Notices

New and Need Support

Old 06-28-2020, 09:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and Need Support

Hello,
Getting re-acquainted with this Forum. Years ago I used this forum when my husband was actively drinking and I had no one to really turn too. Jump ahead many years later, husband is now ex-husband. He is sober and living elsewhere. I started using wine to cope I believe with the pain and loss of divorce. I was also left alone to raise our three children. It has been a painful road and I don't think we have fully recovered from the bomb of our family separating. I'm still a single Mom, no real men or relationships since the divorce almost 4 years ago. I have been busy to say the least. One of my children just left to be with his father and informed me that he didn't want to come home and wants to live with him. This rocked my world again. I have a therapist and she is a good one. She knows me and my family very well. Well we had to do the substance abuse eval thing yesterday and I put down that I am drinking at least 3 or 4 glasses of wine daily. She asked me if I was dependent on it. I guess I don't know really, I haven't tried not to drink in the past 4 years. Let me re-phrase that. However, I know from a medical standpoint I shouldn't be drinking as much as I do. My liver has always been enlarged. My weight loss has slowed to a creeping crawl... all from consuming too much carbs and sugar I imagine. So, I start to think... maybe I have grown dependent on it. I know the rooms here are private and very helpful. So here I am. My goal is to cut drinking out this week and see how I do. Any and all E,S,H is welcome to me.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope we can help you get sober for good.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Welcome back, Image

You've got a lot going on. I am not qualified to speak on your situation having never gone through anything like that, but I'm sure there's a bunch of people here who are willing and able to help.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi ImagetThere - it's so good to have you with us. Talking things over here really saved my life. I had felt all alone until I realized others understood.

I always thought a few drinks were the answer to most of my troubles. I was a very anxious & insecure person - drinking seemed to calm me down. In the end, it did just the opposite. Over the years, my few drinks turned into all day drinking & a shredded life. Stopping seemed impossible - but reading & posting here on a regular basis gave me the strength I need. I'm sorry for the painful time you've been through - but glad you are taking a look at what alcohol does to your life. You can get free of that habit.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

All you really need to know ImagetThere is that alcohol seems to be causing you some problems. 3 or 4 glasses per day is not good for you at all and you must be wondering about issues of addiction. I would continue exploring that with your therapist and for now, stop drinking and see how you feel. Make a pro-list and a con-list for staying sober and keep adding to both columns as things occur to you. Perhaps make a plan for staying sober to address things like cravings. Can you make today your Day 1 and get some days under your belt? That way you can have an informed discussion about what all this means.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have been wondering about issues with addiction. As a young person I could go out a drink with friends and then not drink for several weeks. When my ex-husband was actively drinking and drugging. I did not keep alcohol in the house at all. If I had a glass of wine or something it would be outside of the home when I saw a friend. I come from a family that alcohol is a part of celebration. There is a history somewhere in my family. I think I just normalized have a few glasses of wine as relaxing. It isn't good for me...I had a sponsor through Al Anon several years ago and worked the steps. It really helped me to uncover the parts in my life that I needed help with. It's time to peel back that curtain again and expose those pieces that have been busted up and need repair in my soul.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So what about it then ImagetThere? Day 1 today and see what happens? You don't have anything to lose from a sober few days.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back, and you're making a great decision for yourself and your children to stop drinking. I hope that it goes well for you. I wonder if you have a plan in mind for stopping drinking. I think it's good that you have a therapist, because for me, I needed to deal with underlying issues as to why I turned to alcohol at a very difficult time in my life. It's worth the effort though.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi image and welcome. I had 5 years of sobriety until my divorce and it rocked my world. It is still the hardest thing I have ever gone through. I drank heavily for a few years before finally coming out of it and getting in a new relationship. Divorce is the hardest thing most of of us go through if we have to experience it. It sounds like if you are addicted you are early in it and now is the time to stop. If anything for the stupid extra calories. Alcohol is poison anyway. If you think no more alcohol forever that is probably pretty intimidating so why not just stop for a month and see. As for your boy choosing to live with his father. Just let him. In time he will come around I am sure although I can see how hard that must be.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi imagetThere: you certainly made an important decision to cut out the drinking, to join SR. My thoughts are with you and your family. You will find the support you need.