Notices

Reality Check

Old 05-18-2020, 07:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reality Check

I posted not long ago about giving up alcohol and managing anger with mindfulness. I was snapping at my spouse and kids.

Reality hit hard. My spouse was diagnosed with cancer. 3 weeks ago. Lots of appointments. Good prognosis. But I feel like such an a*#hole.

It’s given me a whole new perspective. I have drank a few times and a couple of times to black out. I have to give it up. I can’t put that on top of the suffering they are already going to have.

I deserve this wake up call. I just hope it all works out. I’ve been humbled. I gotta take care of the kids too. Gotta handle this the right way.

Covid on top of it all.
I’m not much for sharing right now... I’m already in so many communication channels. Oh... yeah. I landed an awesome job during the past 3 weeks too. Started today.

Another reason to clean up my mess.

I plan to check in. Even if it’s for a day count.

I guess technically this is day 1 again.

Thanks for reading.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Coz

Wow - what a few weeks you have had.
Great idea to make this your 'technical day 1'. I look forward to your posts with the number of days going upwards!
Old 05-18-2020, 07:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yes, check in. do daily stuff to help ground that day one and days to come.
so you can be present for yourself, your partner and kids.

all recovery organizations, secular or not, have many online meetings these days.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for what brings you back but I am very glad you are back BEEL.
It may not be easy to reach oiut at first but its a great skill to develop - share the load.

All the best to you and your spouse

D
Old 05-21-2020, 04:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Old 05-21-2020, 07:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good job on Day 3, Beels, and I am so sorry about your spouse's cancer diagnosis. Clearly your family needs you right now and they need you to be sober and present and that's what you're accomplishing.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
saoutchik

It sure sounds like you have a lot to get sober for. Best wishes to your spouse and good luck to you BEELS.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's a lot to deal with! You are doing the absolute best thing by getting sober. It's hard under any circumstance and yours sounds extra stressful. You have great motivators for sobriety. You can do it
Old 05-23-2020, 06:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey,

sounds like something has come your way that may give you the strength. I feel that hard life challenges can either make us or break us. Main thing to do is keep trying and being there for those that need you especially at this time! But if you slip get back up and try again. I managed hard things and as soon as they were better I would relapse until something came along that made me not relapse during anything. Never saw it coming but it did happen. We are all here because at some point something triggered us for all different reasons. and being there for someone else is challenging but can help us stay focused at we can no longer just worry about our own emotions. Just remember drinking problems don’t stop because we want them to but they can slowly disappear into the background until we are strong enough to take control and say no to that first drink that takes us down the slippery road.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going BEELS?
D