Your thoughts please

Old 06-17-2020, 03:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Your thoughts please

My AC had non stop vomiting. Went to ER and had testing done. Was told it was cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome from smoking weed multiple times a day. Had this before a few months ago.
Blood work came back that liver enzymes were elevated. Has a high functioning liver. Was to be in alcohol recovery for 5 months so I am questioning whether or not that was a lie.... I didn't think it would take that long for the liver to recover after the stopping of drinking. I honestly don't feel the drinking was stopped, I feel it was being hidden from his other half.
Been in the ER 3x's now in the past few days for non stop vomiting. ER recommended a GI doctor feels there could be something else going on. I thought possibly an ulcer or gall bladder issue. I thought I had read that smoking excessive weed could cause ulcers... I know the booze would as well. Doesn't have pain just vomiting nonstop.
Just wanted some thoughts.
Old 06-17-2020, 04:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Hummingbird

none of us are doctors unfortunately.

It might take that long for the liver to recover - I'm not sure.
The enzymes might be elevated simply from the heavy smoking, or he could be drinking.

I hope your son can find answers, and find recovery. I also hope you can find peace

D
Old 06-17-2020, 05:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You mentioned in your last post that he had called the liquor store 21 days out of 30 - bit odd unless his GF works at the liquor store?

I think anything would be a pure guess at this point, gallbladder, ulcer, weed - who is to say, except a GI doctor. I hope he can get in to see one very soon. If not I hope he will return to the ER again.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I guess I'm not sure what your question is? Addicts have all kinds of physical and mental medical issues. Its a pretty endless list. There isn't anything any of us who love them can do about it.

Hummingbird, I've been reading here for at least 10 , probably 12 years, and you've been here the whole time, making the same kinds of posts about your son. I'm a mother, I have a son. I understand your worry and your pain. Nothing hurts a mumma quite like her child making bad choices. I get it...

I'm glad you still come here to ask the community for help. I hope one day you heed the advice and focus on your OWN health. I also hope your son one day feels the Dignity of being a man in his own right without everybody else all up in his business. My brother is a 46yr old child because my mother and some other family members are enmeshed in the dysfunction. I can't even call it HIS dysfunction because it belongs to the others involved as well. He feels disrespected because no one treats him like an adult....because....he doesn't act like one...because ... no one treats him as such....its a sick, sad cycle. It perpetuates his bad choices. It's sad that in my brothers situation, it will never end, my mother feels entitled to impose herself into her "baby's" ( her words) life. I hope your son has a brighter, more independent future.

I am truly sorry your son is sick, no one ever wants to ever see their child suffer, even when you know it's their consequences catching up with them. I hope the doctors can figure it out and plot a course. I hope your son decides to make wise decisions regarding his health, since he is the only one that really has a say in it. I hope you do the same for yourself.

I am not a religious person, but I am hoping/praying that you, your son and your entire family family find health, peace and reasonable solutions.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was just asking for thoughts. I was wondering if anyone else had experience in what he is supposedly diagnosed with.
As for being independent.... he lives across the country- I haven't seen my son in almost 2 years. Pays his own rent, etc. He works full time and is very respected in his job and the work he does. Most times I don't even verbally speak to my son for months on end- probably heard his voice 6 times in 18 months. A text here and there a few times a week. His girlfriend is the one who left me know he was in the ER twice this past weekend. He reached out to me yesterday telling me it happened again with the nonstop vomiting. Some days it feels like I don't even have a son or a daughter because they don't need me or ask me for advice.

Yes, I am a religious person. I don't get all worked up anymore over my sons choices. I literally just wanted to know if anyone had anyone with the liver enzymes/high functioning liver, etc. and what happened. I see a counselor, go to Bible study, and try to keep active plus work full time.

I will think twice about posting again. I thought this was a place to be able to come to just to find support and ask for advice. Sorry for bothering everyone.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're not bothering anyone as far as I can see hummingbird.
Everyone here who takes time to post to you wants to see you happy and enjoying life

Even if some of us may have experienced similar things, all we can really do here is guess as to your sons ailments and what might be causing them.

