Notices

What's been your experience with Antabuse?

Old 05-06-2020, 01:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What's been your experience with Antabuse?

It seems like it could be a real game changer for me
But a part of me wonders if I'll drink on it

What has your experience been? Did it help
​​​?

It takes two weeks for it to leave your system. So it takes away the option for spontaneous relapse.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I haven't used it FF - no matter what opinions you get here, ask your Dr if they think it's worth a try.
D
Old 05-06-2020, 02:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I haven't used it FF - no matter what opinions you get here, ask your Dr if they think it's worth a try.
D
He's already prescribed it. I'm going to start taking it in a few days.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

its got to be worth a try then, right?
D
Old 05-06-2020, 03:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I used it in the beginning when I knew I would be in a situation where I may be tempted to drink. It can be helpful in addition to other support systems. When I went to rehab many years ago, we were all put on it the last week so it acted as a deterrent for drinking upon release.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
totfit

If one already has a desire not to drink and want the extra measure, it can be a great help. Many years ago after drinking again after a couple of years sober, I could not get any sober "traction". I found myself in a horrible merry go round and could not get stopped it seemed, no matter what I tried. I went to a Doctor and requested it out of desperation. He had never prescribed it and looked it up with me in the PDR. We decided to "give it a go". At that time in my life, it became extremely helpful for the added measure to help me gain sober perspective. It was very helpful for me at one time.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you drink while taking it, you won't do that again, that's for sure.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have no experience with it but I certainly think that it is a drug that demands respect, especially if you take the risk of drinking on it.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I knew I had to quit for good, but found it excruciatingly hard to do so like we all do, my first port of call was to ask my GP about Antabuse. She was worried about the side effects. I read on various sites that such side effects can be caused by inadvertent alcohol use such as hand gel. Even tomatoes can cause problems apparently, although I doubt that.
My GP recommended I try Acamprosate aka Campril which is less risky. This works by reducing the cravings. There are no side effects, and you can drink if you so choose whilst taking it.
I took Campril for five weeks. In retrospect, I realised it did nothing for me physically as five weeks is not long enough for the drug to work. However, the fact I had gone to the trouble of getting and paying for the drug meant it was even more crazy to drink. Those five weeks off were all I needed to quit for good 16 months ago.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I haven't used it, but I hope that it works and helps you.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was on it briefly. I just drank on it anyway. I threw up a lot and it was difficult to get drunk, but I still drank. It did make me very nauseous however. It wasn't quite enough to keep the alcoholic in me at bay.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

be careful. I ate wine cheese (I wasn't paying attention) and got really ill
Old 05-07-2020, 06:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I used it.
It did help for a while, however if you do try to drink on it the consequences as severe and can even cause death. I tried after stopping taking it for four days. Was lucky didn’t end up in hospital but my breathing slowed down, vomiting, skin turned a purple red colour and was disorientate and hallucinating. I was monitored at home by medical professionals and my symptoms improved after a few hours.
also tried acamprosate and didn’t help but everyone is different.
Many relapses later, each one worse and more severe than the other something happened in my life that changed everything and haven’t had anything in a long time.
I guess if a doctor is happy to issue it to you take their advice and don’t rely too much on everyone’s else’s experience, as some say that they did drink on it and nothing happened. For some medication is wonderful or they find a higher power and attend AA religiously and for others we just reach a turning point in our life and find the strength without medication or support groups.
My advice on the matter is alway speak to a medical professional and if slips happen as hard as they can be to admit you must inform them so you can get the best possible care which could be life saving.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I should also add, not sure if you are a man or woman, age or anything.
Antabuse can have extremely severe effects on a unborn baby. So if this is something anyone is considering or trying they should be advised to research this and discuss with a doctor.
i am not a medical professional and can not provide medical advice.
Just wanted to share this in case anyone does want to consider it to keep in mind discussing all possible side effects.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
If you drink while taking it, you won't do that again, that's for sure.

Wanna bet?!
Old 05-07-2020, 11:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Antabuse on its own is almost never enough. It’s never enough for me. But it has definitely helped me multiple times. But when I’m not doing other, more effective things to treat my illness and my soul, it’s not enough. Still, I recommend it.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Just after taking my second pill. It feels good knowing I can't drink. I'm using SR, SMART and AVRT so not just depending on the drug.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Take every bit of help you can get and never give up trying until you succeed, which you will.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Had really bad nausea since I started taking it and realized it was because of using hand sanitizer. Can't imagine what it'd be like if I actually drank
Old 05-09-2020, 02:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Many years ago I asked my GP if he could prescribe it for me as I was desperate to keep off alcohol (my job was at risk due to me not turning up for work) but he refused to prescribe it while I wasn't getting any ongoing support from an alcohol counsellor. I never did end up taking it but I do know some people who did take it and they found it did help keep them off alcohol simply through knowing that they could become violently sick if they drank.

The nearest I've come to taking something similar to Antabuse was a few years ago when I had a severe gum infection and was prescribed the antibiotic Metronidazole. It came with plenty of warnings, one being not to drink any alcohol when taking it or for a few days afterwards. Metronidazole seems to have a similar effect as Antabuse on the body if alcohol is taken. It had the desired effect for me as I was too frightened to even try to drink while taking it. And I don't know if it was my imagination but I found even things like shower gel and toothpaste made me feel flushed and slightly dizzy. Maybe you are getting that same effect from using hand sanitizer while taking Antabuse?