Notices

Day Zero

Old 05-04-2020, 10:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day Zero

OK, y'all. I'm having my last drink right now. It's time. My withdrawal symptoms were getting scary so I bit the bullet and went to the Dr today. He prescribed me 21 pills of librium. I work nights so I'll start taking them in about 12 hours. The bottle says no more than three per day. What's the next few days going to look like for me? Anyone here have any experience with Librium?
Old 05-04-2020, 11:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What kind of work do you do?
Old 05-04-2020, 11:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Machine operator.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've only ever had Librium in a hospital setting, it is not allowed to be prescribed at home here. In my earlier detoxes it made me go to sleep mainly, but my more severe withdrawals it stopped me from having seizures but I was still very unwell. I would say take what is prescribed but if your symptoms still show w, do not drink on top of that and get to a doctor or emergency room straight away.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jttx81 View Post
Machine operator.

I'm not a doctor, but I think operating machinery is not recommended on Librium. Again, not a doctor.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Does your doctor know that you are a machine-operator and what advice did he give you about the librium? You might be able to schedule a virtual visit and get some information from your doctor.
Old 05-04-2020, 12:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I went on Librium twice, just before my two Treatments. DO NOT drink on them! It can be quite dangerous and I got some bit of a high off them aswell. They made my thinking very fuzzy but they did stop the shakes after a few hours. I did manage to get to sleep on them after nights of being wide awake. Detox for me was a very hard and difficult experience. Take them as directed. Good luck.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like Anna said you need to ask your doctor about dosage.
I can't imagine your Dr doesn't know you're a machine operator, but if you experience any side effects from the medication please do see your Doctor again.
As others have said, please do not drink on these meds.
D
Old 05-04-2020, 02:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am not a machine operator, but I am a court stenographer which requires a fair amount of being alert and dexterous. I was prescribed librium for panic attacks years ago. They were not a high dosage. I would take one in the morning after breakfast (take them with food!) and I also had coffee. They really helped my anxiety and I was able to perform well. I took them at night to sleep and I took them earlier in the evening because they take about an hour to kick in and I didn't want to wake up feeling dopey. This is just my personal experience. Please check with your doctor. Good luck to you!
Old 05-04-2020, 04:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Here's to your last drink!!! I'll drink a cup of coffee to that!!! Please tell me you told your doctor about your job and intention of taking the prescribed meds while doing your job. If not, get online with them. These days I think they will advise you remotely. Good luck and I am so happy this is it for the drink!!!
Old 05-04-2020, 08:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great job on your decision to quite drinking!! I have not taken Librium but have heard that it can be a very helpful tool through detox. Stay safe and we’re all here for you. You’ll feel so much better on the other side
Old 05-04-2020, 11:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
EndGame

It's a fairly powerful benzo that is used to treat symptoms of alcohol withdrawal. It slows down the brain as a means of lowering anxiety.

I was treated with Librium in a medical detox. The doses were likely high; I was out of it much of the time and happy to have been so.

If you didn't ask the prescribing doctor what you've asked here, then that's the next thing you need to do.

This is a typical warning for the use of Librium/Chlordiazepoxide HCI: May impair the mental and/or physical abilities required for the performance of potentially hazardous tasks such as driving a vehicle or operating machinery. Similarly, it may impair mental alertness in children. The concomitant use of alcohol or other central nervous system depressants may have an additive effect. PATIENTS SHOULD BE WARNED ACCORDINGLY.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Does your doctor know that you are a machine-operator and what advice did he give you about the librium? You might be able to schedule a virtual visit and get some information from your doctor.
He honestly didn't tell me much. The bottle says three pills a day, as needed. They're 25mg.

The Dr didn't give me a taper off schedule, he basically just said take a pill when you feel like you need to. I took one before bed, and then another when I woke up at 9pm to go to work. Was feeling pretty jerky so I took another one at midnight, almost 11 hours ago, and I'm feeling alright. Going to hold off another couple of hours before my next one, if I can.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reid82 View Post
I went on Librium twice, just before my two Treatments. DO NOT drink on them! It can be quite dangerous and I got some bit of a high off them aswell. They made my thinking very fuzzy but they did stop the shakes after a few hours. I did manage to get to sleep on them after nights of being wide awake. Detox for me was a very hard and difficult experience. Take them as directed. Good luck.
Thanks. So far they just make me groggy.