Notices

Not drinking, but close to it

Old 06-05-2020, 10:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not drinking, but close to it

I live in Minneapolis, MN where the ****storm started. I'm beaten down and haven't done a thing. I'm mentally exhausted. I find myself sleeping during the day and watching riots all night. I consider myself a tough guy, I try to be positive most of the time. I'm at the end of my rope, and soon might literally be at the end of a rope. Its just really hard. Must survive this.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Getting drunk right now or drinking seems like small potatoes in the grand scheme of things. That's my 2 cents.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you posted, Jeff.

Maybe, try turning off the TV for a while. I only watch enough to get what is needed and then turn it off or head to a safe channel like a National Geographic or HGTV (no foul language, no human violence, and all ends well - well at least on HGTV - nature isn’t always peaceful). It is so easy to get news overload, especially when the news is traumatic as it has been lately.

If there is any alcohol, remove it or have it removed. Take a walk. Cook a great meal. Have ice cream. Do positive things.

Above all, stay close to us.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Getting drunk right now or drinking seems like small potatoes in the grand scheme of things. That's my 2 cents.

Just read this - please stop drinking, Jeff. Cut your losses by pouring it out, all of it.

Drinking is NOT small potatoes. It hurts YOU.

Maybe I am reading your post incorrectly; really hope so.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Turn off your TV. There are human dramas all around me but I cannot change what other people are doing when they lose their minds. I can be a force for good - but not if I'm drinking.

It will end.

Do you remember the sixties?

The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty.
~Proverbs 22:3
Old 06-05-2020, 10:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, please don't pick up. It isn't going to help or make anything better. I stopped watching the news about Covid a few weeks ago as it was making me anxious and depressed. Maybe switch off for a while.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Just read this - please stop drinking, Jeff. Cut your losses by pouring it out, all of it.

Drinking is NOT small potatoes. It hurts YOU.
I'm not drinking Soberleigh, my wife and I got fresh haircuts today since the shops are open and are having our taxes done. I'm just grumpy and pissed. That's all.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank goodness. I just modified my post before reading this.

I envy you the haircuts. I just bought hair shears to try cutting my own bangs to avoid the salon. Fingers crossed.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Hi, please don't pick up. It isn't going to help or make anything better. I stopped watching the news about Covid a few weeks ago as it was making me anxious and depressed. Maybe switch off for a while.
Great reply. I as well stopped watching the news a few weeks back. It is out of my control. I need to focus on what I can control and NOT DRINKING is the main one. I don't need any extra drama, strain, whatever right now. I am only 9 days in to soberity.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't know if you remember me, but I remember you. We spoke a couple times...we're both from Minnesota. I know how stressful everything seems lately, but don't throw your sobriety away. Things will get better in the world, even if it may take awhile. Try to see the good in each day and focus on the things that make you happy.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Jeff, there will always be reasons to drink. Glad you posted, but ultimately the daily choice for sobriety should not be negotiable for any reason if you don't want to implode your life.

Things can get a whole lot worse for you personally, and for your wife personally, should you choose to pick up for any reason, however valid.

You gotta get strong with this and quit leaving cracks in the door of your sobriety. What's going on is terrible, and drinking will only make you feel worse and do nothing to help the external situation you are triggering from.

I know you know this, and consider this a kindly reminder of doing the next right thing in any circumstance--the only way out is through.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hugs to you, Thomas! These are truly hard times, for sure. I feel overwhelmed by it, too. But, drinking would be huge in the scheme of things. This is hard to deal with sober, drinking it would be a nightmare.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jeff, these are really stressful and sad times for most of us. And, I'm sure it must be tough being in Minneapolis, but you know you can get through this.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
nez

I'm just grumpy and pissed. That's all.
Grumpy and pissed will pass. When it does pass, by not drinking and staying sober, you will discover that you have more strength than you give yourself credit for. You will survive this. No one is positive all the time, but you try to be most of the time, so keep focusing on being positive, even when you don't feel like it, because this too shall pass and you positively know you will like remaining sober far better than if you drink.

You got this Jeff. It may be hard, but we know hard and we know ugly even better.

Old 06-05-2020, 01:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I normally shut down during times like this and turn to comfort food and exercise. This time its not working quite as well as it usually does. I have a friend who trains dogs in Montana, its a 12 drive but its at the foot hills of the rocky mountains. Thinking about going to see him for a week. My wife can go see her mom in LA. Might be a good move for both of us.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Stay with it. Shut down the news channels. Eat something full of sugar. Hunker down and watch something fun and mindless.

You’ll be no good to help our societies all come back together and heal the divisions if you’re drunk.

Thinking of you. Sometimes, Temporary “head in the sand” approach keeps us safe.

x
Old 06-05-2020, 02:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have basically been hiding in a shell since May 25, 2015. I got hurt and never returned to "normal". I am putting that behind me starting tomorrow. I'm not a spring chicken, but I'm too young to just sit around and wait to die. I am going to do something new with my life and I don't even know what that is yet. I'm not a wallflower. I'm a human being, and very able bodied one at that.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Like others, glad you posted before that drink. I think spring chickens are overrated anyhow.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
AA Member

The Problem: Thinking about ourselves too much
The Solution: Thinking about ourselves less and each other more
The Action: Being of Maximum Service and helping others any way we can

PS: I don't make this ****up .... it's basic AA 101

Old 06-05-2020, 03:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
I have basically been hiding in a shell since May 25, 2015. I got hurt and never returned to "normal". I am putting that behind me starting tomorrow. I'm not a spring chicken, but I'm too young to just sit around and wait to die. I am going to do something new with my life and I don't even know what that is yet. I'm not a wallflower. I'm a human being, and very able bodied one at that.
Why not do something about it today?