Notices

10 Months - I'm not in a celebratory mood

Old 06-03-2020, 06:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

10 Months - I'm not in a celebratory mood

Holy Crap!

My main priority is my sobriety - plain and simple. Doing early sobriety during a pandemic has certainly complicated things. And this past week, I've been out peacefully protesting in my city of Minneapolis. I was on the 35w bridge when the semi rolled in.....it appears that was an accident, which doesn't make it any less scary. Mpls is heartbroken right now, and so is the entire country really.

Somehow through this, I've stayed sober. As horrific as these last few days have been, it's really taken me out of myself. While my sobriety is important to me and my family, it doesn't compare or matter at all in the grand scheme of things. Fighting for systemic change is so much bigger and so much more important. Me staying sober - simple, don't pick up a drink. Combating generations of racism that are effecting my community - not simple.

So I find it hard to celebrate my 10 months. I'd like to do it at an AA meeting, and hug those I've grown close to. I'd love to celebrate by getting on the ice and skating all day, and then going for dinner at one of my favorite restaurants. But none of that is possible - and while that could make me sad, it's just trivial compared to everything going on around me.

I'm taking things one day at a time. I have no desire to drink, but one day at a time works in so many situations.

One of my dearest friends has been battling cancer for over 3 years. Everytime she thinks it's gone, it comes back stronger. She's done countless rounds of chemo and radiation, and had a stem cell transplant. 1 week ago she found out it's back, and with a vengeance again, and she's running out of options. She has trouble seeing due to a tumor on her optic nerve, and constant pain due to a tumor in her back - we walked together protesting on Sunday. My challenges and weaknesses are just so petty.

Stay well everyone! And to those on this forum that are POC, I hear you, you matter, and I'm listening.

Donny :-)
Old 06-03-2020, 04:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A really terrific post Donny. My thinking has taken similar turns, and I thank you. 😊

It's really good how sobriety makes the big picture become so clear.

Stay safe Donny, and well done.

Old 06-03-2020, 10:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Totally agree that a horrible disease like cancer should not be compared to alcoholism.

I have a disease that makes me want to drink a liquid that gets me euphoric and then sleepy and lazy?

If i don't drink, I crave and have anxiety/paranoia for a while and then I get stronger?

The longer I go without drinking booze, the more healthy I become?

The longer I drink booze the sicker I get?

Prayers to those with cancer and prayers to those that can't overcome their addiction problem.

Love and Thanks.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 10 months Donny. I get that things are rough right now, but I hope you can take a moment or two to appreciate the achievement.
I could not be as engaged in my life and my community as I am if I was drinking.

D
Old 06-04-2020, 08:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

You could try working the steps for now