Notices

Anxiety medication and recovery

Old 06-08-2020, 01:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety medication and recovery

I'm thinking about asking for medication for my anxiety. I'm 2 months sober and having pretty bad anxiety (and maybe paws, bad brain fog, nauseous, light-headed).

I'm scared that I'll get addicted to another substance. I'm scared it will make the paws worse. Since quitting drinking I'm less functional than I ever was . (Oh the irony).

I'm at a loss for what to do.

I know you can't give medical recommendations, but any stories of overcoming anxiety after quitting may be helpful. Or success with medication.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Talk to your doctor. There is a non habit forming drug that can help with anxiety called vistaril.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think seeing your doctor is a great idea and talking things through with them. I take anti anxiety meds and have done for years. Very mild prescription but it helps so much. Although my stopping drinking itself reduces anxiety hugely too Most of the anti depressants/anxiety meds are not addictive. The benzos are but they are more prescribed for short term occasional use, in my experience. Please be honest with your doc so they are able to prescribe accordingly and/or refer for therapy.

Many congrats on 2 months
Old 06-08-2020, 02:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Cincy and RAL.

Good to know that they aren't all as addictive as I thought.
Old 06-08-2020, 02:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i don't think they are. I mean I take very low dose citalopram and have for a few years. It takes a while to get into the system and you feel the benefits, but it's not a high feeling or a super immediate relaxed feeling like a benzo which gives an instant hit and is super addictive. It just makes me feel normal. i'm sure your doctor will go through it all with you
Old 06-08-2020, 02:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Seeing your Dr is a good way forward. I presume they know your history so thats a bonus.

I'm on a beta blocker and an old style tricyclic anti depressant - long term for physical reasons on both but they've also have a good effect on my anxiety and periodic depression.

Never felt high, never felt like I wanted to take them, or take more - I still often forget to do so for a day or two (not recommended but just to illustrate I've had no addictive issues)

D

Old 06-08-2020, 03:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I struggled a lot with anxiety in early recovery, and I still do have anxiety. I've learned there are ways to manage your life to help control anxiety. And, there are healthy ways described in the books that follow, to manage anxiety without medication.

Give yourself a grounding moment. You find 5 things you can see, 4 you can touch, 3 you can hear, 2 you can smell, and 1 emotion you feel. This (at least in my case) reminds me that the things around me are concrete and not changing all that much in this very moment so you can feel a little more at peace with your surroundings.

Take a Time-Out. Try some yoga, listen to music, meditate, get a massage or learn relaxation techniques. Stepping back from the problem can help clear your head.Eat well-balanced meals. Do not skip any meals. Keep healthful, energy-boosting snacks on hand. Limit caffeine.

Get enough sleep/rest. Exercise daily to help you feel good and maintain your health. Use an iPod or exercise buddy to help you stick to your routine.

Take deep breaths. Inhale and exhale slowly. Belly-Breathing: Sit comfortably with shoulders, head and neck relaxed. Breath in slowly through your nose so that your stomach expands. Tighten stomach muscles, letting them fall inward as you exhale slowly through your mouth.

Do your best. Instead of aiming for perfection, which isn’t possible, be proud of however close you get.

Accept that you cannot control everything. Put your stress in perspective: Is it really as bad as you think?

Welcome humour. A good laugh goes a long way.

Maintain a positive attitude. Make an effort to replace negative thoughts with positive ones.

Get involved. Volunteer or find another way to be active in your community, which creates a support network and gives you a break from everyday stress.

Learn what triggers your anxiety. Is it work, family, school or something else you can’t identify? Write in a journal when you’re feeling stressed. Look for a pattern.

Talk to someone. Tell friends/family you’re feeling overwhelmed and let them know how they can help. Talk to a professional.

Books

Amen, Daniel Change Your Brain, Change Your Life

Bassett, Lucinda From Panic to Power

Burns, David MD When Panic Attacks

Chodron, Pema The Places that Scare You

Doidge, Norman MD The Brain that Changes Itself

Dyer, Wayne Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life

Orsilla, Ken Mindful Way Through Anxiety
Old 06-08-2020, 03:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was on benzos for a few decades. They are highly addictive and quick to lose their efficacy. You can end up taking them just not to feel bad.
While technically I did not abuse them the long period caused untold problems including a very long taper.

Anti depressants can help with anxiety (most depessed people are also anxious) and the secret is finding one to suit.

Cognitive behavioral therapy (cbt) can help us engage issues more constructively if such is causing anxiety. Of course if the problems relate to the
behaviour of others, well that's another problem.
Old 06-08-2020, 04:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've taken all kinds of Rx medications over the years.

