Notices

Checking In

Old 06-06-2020, 07:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking In

Hope everyone is staying safe and well during this crazy time!! Sorry I’ve been MIA, dealing with a lot, family member was sick with COVID (thankfully she recovered), I’ve been WFH b/c of COVID and it’s a lot harder to focus and do a good job and my performance has slipped and I’ve been put on a performance improvement plan which is like the last step before firing i believe and I’m super anxious about it and it feels like my life is kinda crumbiling.

I know with everything going on in the world, my PIP isn’t a huge deal in the scheme of things, but it me it feels horrible and I’m disappointed in myself. Sorry I’m rambling, I’m hating myself for the choices I’ve made both professionally and personally lately - haven’t been making good decisions and am kicking myself now. But today is a new day and I’m going to start fresh. I’m going to come up with a plan for my personal life and my professional life and get it together. Anyways, just thought I’d check in with an update. Hope everyone is doing okay!
Old 06-06-2020, 08:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You don't mention your substance use? Have you been drinking or using during lockdown?

I would get really pro-active on the PIP thing - call and ask specifically what they are expecting, how you can implement that, and get it in writing.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you are wise to come up with a plan for the professional and personal aspects of your life.

Try to stay positive and have faith that you will get back on track.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back SendSleep

D
Old 06-06-2020, 06:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
You don't mention your substance use? Have you been drinking or using during lockdown?

I would get really pro-active on the PIP thing - call and ask specifically what they are expecting, how you can implement that, and get it in writing.

I’ve drank during lockdown (my issue is with drugs not drinking) but today I ran into my old dealer while taking a walk and I hate myself for Using with him and I hate myself on many levels and I won’t sleep tonight.

Thank you!!! I’m going to reply to the PIP email Monday and implement my own strategy and plan and get the PIP in writing. I want to improve but they are using this as a way to get me fired. I’ve been a good employee (have emails to prove it praising my work) but I know I can work on things (being more confident on client calls) and I’m determined to improve and show my progress. Do you have any suggestions for managing the PIP? Thank you again for the help!
Old 06-06-2020, 06:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I think you are wise to come up with a plan for the professional and personal aspects of your life.

Try to stay positive and have faith that you will get back on track.

thank you!! I’m trying in both personal and professional life and I’ve used and drank and I hate myself but tomorrow is day 1. I’m going to get back on track with both. Thank you for the encouragement. I hope you are well!
Old 06-06-2020, 06:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Some personal self talk first thing in the morning may help.
Especially re triggers and how to guard against them.
I use this strategy re alcohol.
Good luck!
Old 06-06-2020, 07:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome back SendSleep.

What is PIP? There's a UK disability benefit of that name (Personal Independence Payment) but I'm assuming that's not what you mean?
Old 06-06-2020, 11:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Free.

Robbie I’ve arrived at performance improvement plan, not sure.
What the bleep is WFH?

When did we enter undefined acronym land?
Old 06-06-2020, 11:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

SWAG - Scientific Wild Ass Guess. WFH - Work From Home. Maybe?
Old 06-07-2020, 12:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think it is performance improvement plan-something at work when performance is not as expected. I think it is pretty cruel of your employers to put you on a PIP when we are in lockdown and working from home (WFH) when we are all under real pressure. I was working from home for a month at the start of lockdown and it is not easy at all. I went back to work last week and felt very slow and underperformed too after 3 months off.

Unless the PIP is related to your drug use - I don't know. All I know is that to improve at work I have to stay sober and sure this will be the same for you too. Everything else will fall into place once we stay sober. Wishing you well.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
Welcome back SendSleep.

What is PIP? There's a UK disability benefit of that name (Personal Independence Payment) but I'm assuming that's not what you mean?
Thanks! Feels good to be back a PIP is a performance improvement plan which is used when your performance isn’t up to standards and is usually used when your trying to build a case for firing someone.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TiredCarpenter View Post
Robbie I’ve arrived at performance improvement plan, not sure.
What the bleep is WFH?

