Notices

Newcomer

Old 05-20-2020, 03:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer

Hi

This is my first post. Starting on day 1 of my recovery yet again after countless attempts... hopefully this time I don’t go back. I am Always quick to forget how bad the drink makes me feel and how bad the consequences of drinking are. It will never change. Thought I would join the forum as it’s something new to try and beat this.

Cheers

Recovery417
Old 05-20-2020, 03:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 05-20-2020, 03:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Coz

Welcome Recovery!

Lots of support, encouragement and advice here on SR. You sound well practised at day 1's, so great that you have joined here to make this time a success.

Read lots and post often. You can make it this time!
Old 05-20-2020, 03:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to SR.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Recovery417

What kinds of things have you tried in the past to try and stay sober?

D
Old 05-20-2020, 03:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 05-20-2020, 04:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Replace "It will never change" with "I am going to do whatever it takes to change this".
Old 05-20-2020, 04:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR
Old 05-20-2020, 05:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is a good place to be Recovery417. What have been your past approaches to trying to quit? Have you sought any medical advice or in-person support? Sounds like besides being here in SR, you need to branch out and seek help from other quarters.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice and support guys.

I have just about tried everything to stay sober I have been for various types of counselling in the past , have had some medical assistance and have been in and out AA for the last year ,I do have a really good support round me the problem is that it’s me that has to make the change no one can change it for me I can get sober from between 5-7days at a time then I fall back into drinking again. It really has to stick this time as I am running out of chances in all aspects of life... it’s just going from bad to worse. Going to read and post on SR as much as possible and hopefully that will act as another tool to pull me through this.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good morning Recovery417. I am on day one again, too. I feel like you do only I usually only make it to day three before I just give right in and drink. I drank half of a bottle of vodka last night. I am glad I don't have a hang over this morning but I feel so sad when I should feel good. The trees are blooming and the are that beautiful shade of spring green that I like. The sky is a deep blue and the air is chilly. I love that but I can't enjoy it the way I want to because I have alcohol induced depression. Do you get depressed after you drink? Anyway, I just wanted you to know I am looking forward to your posts mostly because I am on day one as well and trying an online forum for the first time. I will be here on and off all day and I will look for any posts you make.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Recovery417 if you have indeed tried everything there is to try, and you worked those programs hard, took counselling seriously and really tried to figure out WHY you drink, fulsomely participated in AA and vigorously worked the steps, took medical advice to heart and took advantage of the good support around you in your personal life, I am skeptical that SR and a few other new tools will change much. I think you hit the nail on the head that at this point, it really is up to you wanting to quit and finding the strength to do it.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 05-20-2020, 06:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, glad to have you on board.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes I can relate to that I get very bad depression and anxiety especially after a heavy session to the point were I can’t even get out of bed ( that fear and sense of doom) When I stop drinking all these feelings start to lift and as soon as I start to feel good about myself again then that seems to be when I pick up a drink. Just going round in circles and have been for years. Time to break this cycle and really put in the work this time to get sober one day at a time. Good luck on your journey Doggiefriend
Old 05-20-2020, 07:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and yes this forum is a good resource in helping to maintain your sobriety.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
nez

have been in and out AA for the last year…I can get sober from between 5-7days at a time then I fall back into drinking again… I get very bad depression and anxiety especially after a heavy session...that fear and sense of doom..When I stop drinking all these feelings start to lift...as soon as I start to feel good about myself again then that seems to be when I pick up a drink.
That was me except I was in and out of AA for 3 years, not 1. Come in broken, start to get better, and back out again. It was a cycle of pure hell for 3 years!!!

I needed to get rid of any ideas that I was fixed/cured. I needed to get rid of any ideas that drinking was a reward. I needed to get rid of any ideas that "I got this". I needed to embrace the fact that I was an alcoholic. That any amount of alcohol was always going to turn into a large amount of alcohol. I needed to embrace the fact that there was a solution available to me.

When I did that my freedom started. Today I am free to not drink. Today I don't need to drink. Today I have no reason to drink because all of my old ideas and reasons for drinking have been smashed. Alcohol is no longer the bogeyman that can harm me. It has turned into a non-entity. It is like a rock in my front yard, it has no attraction nor solutions for me so I don't even notice it. It is just there.

I wouldn't trade my life today for anything. It is amazing in it's simplicity. It was always there, I just needed to grab it and hold on. It is available to you. Grab it for and hold on. You won't have any regrets. I have never regretted passing on an opportunity to drink. I can't say the same thing about drinking. :~)

Old 05-20-2020, 03:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You've come to a good place for support and useful info. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Recovery,
I was about as bad a drinker as anyone - couldn't last three days.

This community helped me turn my life around.
The support and understanding really did make a difference for me

I needed to use it tho - every time I wanted to drink I had to commit to posting here first, and staying around until the urge passed.

I'd got to the point where I believed I couldn't live without drinking.
The good people here showed me that wasn't true.

It was tough at times in the beginning, but not tougher than my drinking life...and things got easier

Post and read. Make it a daily or more than daily thing - and ask for help when needed.

check out the May Sipport thread - its for everyone quitting this month. All you need to do to join is post in it.

Sometimes I posted for myself - most times I posted to others. I knew what I should do, I just had difficulty in applying that to myself - until I found this place.

People really can change and really can stay sober for good. I'm just one example. I'm glad you found us

D
Old 05-20-2020, 08:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Free.

Welcome Recovery417 and Doggiefriend!