Notices

1 week

Old 06-03-2020, 11:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1 week

Well, I'm not sure if I really belong here, but I do know that I don't exactly have a healthy relationship with alcohol. I'm only 25 so I question if I'm just doing the "going through my 20s" type of drinking. At the same time, I know a lot of my habits are not normal. I had people over at my place a week ago and had this moment of clarity. I've had a lot of family drama going on right now and, in being open about it, I realized that these people I've been hanging out with don't really know me at all. I feel heartbroken over realizing that I don't know what it's like to forge deep bonds with people outside of my family. I feel like this revelation is that I want real friends and not just coworkers that I frequent happy hours with. I want to be done with only giving myself permission to be me and feel my feelings once I've binged on a box of wine. I've got some serious self reflection to do and there's so much more that I want out of life. I'm tired of dulling it all. I know this won't fix everything and I have no idea how serious my drinking is or not, but I do know that choosing sobriety, at the very least, can't hurt to try.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome and Congrats on a weeeek!
I'm of the belief, if you are wondering/question you and the drink, it might be an issue. I did for years as did a lot of people around me that I lost when I dismissed it as an issue.
That's just an opinion from an old fart wishing I had paid more attention early on and I may have not lost soooo much.
Good Luck!
Old 06-04-2020, 12:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi JustPeachy

We don't lock the doors here. Stick around and make up your own mind whether you belong here or not.

D
Old 06-04-2020, 01:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by C0ntr0ls View Post
Welcome and Congrats on a weeeek!
I'm of the belief, if you are wondering/question you and the drink, it might be an issue. I did for years as did a lot of people around me that I lost when I dismissed it as an issue.
That's just an opinion from an old fart wishing I had paid more attention early on and I may have not lost soooo much.
Good Luck!

my thoughts exactly....wish I had the courage or knowledge to address mine back in my 20’s...would have saved me so much trouble in life ....best of luck JustPeachy
Old 06-04-2020, 02:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Best thing ever. Allowing ourselves to be (authentic) without having to "binge on a box of wine." The best!

Welcome, JustPeachy.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
vkf

Nice!!!! Good job on the week. Wish I would have figured crap out in my 20's. Would have saved me 20 years of up and down rollercoaster rides. Only you can decide if you have an issue but I would look at the fact you think you may. That is a red flag in my head that I ignored for years.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard justpeachy.

Coming here and talking about things, and reading other people's posts as they talk about things, has been, and continues to be, enormously helpful.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on one week.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you, JustPeachy.

I had similar thoughts (like Hewson) in my 20's. Unfortunately, I didn't do what you're doing - take a cold, hard look at what my drinking was doing to my life. So I kept going, trying to manage it so I didn't have to give it up completely. The end result was a life in ruins as a much older person. I never imagined I could be so reckless. You've done a good thing by coming here to talk it over. We're glad to have you!
Old 06-04-2020, 01:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You’ll never regret getting sober and living a life in recovery.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
AA Member

Old 06-04-2020, 03:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome, JP, I too did the same thing in my 20's, then it turned into my 30's, 40's, 50's ow 60's. I now need to learn how to socialize sober. I wish that I would have realized what I was doing to my mind & body in my 20's. Do it before you are in too deep.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and I think it's great that you want to make some major changes in your life. I hope you decide to stay around and I think you'll find that giving up alcohol has many benefits.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on beginning your second week sober! I'm about to mark 10 and a half years and I can honestly say, I don't regret giving it up. My life is so much better now, and I go to sleep, and wake up, feeling good. Read around the forum. Lots of different approaches to sobriety. I hope our support and collective wisdom can help you get sober for good.