I'm glad your son is living independently. Whatever mistakes he makes, as hard as I'm sure they are to watch - they are his, not yours.

D
Old 06-18-2020, 04:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

As many things as my stepson has done to himself, non-stop vomiting has not been one of his health issues (to the best of my knowledge). The only person I know who had that was having a gall-bladder attack. I think that certain foods can trigger an attack, but I don't know what those are. I hope that your son will receive a definite diagnosis soon!
Old 06-18-2020, 05:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
You're not bothering anyone as far as I can see hummingbird.
Everyone here who takes time to post to you wants to see you happy and enjoying life

Even if some of us may have experienced similar things, all we can really do here is guess as to your sons ailments and what might be causing them.

I'm glad your son is living independently. Whatever mistakes he makes, as hard as I'm sure they are to watch - they are his, not yours.

D
From my own experience with my husband who has 10 years in recovery from alcoholism, once he stopped drinking all of his physical ailments resolved themselves. Before that there was a lot of doctors and tests and pills for many ailments....All of that went away.
​​​​​
Old 06-18-2020, 05:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I found this, but perhaps you're one step ahead and read it already: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...6711#treatment

Not much is known about it because in this country, we're in a piecemeal process decriminalizing marijuana.

Our state voted to do so a couple years ago, using the premise that it would be "treated just like alcohol" only to have proponents back-pedal furiously after winning approval. "Oh, it stays in your system so long, it wouldn't be fair to test for this for impaired driving," So, impaired drivers can't really be prosecuted efficiently.

I got tired of people claiming, "It's no worse than alcohol." I wanted to shake them and ask, "Are you unconscious? Do you not see the problems booze causes already?"

So much for it's harmlessness.
Old 06-18-2020, 06:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hummingbird358 View Post
I was just asking for thoughts. I was wondering if anyone else had experience in what he is supposedly diagnosed with.
As for being independent.... he lives across the country- I haven't seen my son in almost 2 years. Pays his own rent, etc. He works full time and is very respected in his job and the work he does. Most times I don't even verbally speak to my son for months on end- probably heard his voice 6 times in 18 months. A text here and there a few times a week. His girlfriend is the one who left me know he was in the ER twice this past weekend. He reached out to me yesterday telling me it happened again with the nonstop vomiting. Some days it feels like I don't even have a son or a daughter because they don't need me or ask me for advice.

Yes, I am a religious person. I don't get all worked up anymore over my sons choices. I literally just wanted to know if anyone had anyone with the liver enzymes/high functioning liver, etc. and what happened. I see a counselor, go to Bible study, and try to keep active plus work full time.

I will think twice about posting again. I thought this was a place to be able to come to just to find support and ask for advice. Sorry for bothering everyone.
you might try out the Newcomers section. It seems to have a mix of people, questions and replies. Looks to be the most active area also. Personally cant answer about the vomiting as it relates to alcohol or weed, but I had an ulcer along with lots of visible GI inflammation and it caused vomiting. Even of bland food.

Old 06-18-2020, 08:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't have any input however I wanted you to know I am here, reading this, supporting you! I am sorry for what brings you here.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

At ER again... . This doctor is finally doing more in depth testing. He feels there is something else causing this than the cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome. Trying to stay calm across the country from him. I thought gall bladder or ulcer. He said he doesn't have any pain though so not sure if sometimes those come with just vomiting and no pain.
We will see.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I didnt have stomach pain. Did have pain radiate to the mid/upper back randomly. Hopefully an Upper GI or some scans will give answers.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Living in the moment

hummingbird

Gentle hugs. I'm really glad you're here. Keep posting if it helps at all. Keep speaking out. In Al-Anon it's often said "take what helps and leave the rest." Sometimes it can be much harder to do that with written words on forums. There is still much to be gained here.