Notices

social anxiety and social distancing

Old 05-13-2020, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

social anxiety and social distancing

The one thing that people might not think about is that people that have a hard time being around people are now told to stay home, which only makes their situations worse.  For example, the more I stay home the tougher it is to be around people.  One of the main reasons I continue to work and spend a lot of time at the gym is that I know helps a lot with being comfortable being around people.  It took a lot of work to just leave my apartment and get to feel comfortable being around people.  Now I feel like i am starting over.  John
Old 05-13-2020, 12:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we'll all be starting over, in a sense, John. &nbsp;That's what this pandemic is doing to our society.<div><br></div><div><br></div><div>Are you able to reach out to people via FaceTime or phone? &nbsp;That might be a way to connect, too. &nbsp;I've been smiling and waving at people I pass when I'm out walking and that feels good, too.</div>
Old 05-13-2020, 01:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I make a point of thanking people I interact with, at stores or anywhere.&nbsp; I try to always have something nice to say. &nbsp; And I also smile and wave at those I pass when walking my dog. &nbsp; Any sort of contact helps me, even at this reduced amount.<br>
Old 05-13-2020, 01:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I think we'll all be starting over, in a sense, John. &nbsp;That's what this pandemic is doing to our society.<div><br></div><div><br></div><div>Are you able to reach out to people via FaceTime or phone? &nbsp;That might be a way to connect, too. &nbsp;I've been smiling and waving at people I pass when I'm out walking and that feels good, too.</div>
<div><br></div><div>I have no idea what face time is, but I do talk to my sister every other week.&nbsp; I have been taking more chances and leaving my apartment to shop, partially to find people to talk to and that helps.&nbsp; John</div>
Old 05-13-2020, 01:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Facetime is video chat on smart phones, at least, that's what it is for my girls.&nbsp; They all have smart phones and can 'facetime' each other.<br>
Old 05-13-2020, 01:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Facetime is video chat on smart phones, at least, that's what it is for my girls.&nbsp; They all have smart phones and can 'facetime' each other.<br>
<div>Face time sounds pretty cool but unfortunately I have nobody to face time with. John</div>
Old 05-13-2020, 03:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your take is interesting 2MP. My extrovert friends swear up and down that they are the greatest sufferers under this newfound isolation we are all enduring, and that introverts are built for this. But I am with you. My introverted family members and friends are really not liking it either. Like you, even though personal connections might never be highest on their list of daily priorities, they still want and need human contact and the new isolation has made an already-difficult task of connecting that much more so. I hear you loud and clear. I am glad your gyms are still open. My introverted mates really really hate losing their gyms as they are closed in my state. Hang in there 2MP.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're able to work and go to the gym 2 Much.
I think the mental health longterm effects of this year will be with us for a long time, even after such a time as we find a vaccine..

If each of us reaches out and connects with someone else, even in cyber fashion, I think thats a good start.

D
Old 05-13-2020, 05:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I totally get it. I am an introvert but do enjoy being able to go to the store, coffee shop or restaurant on a whim. You are so lucky your gyms are open. I really miss being able to swim. I do run every day and that is what keeps my sanity. You seem like you are alone a lot. Have you ever thought of fostering a dog or adopting one?.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bethany57 View Post
I totally get it. I am an introvert but do enjoy being able to go to the store, coffee shop or restaurant on a whim. You are so lucky your gyms are open. I really miss being able to swim. I do run every day and that is what keeps my sanity. You seem like you are alone a lot. Have you ever thought of fostering a dog or adopting one?.
Sadly my gyms are not open yet and work doesn't start for another 3 months. I really don't get why gyms aren't open yet, yet hair salons and nail parlors are. It would be much easier avoiding close contact with people at a gym than at a hair salon. John
Old 05-13-2020, 05:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Being an extrovert during these times must be equally difficult, just in a different way. John
Old 05-13-2020, 06:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

2MP you say that you continue to work and spend a lot of time at the gym, but then you say that your gyms are not open yet and work doesn't start for another 3 months. I'm confused.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
2MP you say that you continue to work and spend a lot of time at the gym, but then you say that your gyms are not open yet and work doesn't start for another 3 months. I'm confused.
My bad. The reason I started this thread is cause of my inability to go to the gym cause its still closed and work doesn't start till September. My being isolated has exasporated my social anxiety, making not being involved in those activities more difficult to leave my apartment to do anything. Being around other people on a regular basis, ie. gym and work, makes it much easier for me to be around people in other situations. For example; there was a time when going to a grocery store was beyond stressful. I'd have my cart full, but would have to run out of the store cause my anxiety would be overwhelming. What take me days to build up enough courage just to shop. As long as I have a consistent plan to be involved in social situations like the gym, than it makes it much easier to leave my apartment to do other things that involve being around other people. I am having a lot of problems now even shopping cause i lake the consistent interaction I'm used to. The longer i stay home, the harder it is to leave. John
Old 05-13-2020, 09:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope when the time comes you'll find it easier than you fear it might be John

D
Old 05-14-2020, 10:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi John

Have you considered a dog? Or maybe you have one already. If you aren't drinking and plan to stay sober dogs are amazing companions. And they need walking so one is forced outside. They provide unconditional love.....

They are definitely a responsibility tho and a bit of a cost. But as an introvert my furbabies help me tremendously. Now I've been training for decades for this quarantine but I know I'm a weirdo.

This won't last forever.
Old 05-14-2020, 12:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am quite far into the introverted end of the spectrum, and initially (for several weeks) enjoyed the lockdown and all the sudden time and opportunities to do as I wished in the comfort of my home, even felt my anxiety reduced not increased pretty massively...but it's definitely getting too much. I think the main social differences between what we call introverts and extroverts is the amount and type of interaction we like/need, but we all need some - most humans are not made to be totally solitary and live in isolation for a long time. My city will start opening up somewhat soon, but the places I usually enjoy the most recreationally (museums, galleries, theaters, restaurants, 3D life classes and lectures) will take a while. And just getting comfortable using transportation for those of us who don't own a car. Having pets can be great substitute for some, but it does not work for everyone, just not the same level.

In the meantime, there are so many activities that have moved to online platforms now, including recovery meetings. You could definitely find something that fits your interests and comfort level, 2much. Other than that, I also like what Anna mentioned: smiling and waving at people from 6 feet away, from behind my mask, even having a few words with strangers that way, when I feel like someone grabs my interest. That is definitely not quality interaction, but can give a momentary sense of connection and some warm feelings.