Notices

Day 4, Ready to start climbing back up again.

Old 05-07-2020, 03:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Here and now

Day 4, Ready to start climbing back up again.

Had a pretty good day, got a fulls day work in for the first time since last friday, had some ups and downs with mood (Which I am assuming is normal).
A thought that came into my head, at first it was a sadness that I was at the beginning again, the bottom of the mountain looking up again, and that terrified me. Then I thought how great of an opportunity I get. Some people don't get another chance, some people never let them selves have the opportunity to rebuild or to climb that mountain back to a happy and sober life, and I have just given myself that opportunity by stopping my binges before it got even more dire. How dare I spoil that opportunity again. I won't. But I know now that I need to stop going it alone, though I have to walk it I can get some advice on which route to take on my way up.
Hope that made sense, I am very grateful to be here today.
"Everest is obvious to climb, cause it's there, it's a mountain, personal Everests, you can't see them... that journey to the top of the mountain & back down again is fraught with hazards, and no one can see it but you.." - Tom hardy
Old 05-07-2020, 05:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it makes sense to me.

I think recovery is a very personal journey. I think we are all right where we should be on that journey, but we can share it with others who are on their journey. We're not alone.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I like the analogy. I may use it myself.

I've been climbing alone so far.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am on day 6 currently my fellow Torontonian. Back to zero degrees....smh.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Here and now

Today was miserable weather wise - physically I feel 100%. Today was a good day though, I will be extra careful now that it is the weekend.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

All those thoughts and musings in your original post are valid. It's what we do with them, how we manage them, how we exert our ability to shape the future that counts.
Feels like a mountain at times for sure. But really - as someone smart around here says - it's just chopping wood and carrying water. The longer you go the less distracted you become by the management of it all.
Bet you haven't even realized yet just how much energy and space booze occupies in your life. You don't even have to be drinking for it to be dominating your world. Think about that. Think about how much space will be there in your life for good things once you let those pathways in your brain subside a bit and let new ones get wired.
And it's actually really simple. No matter what you think, no matter how valid it seems, no matter how ****** you feel... just don't drink.
Chop wood. Carry water.
-B