Notices

Day 1

Old 05-29-2020, 06:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Alcohol has been part of my life, in some form, since I was probably 12. My dad was a functional alcoholic. My grandfather (who I never met) was an entirely non-functional one and died many years before I was born. I'm ready to get off this bus and get one a better one.

Anybody else out there on Day 1?
Old 05-29-2020, 07:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm not on day one now, but I was, 10 yrs ago. You've come to a great place for support and advice. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2020, 07:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It runs in my family too BC. Men on my dad's side. My Dad, too. I seem to be the only woman. Yaaaaay.

I'm not on Day 1, I'm moving towards 6 months. Yaaaaay!

This is a much better bus BC. The wheels don't fall off.

Come here, and share your story. Lots of good listeners.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am on Day 5. I also have alcoholics in my family. My mother recently passed away indirectly because of her drinking. She had an auto-immune disorder that was very treatable, but part of the treatment involved giving up alcohol entirely. She continued to drink and her health deteriorated until she just wasted away. I am determined not to follow in her footsteps.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you are choosing sobriety. You will find lots of support here.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! It is good to be here. I know this will be hard, but I also know that I need to be more serious about prioritizing my recovery and piling on supports to help it stick.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Cactus!

The first few days are the hardest, so stick close to us. Read around and post often--it works if you work it! Here's a few good threads to join:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post7452824 (24 Hour Recovery Connections Part 487)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ne-2020-a.html (If this weekend was like others - Weekenders 29 May - 01 June 2020)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-4-a.html (Class of May 2020 Part 4)
Old 05-29-2020, 09:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

We all started on a day 1. Best of luck.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you, BC - you found an encouraging place. You never have to feel alone.
I was filled with anxiety & dread when I first came here. I gradually found the courage to change my life. Knowing everyone understood what I was going through made all the difference. My family & friends had no idea what dependency was, or how to help. You'll have some rough days as you get used to a new way of life, but you can do it - and you'll be free.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you Hevyn! Yeah, I've got some of the "don't know how to help" thing going on. Not that it is anybody's RESPONSIBILITY to help, but my wife is very conflict averse and I think does her best to pretend there is not a problem to keep a lid on things. Just like me, in fact. I am annoyed that I'm good enough at being a drunk that I can skirt along on the fringes of just-about-non-functional but not. Like, I've got this down to a science. I cook at the meals, clean the house, take care of the kids. My wife works a lot and we take walks in the morning.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm on day 12 after 3 years of relapse rinse repeat. Good for you making the choice to quit and be happy. There are loads of us in the early days. Happy to help any way I can
Old 05-29-2020, 12:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Gabe1980 - I saw a post of yours from earlier. Let's hang in there. Likewise, happy to help any way I can.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Free.

BarrelCactus: there IS a better way to live!

This disease (alcoholism) will kill me if I do nothing about it.

THE GOOD NEWS: Sobriety can be had. It can be accomplished, and it can be kept.

You’ll find so much caring support here at SR from people who(m) are doing just that.

I’m so grateful for the support here. Being genuine and sharing here has made a WORLD of difference for me.

Glad you’ve joined us. Best to you on your journey!
Post often. Stick with us!
Old 05-29-2020, 04:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Barrel Cactus

D
Old 05-29-2020, 07:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hi BarrelCactus,

I'm on about my 1000th Day 1, but this time it's my 121st consecutive Day 1!

It really does help me to do this one day, even one moment at a time. When it sunk in that the only time I have any control over is now, and that it is always literally "now," it made it a lot easier to not drink now.

I used to wake up in the morning as an expert lush thinking, "Oh God, I have to do this All Over Again." It's horrible, that place you describe, getting by, making it work, feeling like a failure every day. I strung that out long enough to amaze even my therapist.

Now I wake up most mornings without an alarm, and I just do the things. Life is pretty mundane but it's also not horrible. I'm facing the feelings I didn't want to have, and while that's no picnic, I'm proud of myself for doing every bit of the work I'm doing - the paid stuff as well as the internal stuff.

No amount of booze can ever come close to replacing that feeling.

I'm glad you're here. It's a good place.

O
Old 05-29-2020, 09:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I think there is something about the virtual support this place offers that helped me keep from relapsing so far.

The moderators are always around when we need them or not and folks like me pop in almost daily or several times a day and offer our two cents.

This place saved my life. In a world where almost nobody really cares if I drink my brains to polookaville, SR really really does.

Somebody posted about the book the Naked Mind. I found a bunch of videos, i think by the author, on youtube. I listen to them laying in bed. Excellent for an addict like me.

Thanks.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Alcohol is part of my family lineage too, BC. We can stop it.

I'm on day 57. You can do this. We can do this.