drink.
  • If I was sad, I wanted a drink.
  • If I was bored, I wanted a drink.
  • If it was raining, I wanted a drink.
  • If it was sunny, I wanted a drink.
Your brain is hardwired for alcohol. So is mine. Years upon years of heavy drinking actually changes your brain chemistry. The good news is you and I can re-wire our brains over time by staying sober, but it ain't happenin' overnight.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stable, everything in my life was a reason for me to drink, too. It's what our minds do. You can get past this.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
p***enger

Great thread title!

A person who can make a quality contribution like that to the forums, can and will get sober!
Old 06-28-2020, 04:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I had to learn here that the crave attacked my emotional mind, the resistance to the crave was my analytical mind.

Left brain vs Right brain. That is why the whole process made me feel insane.

As the physical addiction of the body dies down, the mental addiction (which is sort of physical because it directly impacts the brain's chemistry) lingers for years. The mental addiction works a myriad of angles to get me to relapse. If I could think about it, it was a reason to relapse.

Even now, the crave is there. I read here that folks don't crave and I can relate. But, I also relate to those that relapse after years of sobriety.

Left vs Right.

Booze is poison. I have unlearned drinking.

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

What's really weird is that I was obessed with alcohol before I even took my first drink.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Most importantly you continue to keep trying and that is awesome! Keep coming here and keep it up!
Old 06-28-2020, 05:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I couldn't stay sober until I got to the point where I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you find what you need to stay sober for good Stable

D
Old 06-28-2020, 05:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah Stable, if the wind blew a certain way or the sky was not quite the shade of blue I wanted, it was a reason to drink. We need to get to the place that there are no reasons to pick up a drink and the realization that drinking won't change the wind or the sky or anything else. If you drink because you are happy, the happiness is quickly extinguished. If you drink because you are hungry, angry, lonely or tired, all of those will get worse with drinking. Glad you are back and posting. You can get this figured out.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had to work hard last week and felt I needed/ deserved a drink.
You know none of us reading can think that way however hard we’ve worked or whatever stress we have. We never needed or deserved a drink. It was our altered brains telling us to drink.

I still don’t get why you source so much booze. If you bought 2 bottles of beer, I can sort of get that, but not 10+ bottles.

But that’s not the issue. I’m upset and disappointed to read your post. I noticed you’d been gone, and I hoped for a better outcome. You’re not daft by any means, but you’re missing out on so much in life by drinking like this.

Whatever you’re doing now isn’t working, and to get that “deserve a drink” mindset out your head needs help. Ask your GP to start with. Good luck, but please stop repeating this cycle.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Like Potluck and Anna pointed out, reasons for drinking never end. Any reason can also have its polar opposite, and that's a reason to drink also. I thought I was the only person to have that realization, because I'd never heard it expressed before I came to this forum. I think variations of these opposites may be nearly universal. Spotting those polar opposites as causes to drink may have been helpful too, because it helped me understand that contradictory circumstances can both be reasons to drink. A bad day was a good excuse. A good day called for celebration, and somehow drinking was always the endpoint. This suggests to me that there probably is another reason, the real reason. That reason is addiction.

The way to deal with alcoholism for me was to forget about reasons, and put my energy into changing my behavior. It turns out that is what it took. You can think and reason until the cows come home, but what good is that if it always leads to a drink? Put away the self psychotherapy and use behavior modification instead. You can still do the psychotherapy, but understand you have to change how you behave around alcohol first, and then you change how you think later.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Drinking was a habit for me and I enjoyed the ritual of making a drink, then watching a favorite TV show or grabbing a book to read. After many years, that ritual turned into drinking several bottles of wine or just taking straight shots from a bottle of whatever booze was handy.
One thing that helped when I first stopped drinking was to always have a glass of juice or soft drink close by-that helped fulfill my habit and the sugar calmed down the cravings.
I also can’t have alcohol in the house....it’s too tempting to sneak “just one sip” that turns into an entire of bottle of liquor gone.
Just little tips that helped me break the cycle. I hope they can help you too, Stable.
Your thread title made me LOL! Thanks for that and hang in there.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've found that emotions are the primary drivers of human behavior. All addictions are caused by one underlying emotion: intolerable, overwhelming, helplessness (fear). All addictions serve an emotional purpose. That purpose is to reverse feelings of helplessness. Reasons for compulsive substance abuse or any hurt, hangup or habit, are driven by emotional factors, usually feelings of intolerable, overwhelming helplessness about whatever in life makes one feel overwhelmingly trapped, powerless and out of control. When we reverse engineer this basic psychology we can learn other behaviors that empower us and reverse feelings of helplessness. The trick is to find other high value behaviors that are important to you.