Notices

Another DUI

Old 06-01-2020, 02:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another DUI

Got another dui....May lose my job. Need to find help and stick to sobriety.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Hewson

sticking to sobriety is a great way to go - no more DUIs for sure, but way more benefits than that

D
Old 06-01-2020, 02:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just hope I can get through this

Next few months are going to be hell...but I want to get help
Old 06-01-2020, 04:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have one DUI. I haven't got a 2nd one because I never bothered to get my license back. I was supposed to attend classes on the weekend as part of the process but the DUI was just the beginning of my slide into full-blown alcoholism. I was drunk all weekend and there was no way I was attending that class. Probably the only way alcohol benefited me since I am sure I would have driven drunk again if I had gotten my license back.

I am not sure what the laws are where you live but I know that they vary wildly from state to state, province to province, country to country.
Consult a lawyer as soon as possible if you haven't already. There had been many people on this forum with multiple DUI's. A member actually had a 3rd DUI not too long ago.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This will be my third since 2014...getting a lawyer but know I will need to do some jail time. Just trying to get help/treatment and keep my job
Old 06-01-2020, 04:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You never need to suffer ever again from DUI’s, blackouts, shame, guilt, anxiety, remorse, hopelessness that alcohol brings. The solution? Stay sober one day at a time. There is tons of help out there to make this doable and it can be done as many here on SR and elsewhere demonstrate.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree....just can’t believe it got this bad and wasted most my adult life. I know I can’t change the past and shouldn’t dwell on it. Gonna try and make appointment for local treatment center today.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've heard of AA members who relapsed locally (in Ireland) who voluntarily surrender their car keys to their local police station to prevent them from drink driving. Apparently some police will accept a voluntary arrangement whereby they hold onto an alcoholic's car keys by agreement. I don't know if that's something you might consider, plus treatment?
Old 06-01-2020, 05:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Get well sir. Of course the correct answer is quit drinking and never drink and drive. But sometimes it happens for whatever reason. Quitting is easier said than done.

The only reason I never got a DUI is because I live in a huge city where the cops are busy with criminals or whatever.

In my city they periodically have DUI check points, but no cherry picking. The only way to get a DUI is to crash.

Keepntrykng to quit, but If you can't stop I'd suggest moving to a big city and doing your research on cherry picking hotspots.

But, quitting is the best obviously.

Thanks.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post

The only reason I never got a DUI is because I live in a huge city where the cops are busy with criminals or whatever.

In my city they periodically have DUI check points, but no cherry picking. The only way to get a DUI is to crash.
So do I but my drink driving was so bad in my twenties that I got caught anyway. It became a statistical certainty. No crash, just a random checkpoint. Stopped drink driving but drank for another 20 years.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hewson, it's never too late to turn things around.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hewson, I'm sorry this happened, but know for sure that you can make changes in your life. For now the best thing you can do now is to put your sobriety first and get involved in a recovery program that will work for you. You will show the court that you are making changes in your life, and you will be better able to deal with the issues you'll be involved in during the next few months.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Hewson - I'm glad you wanted to discuss what's going on. I'm sorry for the pain this is causing you, but if it leads to lasting sobriety it'll be worth it. I've been through the dui nightmare too. I drank 30 yrs. & was completely dependent on it - but I got free. You can too. We are with you.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

The day I got my 3rd DUI was the last day I drank - almost five and a half years ago. I got into an outpatient treatment program, and started going to AA within a few days of that. In my county there's a diversionary program I got into that cut my actual jail time down to 14 days, but I had house arrest for another 45, and lost my license except to go to work and the grocery store and take my kid places he needed to go for a year, and had an interlock device for 2 and a half years. I had to give myself breathalyzer tests several times a day for a while, too. All of it was expensive and painful. And rightfully so. And I am vey grateful it all happened. It was the wake-up call I needed to turn my life around. I feel better and happier than ever in my life. It's never too late, and you can do it.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Got fired from job today.....totally spiraling out of control....
Old 06-01-2020, 01:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Hewson

Ii’m sorry you got fired, but you.re at a crossroads now...you can keep on drinking & make things even worse (and believe me they can be) ....or you can commit to staying sober and rebuilding your life.

take the second choice man

D
Old 06-01-2020, 02:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Going to see lawyer tomorrow and schedule appointment for rehab center....don’t know what it will cost.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sortofhomecomin View Post
I've heard of AA members who relapsed locally (in Ireland) who voluntarily surrender their car keys to their local police station to prevent them from drink driving. Apparently some police will accept a voluntary arrangement whereby they hold onto an alcoholic's car keys by agreement. I don't know if that's something you might consider, plus treatment?
I voluntarily installed, and still have, a breathalyzer in my truck. Until my sobriety is solid, it's better to spend the $60/month for peace of mind.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hewson1974 View Post
Got fired from job today.....totally spiraling out of control....
Good luck or bad luck? Suddenly you have an immense amount of time to dedicate to recovery. If you drink anything like I did, than you probably weren't long for that job anyway. The way I drank, no relationship, no job, no home, no car can last. I destroy all.

By the way, I've had 4 DUIs. You can come back from it. How bad do you want change?
Old 06-01-2020, 04:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I’m just down....don’t know how I’m going to find another job.