Notices

sugar cravings

Old 06-21-2020, 01:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

sugar cravings

Hi friends,
Any feedback is welcome. I am two days sober, and also experiencing sugar cravings. I am aware this isn't unusual. On top of the overuse of alcohol, I have several auto immune illnesses and have recently gained weight for a number of reasons. Alcohol being only one. I'm attempting to make more responsible and positive decisions regarding health and nutrition on this journey. Has anyone tried something like a raw honey instead of consuming candy? I am just curious. Thanks so much for your input....
Old 06-21-2020, 01:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Try fresh fruit. Your body is trying to replace the lost sugars from the alcohol and it's healing and trying to gain more vitamins and minerals.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Sugarbear, I definitely hear and agree that is a better alternative than candy. With my auto immune issues, there is also a great deal of inflammation and systemic reactions. Again, alcohol definitely not improving those either. I have just read about therapeutic value to raw honey and the benefits to auto immune and inflammation. Frankly, no cravings for fruit....just straight sugar. Not complaining, and fruit is a good idea for certain. I only wondered if someone on this forum might have any experience with using raw honey as an alternative to candy or fruit during this time. This might help my inflammation as well. Just to be clear, I am not asking for any medical advice. Thanks again. In the meantime, I am feeling fine and will keep on keeping on no matter what with trying to do the next right thing. Thanks so much!
Old 06-21-2020, 02:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, fresh fruit should help. Hopefully the sugar cravings won't last too long.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 2 days! Like Sugarbear said fresh fruit is a good way to go, it has fiber so the sugar is not absorbed into the bloodstream as fast. Honey is made of fructose and glucose as well and fructose is the thing that causes the body harm though admittedly one teaspoon has about 5 grams of sugar so it would be hard to take the same amount that's in for example glass of orange juice(36grams).

Good luck!!😊
Old 06-21-2020, 02:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Absolutely Anna, I am actually not a sweets person normally. I am more of a salt and cheese girl (need to make better decisions there as well). I'm trying to think outside the box and the weight gain is no fun either. As of today though, alcohol is my priority to work on. Perhaps putting some raspberries in the freezer would be satisfying as well. Thank you...
Old 06-21-2020, 02:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can attest to raw honey taking care of sugar cravings.
Much better than a candy bar or ice cream for keeping blood sugar from spiking and then crashing.

Also, raw honey is approx calories per teaspoon and that teaspoon goes a long ways.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My understanding is locally made unfiltered raw honey is different. It also has anti inflammatory properties if made in the area one lives in based on my research. But since I don't have any, fruit it is. Thank you for the well wishes and time to reply
Old 06-21-2020, 02:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you IAmSam….I so appreciate your reply.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Saying prayers, I have nothing to add about the raw honey question but congratulations on day 2. I am on day 3 so we can do this together.
Old 06-21-2020, 03:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Going to try my best Maximus!!!! Congrats to you as well...High five to you!!!!
Old 06-21-2020, 04:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm nine days sober and although it's usually the salty stuff I love to snack on...I too have been craving sugar like crazy.

I've been eating lots of fresh strawberries with whipping cream on top..it seems to do the trick. I love the idea of raw honey though, I'm going to look into it, thanks for the tip saying prayers! And congrats on 2 days!!!
Old 06-21-2020, 05:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Sugar can be a slippery slope of crave, eat, crave eat. In addition to the honey start with some fresh fruit. No, it won’t be the same as a cake or cookie or candy. I found that after replacing sweets with fruit, in a few days I was craving my sweets much less and enjoying my fruits much more. Plus you get to eat so much more fruit then sugar or honey if you go by calories which means less weight gain. I indulged in my sugar my first year of sobriety and I gained weight. I was ok with this choice as I needed to really be sober first. I’m now in my better eating phase started three months ago and a really good fresh piece of fruit gives you the sweet hit and lingers much much longer. Good luck!
Old 06-21-2020, 05:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, I know the alcohol is what I need to concentrate on more than anything at this time. I admit to being discouraged though. Day two and my abdominal area feels far more bloated than when drinking. Sigh. My face is puffy. However, I have also been on prednisone several times this year with the auto immune. No magic fix and I realistically know that. This bloating and abdomen thing is a tad discouraging. I really want to avoid gaining any more weight...I realize I may not lose weight right away. I just don't want to gain anymore. I do appreciate all the feedback.