When did we enter undefined acronym land?
sorry - PIP is a performance improvement plan and WFH is work from home
Old 06-07-2020, 07:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by C0ntr0ls View Post
SWAG - Scientific Wild Ass Guess. WFH - Work From Home. Maybe?
love it! And yes WFH=work from home. Sorry I wasn’t clear
Old 06-07-2020, 07:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
I think it is performance improvement plan-something at work when performance is not as expected. I think it is pretty cruel of your employers to put you on a PIP when we are in lockdown and working from home (WFH) when we are all under real pressure. I was working from home for a month at the start of lockdown and it is not easy at all. I went back to work last week and felt very slow and underperformed too after 3 months off.

Unless the PIP is related to your drug use - I don't know. All I know is that to improve at work I have to stay sober and sure this will be the same for you too. Everything else will fall into place once we stay sober. Wishing you well.
yes, it is a performance improvement plan (PIP) sorry I wasn’t clear. I agree it is cruel of my employer to do do that during lock down/ working from home (WFH) with everything going on. I’m really struggling with working from home as it’s so different than the office, A family member outside, thankfully she recovered but it’s been a lot. I’ve expressed that to my employer but they didn’t seem to care.

The PIP isn’t related to my drug use, it’s related to my performance since COVID lockdown/WFH started. You were right now saying sober is the best I can do to improve myself and save my job. I need to remind myself that addy won’t help me do my job better, and I can’t “just do a little”. I’m a better employee when I’m sober and being/staying sober is the only way to improve my work performance. I’m also going to start looking for another job since I feel to grow my employer to do this to me with everything going on in the world and in my personal life. I hope you are doing well!
Old 06-07-2020, 07:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bubovski View Post
Some personal self talk first thing in the morning may help.
Especially re triggers and how to guard against them.
I use this strategy re alcohol.
Good luck!
thank you! I will try that this morning. It’s been a tough one - I’m just exhausted mentally and physically at the moment. But going to keep pushing through!
Old 06-07-2020, 07:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Don't worry about the acronym confusion, you made it very clear in your first post - - - I thought, anyway.

I would make a firm plan about what to do when you run into your dealer. He/she wants you to stay hooked, the last thing they want to hear is, "I'm trying to quit." It's just about money, he's not looking out for your best interest and he won't care if you die or lose your job.

If you have a general confidence issue as you alluded to, I think it would be wise to come up with firm boundaries with this dealer and anyone else who you use drugs with. It's going to have to be a no-contact thing for a while, I would think. I would practice saying, "I don't have time right now." Say it breezily and keep walking!
Old 06-07-2020, 07:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome back SendSleep

D
Thanks Dee feels good to be back! I’m exhausted this morning after no sleep but pushing through. How are you doing? I hope you’ve been okay during this crazy time!
Old 06-07-2020, 07:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Don't worry about the acronym confusion, you made it very clear in your first post - - - I thought, anyway.

I would make a firm plan about what to do when you run into your dealer. He/she wants you to stay hooked, the last thing they want to hear is, "I'm trying to quit." It's just about money, he's not looking out for your best interest and he won't care if you die or lose your job.

If you have a general confidence issue as you alluded to, I think it would be wise to come up with firm boundaries with this dealer and anyone else who you use drugs with. It's going to have to be a no-contact thing for a while, I would think. I would practice saying, "I don't have time right now." Say it breezily and keep walking!
My brain was a little fried yesterday so I worried I didn’t make sense lol.

thank you! That’s a great idea and i’m going to practice saying it so I’m prepared If I run into him again. I’m also going to go no contact with your grade since I think that’s the best way if I run into him again. I’m also going to go no contact as suggested since I think that’s the best way for me to avoid temptation. he’s also one of my party friends so I feel loyal to them but you’re right he doesn’t care about me and it’s in his best interest if I don’t quit, he’s not actually looking out for me. Thank you for the help and suggestions I’m going to practicing and build up my confidence so If I run into again I can easily say “I don’t have time” easily and with confidence and walk away! That’s the hardest part is walking away. I have sober friends I can call, I just didn’t that time because the temptation was so strong and I thought it would help with my personal issues (it didn’t). It’s time to go no contact, is for the best. Thank you! I hope you’re doing okay during this time!
Old 06-07-2020, 04:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah I used to think my dealer (pot) was my mate - but really his main aim was to keep me hooked.
Avoid him where possible, make a plan if for any reason you can't.

D