Notices

Down the rabbit hole

Old 05-31-2020, 12:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Down the rabbit hole

I always think about this late at night because it blows my mind, but no matter how I try to spin it, my entire adult life has revolved around booze almost 24/7.

Wasted time, opportunities and relationships destroyed make me the most depressed, but also how my morals completely flew out the window when I was loaded.

I used to think I was a good person, but my track record proves otherwise. I really struggle with this. Can anyone else relate?

Old 05-31-2020, 12:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, 100% can relate. But, it's never too late to turn things around and not go down the rabbit hole even further....
Old 05-31-2020, 12:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PuckLuck View Post
I always think about this late at night because it blows my mind, but no matter how I try to spin it, my entire adult life has revolved around booze almost 24/7.

Wasted time, opportunities and relationships destroyed make me the most depressed, but also how my morals completely flew out the window when I was loaded.

I used to think I was a good person, but my track record proves otherwise. I really struggle with this. Can anyone else relate?
Umm, so..... yes! Exactly. To a tee. Alcohol is all consuming. ALL CONSUMING. For me, if alcohol has any part in my life, it has every part. Nothing survives. Scorched earth. I am not exaggerating a single bit. Nightmare.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

100%. I get really down about the lost time. I only pissed away 6 years or so but it still sucks. I caused a lot of pain and did things I generally find reprehensible. It’s hard to reconcile. I actually find a lot of peace in recovery for that reason, though. Like, if i’m Not wasted I can explore and live my values, and that seems like really rewarding work. I really like the framework of radically accepting that my behaviors got in the way of my better angels and that I can choose to do differently with a lot of work and support.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back puckluck

I think most of us can relate.
The thing is - change is always possible.

I drank hard for about 20 years...I’ve been sober for 13, and I’ve tried to do a lot of good worthwhile things with my time in recovery.

It’s never too late to start a chapter 2.

D
Old 05-31-2020, 01:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Definitely, PuckLuck. As my dependency grew over the years, I turned into a bizarre version of my actual self. I cringe when I look back now. I realize, though - that wasn't me.

Horrifying as our behavior may have been - visiting the past can be very damaging & defeating. Acknowledging it for the sake of vowing to never go back there is fine, but don't dwell. I found the dread & remorse regarding the past almost led me back to drinking. That reckless person wasn't you PuckLuck.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by prettiekittie View Post
100%. I get really down about the lost time. I only pissed away 6 years or so but it still sucks. I caused a lot of pain and did things I generally find reprehensible. It’s hard to reconcile. I actually find a lot of peace in recovery for that reason, though. Like, if i’m Not wasted I can explore and live my values, and that seems like really rewarding work. I really like the framework of radically accepting that my behaviors got in the way of my better angels and that I can choose to do differently with a lot of work and support.
So true. It is very rewarding work. Hope I make it back to where you are at.

When I had 6 months of sobriety I was very engaged and connected. Wish I would have stayed in that mindset. For whatever reason my demons came roaring back and I started thinking I knew best. I dont know a damn thing.

Much older now, but I somehow managed to graduate college even though I was a roaring drunk. I'd always have a bottle of whatever in my bookbag coming home from class. I thought I was being successful.

I managed to to get the job but that's when the wasted time really begin. Eventually being fired not for drinking, but it had to be. I was hungover everyday going into the office.

After that it was just another disaster after another. I thought I was so slick fooling people.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah, I think a lot more people knew about my drinking than I thought. It’s perplexing though because my husband had no clue. He must have just thought I was a hot mess.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had a hard time coming to terms with time I'd wasted. Maya Angelou's quote helped me, "I did then what I knew how to do. Now I know better, I do better". Simple but profound.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome back puckluck

I think most of us can relate.
The thing is - change is always possible.

I drank hard for about 20 years...I’ve been sober for 13, and I’ve tried to do a lot of good worthwhile things with my time in recovery.

It’s never too late to start a chapter 2.

D
Thanks! Just getting ready to fight the demon of withdrawal
Old 05-31-2020, 02:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're not alone - you can do this

D
Old 05-31-2020, 02:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good luck PuckLuck!

I was a long term drunk and not drinking for a few weeks let alone quitting for good seemed impossible but I got so low that it was either get sober or die soon as a drunk. It is hard to begin with but you just have to hold on to the fact that it gets MUCH easier in time, for me that was between 40 and 50 days but I was 54 when I quit and I didn't realise things had got easier for some time after that (it's hard to explain) Anyway, you can do it and the boost it will give to your self respect helps deal with those other aspects of our damaged lives.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Good luck PuckLuck!

I was a long term drunk and not drinking for a few weeks let alone quitting for good seemed impossible but I got so low that it was either get sober or die soon as a drunk. It is hard to begin with but you just have to hold on to the fact that it gets MUCH easier in time, for me that was between 40 and 50 days but I was 54 when I quit and I didn't realise things had got easier for some time after that (it's hard to explain) Anyway, you can do it and the boost it will give to your self respect helps deal with those other aspects of our damaged lives.
Thank you very much. I remember one night on an alcoholic meth binge. It brings out demons
Old 05-31-2020, 05:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.

Never got into meth but alcohol would make me crave crack cocaine which would make me crave opiates or heroin.

We cant change whats happened but we can learn and grow from it and hopefully go on to help others. We didn't necessarily want to choose this path but here we are. Let's try and go in the right direction from here.

Old 05-31-2020, 07:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Dude, that post could have been describing me.
Every little facet of my life had something to do with getting drunk or planning to.

I quit and failed so many times I’ve lost count. I have whined about wanting to stop (wanting to want to stop?) drinking to so many people it became a running joke with family and friends.

You can do this. You really can.