Notices

Hello all

Old 06-20-2020, 11:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello all

Ok, so i need to stop drinking. Over the last 18 years I have slowly worked myself up to drinking between 6-12 drinks a night, 6 out of 7 nights a week, for the last 4 years. I haven't had a relationship in over 10 years. I have been burning my arms and hands while drunk cooking late-night, sometimes peeing the bed, and forgetting what and If I hate that night. The longest I have gone without drinking is 3 days in the past 4 years. I live alone in the country, my friends and family live about an hour away. I grow weed for income and spend a lot of time on the computer. You can say I'm addicted to Youtube as well... I know this lifestyle is not healthy and want to change. I want to find a significant other. To love and to be loved. And I'm tired of burn marks.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job for reaching out Marc and welcome. I passed out once while cooking and woke my roommates up to the smoke alarm going off. Scary stuff. Stop drinking first but don't get overwhelmed about any of that other stuff yet. Have you stopped yet?
Old 06-20-2020, 02:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you’re reaching out Marc and welcome

Max is right. Concentrate all your effort on stopping drinking.

also i hope your burns are ok and not getting infected/etc
Old 06-20-2020, 02:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by MarcC View Post
Ok, so i need to stop drinking. Over the last 18 years I have slowly worked myself up to drinking between 6-12 drinks a night, 6 out of 7 nights a week, for the last 4 years. I haven't had a relationship in over 10 years. I have been burning my arms and hands while drunk cooking late-night, sometimes peeing the bed, and forgetting what and If I hate that night. The longest I have gone without drinking is 3 days in the past 4 years. I live alone in the country, my friends and family live about an hour away. I grow weed for income and spend a lot of time on the computer. You can say I'm addicted to Youtube as well... I know this lifestyle is not healthy and want to change. I want to find a significant other. To love and to be loved. And I'm tired of burn marks.
Awesome you're here, Marc! Welcome.

Been a heavy hard liquor drinker for 15 years with periods of success and a hell of a lot of do overs. Some negative health consequences have popped up the last two years of my life while reaching rock bottom. That's a bit of my background.

Day 1 here too, so I'm right there with ya.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to have you with us, Marc. You are definitely not alone - we all understand what you're going through.
I was drinking every day too - I was reckless & self-destructive. I don't know why I clung to it for so long - it wasn't bringing me anything but sadness & desperation. You can reclaim your life. I hope you'll keep reading & posting.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the feedback. And Yes, I have stopped drinking. Lastnight was the last time i drank. I'm not drinking tonight. I'm with you PuckLuck on Day1. It's nice to have some support.
Old 06-20-2020, 04:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Marc, I am only one day ahead on day 2 so we can all do this together.
Old 06-20-2020, 04:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaximusD View Post
Marc, I am only one day ahead on day 2 so we can all do this together.
I'm happy to have the opportunity to get sober with other people. I plan on visiting this forum daily, for a while....
Old 06-20-2020, 05:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Marc - you've found a great place for support.

D
Old 06-20-2020, 05:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad you looking to help yourself. Drinking that much will ruin or at least dampen alot of things. Been there, done that. If you nip that in the bud before it really messes up your life you will be doing yourself a favor. The other stuff you mention would probably work itself out after that. I would bet on it. You would be surprised how much drinking, sucks (and screws up stuff) Good for you for quitting, I would suggest sticking around here and reading what what you can and keep posting. Sticking around and posting can help alot. What age range are you in if I could be so bold? All the best to you and hope to see you around. This place helped me quit a year ago and it feels great to be free of alcohol.
Old 06-20-2020, 05:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Do I have serious withdrawal symptoms to worry about. I live alone and pretty far from a hospital. About 6 months ago I made it 72 hours sober without any serious issues...
Old 06-20-2020, 05:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm 35 years old.
Old 06-20-2020, 05:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It all depends. Some have major symptoms others have very little. All I had was anxiety and night sweats for about 4 days. How do you feel now? How long has it been since your last drink?
Old 06-20-2020, 05:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sounds like you may be fine but letting some one know that you are quitting is a good idea so they can check on you or at least call. The worst of it is supposed to be the first 72 hrs. but can go longer. Read about it if you have not. You can call for an ambulance if you start feeling bad.
Old 06-20-2020, 05:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's been about 22 hours since my last drink, I feel a little anxious and depressed. I will contact family and ask them to check in with me for the next couple days.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ride it out, dont let the discomfort make you drink again. Once you get through though those first 3-5 days you will start to notice improvement every day. I waited till I was 48 to quit(last year) I knew I should quit when I was 35. Thought about it eveyday in fact. Turns out it was the best thing I ever did. Life it just as fun without the booze. Trust me. Plus you will save a bunch of noticeable cash.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

and congratulations on day one. Just keep it going.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Marc, I may be wrong and others may counter me here but I think most people don't have those severe DT's. I would venture to guess that many an alcoholic has not quit out of fear of DT's that never would have come. This does not mean that I don't think you should take precautions but try not to stress over something that may never appear.
Old 06-21-2020, 04:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I dont know the stats but I tend to agree with your line of thinking. I drank everyday with maybe 2 days off in 30 years. Everyday all day. About a shot every 10 minutes or so starting about 6-8 am till about 9pm. I had very minor withdrawals.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I was somewhat restless in sleep last night, but other than that I feel great. I'm excited to have a sober, productive day. Thanks for the feedback.