Notices

Anyone can change if they want to...

Old 06-20-2020, 07:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone can change if they want to...

Ultimately if anybody is willing to go to any lengths then they can stop drinking and get recovering from alcoholism. Whether they choose to do this is another matter however. The only reason I did is because I reached the jumping off place as talked about in the book Alcoholics Anonymous where I couldn’t live with or without alcohol. I reached that point of inner loneliness and despair which I needed to commit to recovery and do whatever it took.

I’m so so grateful I got to this point and moment of clarity and acted upon it and supported my decision with daily action. Sobriety is a wonderful gift and has given me a fantastic life. It’s freely available to all who want it 🙏
Old 06-20-2020, 07:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The bologna can be sliced many different ways can't it BD? I want to change but I cannot, I cannot change because I am an addict, change is too hard because (fill in the blank), etc. But I think you are right that the common ingredient in all sober folks is the desire to be sober. I too reached the point that death was not far off and I wanted to live. I chose to live.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I'm so glad it worked out that way for you, brighterday. I agree that we all ultimately reach a jumping off point - I also think that point might be located in different places for each of us.

"Want" didn't even begin to cut it for me.
I also needed motivation, support, understanding, time, space and a firm belief that this thing could be done. By me.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for the reminder brighterday!
Old 06-20-2020, 10:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Are you an optimist Brighter Day? 🙃
Old 06-21-2020, 01:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I agree, anyone can. It is down to us on these pages to help get others who have not got there yet to find that right mindset (for want of a better word) that will enable them to quit for good.