Tricyclics, propranolol, xanax, Buspar, Depakote, Paxil, Adderall, others I can't remember. They all are prescribed for anxiety, brain issues, mood or behavior disorders and depression and they all have serious side effects for me. It's weird how all I have to do is say, "I'm feeling this," [normal human emotion] and doctors will give me a serious medication with no other testing or questioning. Side effects range from weight gain to lethargy to addiction to hallucinations, sleep disturbances, feeling slow and not having any emotions...for years I just didn't care about anything at all. I was so "tamped down" by prescription drugs I couldn't feel much of anything.

I got off all of them before I quit drinking. I just quit. All of them. Then I quit drinking. I was determined to NOT take another prescription and just trade one problem for another.

Yes, early sobriety is full of anxiety - off-the-charts sometimes. But I found other ways to deal with it, as Anna posted above. It took me many months to heal, Mamatembo. Like about 8-9 months and then one day I woke up and thought, "Hm. I remember feeling like this when I was a kid. This must be normal." I felt - peace. It was awesome.

Now my body and mind is working as designed. I exercise and eat well. I get 8-9 hours of sleep.

It took time.

I'm glad - so glad - I didn't take drugs to deal with it.
Old 06-08-2020, 04:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi - I have had problems with anxiety my entire life. Some days I couldn't get out of bed. My doc prescribed Xanax. I only use it when I really need it - if I can't calm myself down naturally. I've never become addicted to it. One drink - I'm off the races, but Xanax isn't addictive for me, but I only use it when I absolutely have to Just my experience - everyone is different.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

There are anti-anxiety meds that aren't like benzos, that are not addictive. Ask your doctor for something that's not habit forming. I am also on a beta blocker (for A fib) but a nice side effect is reducing anxiety. I know some performers use them for stage fright. They slow the heart rate, and in some cases,that helps with anxiety.

Two months sober is great, but still early on. Your feelings/moods may change with more sober time. I hope you can find some relief, either with meds, or therapy, or just time.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by CincyFin View Post
Talk to your doctor. There is a non habit forming drug that can help with anxiety called vistaril.
This is the one I was thinking of but couldn't come up with a name for. I took it for a while when I needed it. Helped a bit and like Cincy said it isn't addictive.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I do take medication for my anxiety/depression and have done a lot of talk therapy - for me it was really important to not only figure out how to deal with my anxiety and depression but to also figure out where it was coming from.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Iv'e heard of people painting a room and not knowing they did it when on xanax. Also sleep walking.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bubovski View Post
Iv'e heard of people painting a room and not knowing they did it when on xanax. Also sleep walking.
I think everyone needs to keep an open mind. Some drugs effect people different than other people. Some drugs are life-savers for some people, some people get addicted. It's unfair to say a drug is terrible because someone had a bad experience. For a lot of people, some drugs are life-savers. I think people shouldn't judge and just post their experience.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Free.

Doctor gave me an SSRI. Seratonin reuptake inhibitor.
Mine is citalopram, not favoured by some. Works well for me. I halved my dosage (with ok from doc) to only 10ml per day. I’m sleepy mid-day, but it totally took away the ‘squirrel cage-ness’ of my racing mind. I’m very grateful for that.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

I was prescribed Gabapentin while in Detox and my psychiatrist has continued me on it. It helps with anxiety and is supposedly good for cutting down cravings. No side effects at all for me except occasional drowsiness. I use it along with meditation, breathing exercises and lots of walking to control my anxiety. My therapist pointed out that anxiety is the body’s flight or fight reaction, so if you get up and move your body it helps a lot. Good luck.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Nathan57 View Post
I think everyone needs to keep an open mind. Some drugs effect people different than other people. Some drugs are life-savers for some people, some people get addicted. It's unfair to say a drug is terrible because someone had a bad experience. For a lot of people, some drugs are life-savers. I think people shouldn't judge and just post their experience.
These threads work best when we recount personal experience for sure.

D
Old 06-08-2020, 11:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TiredCarpenter View Post
Doctor gave me an SSRI. Seratonin reuptake inhibitor.
Mine is citalopram, not favoured by some. Works well for me. I halved my dosage (with ok from doc) to only 10ml per day. I’m sleepy mid-day, but it totally took away the ‘squirrel cage-ness’ of my racing mind. I’m very grateful for that.
That;s what I take TC and I find it works exactly how you describe for me to. Takes away the racing thoughts and constant on edginess.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nathan57 View Post
In my previous post I indicated my long trial and severe problems with the benzodiazepines which include Xanax. I was moved to research these drugs, which replaced the more dangerous barbiturates, and learned of their extreme addictive potential and the withdrawl symptoms which some say is worse than heroin. This backed up my own experience.
It is generally not accepted that benzo addiction is limited to only some people. In the short term, pre addiction, they may well help with stress and anxiety but in the long term this advantage will be lost as the drug uses its efficacy. Many doctors surgeries will not prescribe the benzo sleeper temazepam.
When it comes to the crunch a highly addictive drug, not for just a few but the many, is only of benefit in the short term and beyond this can be "terrible", as a good many have experienced.